Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 369325 times)

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1350 on: November 05, 2022, 09:19:48 PM »
On both Pluto & Roku (so finalized copy), 5692D's Barker's Bargain Bar playing edits out "oriental" on a chest prize and completely skips both prize descriptions.

SuperBall!! on 5692D had a three-wheeled vehicle that was very close to looking like a car. Lot of those "diet car" playings showing up, as chat called it.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1351 on: November 06, 2022, 10:11:05 PM »
On both Pluto & Roku (so finalized copy), 5692D's Barker's Bargain Bar playing edits out "oriental" on a chest prize and completely skips both prize descriptions.

Earlier in this batch of fifty, the reveal and description of a rug in Any Number was completely edited out. In the most recent batch of "new" Press Your Luck episodes aired on Buzzr, the word was muted in the prize copy for a trip to Hong Kong. That appears to be standard operating procedure on the Fremantle-owned networks now.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1352 on: November 07, 2022, 01:52:58 AM »
Earlier in this batch of fifty, the reveal and description of a rug in Any Number was completely edited out. In the most recent batch of "new" Press Your Luck episodes aired on Buzzr, the word was muted in the prize copy for a trip to Hong Kong. That appears to be standard operating procedure on the Fremantle-owned networks now.
First of all, muting it would be a far better solution than the hack job they did. I don't agree with it, but it's certainly the much better and less jarring option, one that they've employed on Cullen TPIR episodes for certain words and announced addresses.

Secondly, I just wish there were consistency among doing it. There's a pack of ramen noodles that's shown up in quite a few grocery product games this batch whose description includes the word "oriental" that I have yet to hear muted or chopped out yet.

To me it seems like such a hefty endeavor to have to pay that close attention to every episode they convert when they probably only have a very small dedicated team trying to convert these episodes as fast as possible on however few machines they have access to. In some cases, you're not going to catch everything and clearly they aren't. I'm not saying just give up on trying to be sensitive to people's feelings, but it does seem futile to try and make the show completely palatable to 2022 sensibilities. There's still plenty of Bob comments that could still be called into question and after certain point, you'd have to mute half the show. I've always been an advocate of attaching a disclaimer either to the beginning, ending, or breaks of a program to inform people of outdated language or imagery because it feels like you're going to leave more questions than answers by tap dancing around singular words. Of course, I don't mean for that to be some kind of excuse for anyone to air any offensive thing they want as long as they attach a disclaimer to it, but I certainly think that certain insensitive language or depictions can be carefully shown while clearly placing their use into historical context.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1353 on: November 09, 2022, 12:31:20 AM »
Back-to-back SC winners in tonight's shows that were well above 30k in total winnings, that was exciting.

5703D featured Plinko 5th and Hit Me 6th. Feeless halves in the 80s and 90s were basically nonexistent, so this was quite a shock. Back to back like this even more so.

Code: [Select]
DISCLAIMER: Playings marked with the ? flag belong to a lineup that is, at worst, close to the given production number.
DISCLAIMER: Slotting of uncertainly slotted playings factored into results.

15 lineups found in DAYTIME for
C & D & (A | B) ; where

A = any FEE game (x0), played in the first half
B = any FEE game (x0), played in the second half
C = any game played 6th
D = SEASON is at least 5 and at most 28

PROD    S      AIRDATE                 PG1                   PG2                   PG3                   PG4             PG5                       PG6
2085D    5  Oct 22 1976  Most Expensive (^)       Ten Chances (^)      Danger Price (^)        Switcheroo (^)       Hi Lo (^)            Clock Game (^)
3405D    8  Sep 28 1979   Safe Crackers (^)        Temptation (^)      Squeeze Play (^)          Take Two (^)  Switcheroo (^)              Bullseye (^)
3474D    8  Nov 15 1979   Safe Crackers (?)         Dice Game (^)      Squeeze Play (^)          Take Two (^)     Hurdles (^)       Five Price Tags (^)
4532D   10  May 18 1982      Switcheroo (^)     Safe Crackers (^)             Hi Lo (^)      Danger Price (^)   Card Game (^)  Barker's Bargain Bar (^)
4543D   10  May 26 1982         Golden Road            Range Game            Shell Game             Race Game   Double Prices                Money Game
5073D   12  Nov 09 1983               Hi Lo            Clock Game                Plinko         1 Right Price   New Card Game              Walk of Fame
5703D   13  Apr 24 1985          Clock Game             3 Strikes  Barker's Bargain Bar             Race Game          Plinko                    Hit Me
6145D   14  May 30 1986         Lucky $even          Danger Price                Plinko                  Bump   Double Prices               Ten Chances
7224D   17  Apr 06 1989          Range Game            Master Key       Phone Home Game            Poker Game        One Away                      Bump
8472D   20  Jun 09 1992      Make Your Move         Pick-a-Number           Ten Chances            Clock Game      Range Game                Master Key
9505D   23  Mar 17 1995        Super Ball!!    Freeze Frame (car)          Grocery Game          Squeeze Play         Switch?                 Dice Game
9544D   23  Apr 13 1995            Cover Up  Barker's Bargain Bar         Pick-a-Number             Race Game      Pathfinder                    Hit Me
9664D   24  Sep 28 1995         Credit Card            Range Game             Dice Game  2 for the Price of 1      Grand Game                Any Number
1211K   28  Oct 11 1999          Check Game            Line em Up         Double Prices            Clock Game      Range Game       Cliff Hangers (car)
1482K   28  Jun 06 2000      Make Your Move            Pathfinder          Grocery Game         Double Prices    Danger Price                 Dice Game
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 12:34:26 AM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #1354 on: November 09, 2022, 02:18:15 PM »
Random note about #5702D, which aired yesterday: It aired on the day New Coke was announced.

Offline C8

« Reply #1355 on: November 09, 2022, 09:08:27 PM »
The episode on right now (9p EST 11-9-22) is so cool. Bob opens by walking over to the producer’s table to wish Phil Wayne a happy birthday and harass Fingers and Roger. In doing so, he walks right in front of the game board, spoiling the whole episode’s lineup. What a neat shot plus neat to see the major production crew all in one place.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1356 on: November 11, 2022, 03:09:55 AM »
After an episode in which the producers had to yell to Bob which prizes the contestant had won in Master Key because the locks weren't activating, they installed red lights at the bottom of the game so they'd have a visual confirmation that the game was properly plugged in. And now we know exactly when that happened.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1357 on: November 11, 2022, 06:36:13 AM »
After an episode in which the producers had to yell to Bob which prizes the contestant had won in Master Key because the locks weren't activating, they installed red lights at the bottom of the game so they'd have a visual confirmation that the game was properly plugged in. And now we know exactly when that happened.

Man, I always wondered what those lights were. I thought maybe they were a visual cue for which key to check first.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1358 on: November 11, 2022, 09:29:58 PM »
Watching tonight's episodes including that infamous "Little Horn" One Away episode from 5714D.  As mentioned, with all of the recent consecutive One Away perfections, looks like Bob forgot how the game worked.

On a somewhat related note, the still photos following the conclusion of pricing games (and sometimes the showcases) have begun.  Not a ton per episode, but just one or two.  It was definitely featured for Edith's One Away win, but I think it definitely started in 5705D following a perfect playing of On The Nose
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1359 on: November 12, 2022, 10:49:59 AM »
In one of the recent '85 episodes, Bob pointed out a new rangefinder had been installed on Range Game, at which point he mentioned the problems they had with the old one in past episodes. Also in these episodes, Bob is beginning to make the "37 hours" joke, although frequently varying the amount of time.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1360 on: November 13, 2022, 10:25:10 AM »
That playing of Range Game also dispels the myth noted on the FAQ that the gold stripes and new red button without the word "STOP" appeared before the new Rangefinder did as that playing (5714D, the same episode with that infamous One Away "Little horn" playing) still used the original red button with "STOP" and the red stripes. Within the next four playings, the new button, gold stripes, and freshening of the green side border will be introduced.

5715D was certainly a fun episode to watch, with a couple technical bloopers including the show's opening logo appearing in front of Door #2 early along with the Turntable spinning at the incorrect time in the Showcase. It's possible that episode was taped on April Fool's Day given that one contestant from Augusta, GA mentioned that the Masters golf tournament was next week, which took place from April 11-14 that year. It also featured a Deluxe Dice Game playing with an assured win (all 1's and 6's) as well as the most expensive prize ever offered and awarded on Golden Road. The last 40 episodes have certainly been more fun than the preceding 100 with more winners, funny moments, and great contestants.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 10:27:34 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #1361 on: November 13, 2022, 01:22:24 PM »
Once again with the inconsistency in censoring "Oriental" on the May 3, 1985 episode.

Truthfully speaking, I legit didn't even know that it is now considered to be a highly offensive word until recently. For the record, I've never seen it censored on Classic Concentration, when describing a particular rug.

Offline wheelfan1991

• "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #1362 on: November 14, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »
Was it common for the girls to repeat outfits back then? On the episode with the goofed opening graphics, I know I've seen them wear that dress at least twice before if not more.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline C8

« Reply #1363 on: November 14, 2022, 10:37:58 AM »
Was it common for the girls to repeat outfits back then? On the episode with the goofed opening graphics, I know I've seen them wear that dress at least twice before if not more.

Yes. There's a beige/black dress that crosses diagonally across the center they seem to wear every other episode in 84/85 (I'm not sure if that's the one you're referring to).

Watching tonight's episodes including that infamous "Little Horn" One Away episode from 5714D.  As mentioned, with all of the recent consecutive One Away perfections, looks like Bob forgot how the game worked.

It was interesting finally watching this in context. I always assumed it was one of the earliest One Away playings. Imagine my surprise to find it at the end of 85 after a string of One Away perfectas (which are so rare anymore I also was surprised to see them relatively common at first). Sure enough if you pay close enough attention after Edith makes her corrections you can clearly sense Bob freeze before he goes with the horns on the fly. Everyone is caught off guard, hence the ding instead of the horn and whatever mechanism reveals the price getting one digit ahead. Fascinating stuff.

Also interesting seeing 3 Strikes + played for a $27k Cadillac last night. Heartbreaking loss but curious if it was common for 3 Strikes + to be played for luxury cards when it was played + or if that was a one time fluke. I can't recall seeing a Cadillac outside Golden Road up to this point. I know 3 Strikes is played for normal $10k+ cars in the 90s after the + is dropped and that One Away gets played for luxury cars on the regular. Any idea when that starts?

Also, I wonder if the budget was running a surplus in 84/85 as these new 50 are sure as heck showing some pretty wild, high budget prizes as the season nears a close.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 10:47:30 AM by C8 »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1364 on: November 16, 2022, 11:37:19 PM »
A couple notes on the penultimate evening of Barker Era price: 5733D may have been an instant classic (around that time at least).  The Range Game board update occurred with the current button (no more "STOP" button) as well as the gold stripes.  Prior to that segment featured a nice $10,000+ Punch A Bunch outcome.  5734D features the update to the Penny Ante color scheme.  The show started with Golden Road for a Jaguar.  The player fell short there.  As the second episode moved forward with no IUFBs featuring the train or the tugboat, it probably meant that those would surface in the showcase, which they did.

Last episodes air tomorrow (Thursday from 8-10 PM Eastern).  I believe the schedules work out to where those that missed the content from the latest drop can catch up starting this weekend.

I think I definitely like this format better than the previous one.  While it took forever to release it before dropping it at a rather busy time with not much warning, this is better since it's only a couple episodes a night as opposed to a whole bunch at once.  Or 25 episodes before they'd start back to the very beginning before getting back to the latest release
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck