Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368708 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1440 on: March 09, 2023, 09:45:19 AM »
Regarding any potential transition episodes with the blue/red audience seats it could be similar to the 1975 Nighttime episodes with Dennis James where there were some episodes produced with the old orange Contestants' Row displays with the new turntable and big door set, but never seen in a similar configuration for daytime. It's possible that either production for daytime had a week off, or the sets were changed over the weekend while the Kennedy version taped. Finally, we'll see if the September 23, 1985 episode is indeed the replaced one (#58XXD, although I like to refer to it as #5811R in a similar matter to #0003R), since I believe that the original episode may have more than likely be wiped as if the show never existed; this would likely be the first appearance the return of the green Contestants' Row borders since the replacement show taped just after the summer taping break.

Other set changes to look out for in addition to what's been mentioned are:

*The current One Away horn
*The brighter, glitter pink logo on the Plinko sign and the $25,000 display
*The six-sided "Goodson" asterisks on Hi-Lo
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1441 on: March 13, 2023, 07:00:46 PM »
Someone decided last-second that Bump is unsuitable to air. All the Bump episodes will be skipped (as well as the unaired episode, which was expected).

https://c.vxtwitter.com/user/status/1635408247372025857

EDIT: Actually the one non-Bump episode listed here is 5823D. Were we going to get an unaired episode? Dang.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 07:06:14 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1442 on: March 13, 2023, 08:49:10 PM »
Someone decided last-second that Bump is unsuitable to air. All the Bump episodes will be skipped (as well as the unaired episode, which was expected).

https://c.vxtwitter.com/user/status/1635408247372025857

EDIT: Actually the one non-Bump episode listed here is 5823D. Were we going to get an unaired episode? Dang.

Well this is tragic.

According to the FAQ, Johnny’s last episode is 11/21/85. That has Bump in the lineup.

According to the FAQ, Rod’s first audition ep is 12/9/85. That has Bump in the lineup.

No doubt other impacts but those stood out to me. At least Rod’s first permanent episode doesn’t have Bump in the lineup.

I wonder what the big deal is. Do they still have to clear the eps by the talent? Could Bob or Dian have shot it down?

Bump is hardly salacious by any modern standard and it was around several years in late 80s daytime without issue.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1443 on: March 13, 2023, 09:07:33 PM »
I do hope they reconsider as this will remove a decent portion of the episodes from airing and it's not like the current rotation is controversy free.

It's a fun game to predict when Bob will say something that wouldn't pass the standard on TV today. Usually doesn't take too long and mostly sexist.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1444 on: March 13, 2023, 10:32:54 PM »
I do hope they reconsider as this will remove a decent portion of the episodes from airing and it's not like the current rotation is controversy free.

It's a fun game to predict when Bob will say something that wouldn't pass the standard on TV today. Usually doesn't take too long and mostly sexist.

I just want to note how much I appreciate this post. It's very...something...that, "ok, Bob's routinely been sexist (and racist and occasionally homophobic) pig on the previous 550 shows, but THIS is where we draw the line"

On the flip side, given some of the absolutely terrible people I've seen get Big Mad about this, maybe they've got a point in skipping it. 

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #1445 on: March 13, 2023, 10:43:14 PM »
I just want to note how much I appreciate this post. It's very...something...that, "ok, Bob's routinely been sexist (and racist and occasionally homophobic) pig on the previous 550 shows, but THIS is where we draw the line"
Barker flat out said the n-word (unintentionally, trying to speak of Arnold Schwarzenegger) in an episode that is currently streaming on-demand and is still in rotation yet some hip action by the models is enough to get the episodes pulled now. I'm fine with them drawing the line, I just wish the line made some resemblance of sense.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1446 on: March 13, 2023, 10:58:01 PM »
In a different context, skipping Bump would make absolute total sense. (And full disclosure: seeing all these 80s shows has MASSIVELY dimmed my opinion of Barker as a host, but raised my opinion dramatically of Janice and Holly).

This just feels like a weird place and time to have that boundary given what we've already seen in the last 3 years. (unless there's a contractual/clearance issue at play)

Also editing to add that absolutely no one save a few people at Fremantle know what's going on here, and for whatever reason they're not talking. Could be content, could be contractual, who knows.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:30:03 AM by Chelsea »

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1447 on: March 14, 2023, 07:02:04 AM »
If Bump was still around today, they would have long dropped the models and instead let the contestant or Drew do the bumping themselves. That said, I feel that while the models motions would still be acceptable, I'd assign all episodes with "Bump" as having a TV-14 S rating if it ever becomes suitable to air. But that's 200 episodes if this policy stands that would be yanked from the rotation, and this also includes a playing of Golden Road from this batch. 5823D was slated to be the lone skipped episode, and with the possible exception of Safe Crackers' new set, wouldn't have too much in terms of set changes, with the common Phone Home Game being the only retired game in that set. It also would have meant that the replacement September 23, 1985 episode would have aired, but at least tells us that exists, but does hint that the original episode was quickly wiped like 0003N was.

Nostalgia as they say goes in cycles, with the 20 year mark usually the point where a decade becomes fondly remembered. However, I'd say around the 35-40 year mark seems to be more or less the "revisionist history" marker, where a lot of content that may have been marginally acceptable at the present becomes obviously unsuitable for current audiences. We saw that in the 1990s with a lot of shows from the 1950s/early '60s becoming "Banned" due to similar cultural issues, primarily pertaining with racism, and a lot of Nazi/old Japan-related media got banned in the 1970s, most notably select Looney Tunes shorts. Certain episodes of Classic Concentration, most notably the 1990 Cinco de Mayo episode, has something similar regarding the mistreatment of the Latino community.

That said, the first episode of this new set featured the debut of the new AT859 microphones on the Showcase podiums, which was the last known set change prior to the new red seats being installed in the audience. It's too bad that Bump will be skipped, since that also features a couple set/production changes early in its life. In addition to the flag's color change, the drum sounds that were used for a bump were not present on its debut; the snare drum and tympani sound for bumping was known to be used by its fifth playing on October 17, 1985, with the duller blue color known to be used by 5945D, which was when Bob Eubanks appeared to plug Card Sharks.

The official YouTube channel spoiled part of the results of the second episode (5743D) last night by showing the entire first SCSD, and this even mentioned Hit Me by name along with Bob's ever popular "enjoy your new car" line for a contestant beat by the wheel but winning her game.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1448 on: March 14, 2023, 01:52:42 PM »
This just feels like a weird place and time to have that boundary given what we've already seen in the last 3 years. (unless there's a contractual/clearance issue at play)

This is an interesting point to consider and got me to thinking. I wonder if, when it was decided to put The Barker Era out on Pluto, if perhaps those who made that call and began airing the episodes really had no idea just how bad Bob's sexism in the 80s was. Based on the smattering of non Pluto vintage eps I've seen, It always seemed to be there latently in the 70s, picked up in the early 80s, got really bad after Dorthy Jo died, and ends about the time everything goes down with Dian. Rewatching these eps on Pluto I'll occasionally find myself going "oh my god he said that..."

So perhaps Bump isn't where the line was drawn given there's worse things out there. Perhaps its where the line had to be drawn after TPTB realized how things could get. When the Rod ep aired before the redemption special, there was talk here that some discussion of Native Americans in Virginia was edited out of the Range Game playing. Its not realistic, probably, to go edit all these episodes given Pluto's low overhead. And, as the earlier The Barker Era episodes fall out of the rotation, so will the questionable things Bob said that got missed.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:55:53 PM by C8 »

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1449 on: March 14, 2023, 06:14:37 PM »
Hopefully we don't get a group of cancel culture people calling for the Barker Era to removed from all platforms permanently.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #1450 on: March 14, 2023, 06:38:59 PM »
I feel like a disclaimer could be effective. Something along the lines of:

The following program was a product of it's time and therefore may contain language or behavior that is not acceptable by today's standards. Viewer discretion is advised.

Something simple yet covering all bases like when Looney Tunes came out on DVD some years ago.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1451 on: March 14, 2023, 06:40:54 PM »
I feel like a disclaimer could be effective. Something along the lines of:

The following program was a product of it's time and therefore may contain language or behavior that is not acceptable by today's standards. Viewer discretion is advised.

Something simple yet covering all bases like when Looney Tunes came out on DVD some years ago.

That’s honestly the best method. Basically tell viewers that the show was a product of its time, but otherwise leave the source material alone.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1452 on: March 14, 2023, 06:45:44 PM »
Hopefully we don't get a group of cancel culture people calling for the Barker Era to removed from all platforms permanently.

I doubt it, but IMO it’s a fair talking point.  If TPTB decided (at the eleventh hour) to pull episodes that included a playing of Bump, then I think it’s fair enough to question if it was a great idea to start the channel in the first place.

IIRC, there were discussions in chat about how they’d approach Season 14 with Bump coming up.  I believe the chances of them skipping those episodes were mentioned as a possibility.  I think what may be frustrating is the fact that they were planning to include them in the rotation.  I still think several would have been upset if they decided to forgo airing episodes featuring Bump from the get-go, but I don’t know or think it would’ve been startling.

Nothing to lose sleep over (Price sans Bump), but it’s annoying due to the fact that everything else within the episode gets passed over for a 90 second segment
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Sotc2022

• In the Audience
« Reply #1453 on: March 14, 2023, 06:47:39 PM »
Some guy on Facebook. I was friends with him, but then he blocked me when I tried to question him on some things. He was the origin of those aforementioned claims that I heard from. And I suspect he may have been the one who started the rumor about any TPIR episodes with Bump as a pricing game being skipped.

Well, I guess Mr Nissan can't apologize as Greg's claim turned out to be true. Lol

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1454 on: March 14, 2023, 07:21:31 PM »
Well, I guess Mr Nissan can't apologize as Greg's claim turned out to be true. Lol

What's that old saying about a broken clock?