Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368920 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1455 on: March 14, 2023, 07:41:25 PM »
What's that old saying about a broken clock?
I've had multiple broken clocks in my time, and every last one of them was more useful than Mr. Nissan.

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #1456 on: March 14, 2023, 08:27:45 PM »

didn't remember the game, so I imagine others might also have no reference. quick scan of youtube shows janice and dian started 'bumping' after this, but holly is *way* more suggestive / scandalous in the following prize reveal for balance game than they ever were IMO.

light salaciousness was built in from the start. truly puzzled why they're pulling eps now

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1457 on: March 14, 2023, 09:21:28 PM »
So, they're skipping episodes with Bump, yet keep in an episode in the new batch with Bob telling the audience that every relationship Dian was in "crumbles apart" during one of the models' chats. :lol: Yay, consistency. I'm with Chelsea on this, it seems like a odd time now to put the foot down on "questionable" content. Especially with how scatterbrained and inconsistent the things they do edit around.
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1458 on: March 14, 2023, 10:01:40 PM »
I'm with the majority here -- with some of the things they have aired from Seasons 11, 12, and 13, this seems like a pretty odd thing to suddenly be worried about showing.

And really, the reaction both here and on the GSF so far seems to be a calm, steady rhythm of "This isn't the end of the world, but it seems pretty silly."  Who's to say the powers that be don't see that and reconsider?  There's still plenty of time for them to change their minds, and plenty of loops in the future where they could just drop them in unannounced.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1459 on: March 14, 2023, 10:20:19 PM »
Is it possible that Bob and/or Dian themselves requested that Bump not be rerun? It would be an odd thing to announce at the last minute if so, but given why it was ultimately retired, it doesn't seem too far-fetched...

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1460 on: March 14, 2023, 11:19:02 PM »
Speaking of things that this channel has chosen not to air: I can't figure out what aspect of a collection of sweaters would necessitate the plug being cut from one of today's episodes.

(I recognize that a viewer trying to identify the offensive content defeats the purpose of editing it out in the first place.)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1461 on: March 15, 2023, 03:29:45 PM »
I've been fascinated by the evolution of Bob's demeanor over his timespan as host. I started watching daily in the late '90s, and never really noticed how different that Bob Barker was from '80s Bob Barker until watching the daily Pluto stream. Aside from sexually inappropriate remarks, I'm repeatedly struck by how MEAN Barker sometimes can be to contestants in '80s episodes. I always thought of Bob as being cantankerous with clueless contestants, but it came off differently in the '90s when he was old and the contestants were mainly showboating college kids who often seemed like they needed to be taken down a peg. But when Bob is a youthful-looking 60 and raking a shy housewife or somebody's grandma over the coals because she doesn't get Check Game and she looks like she just wants to crawl under a rock and hide...I'm not trying to label Barker as a monster who needs to be canceled or anything but there's a sharp difference in these episodes from the way I remember him.

Obviously a big factor in his reigning it in was the debacles with Dian and Holly, but it was also around the same time that the show started losing time to commercials and Bob didn't have as much time to go off the rails.

I feel like 70's Bob was yet another Bob who wasn't quite as much of a legend yet and was more focused on being polite and pleasant. One thing that bugs me about this Bump thing...if they can go through and take out all the Bump episodes, can't they just as easily go through the 70s episodes and take out the ones with furs?

Offline jericho

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1462 on: March 15, 2023, 03:39:06 PM »
Someone decided last-second that Bump is unsuitable to air. All the Bump episodes will be skipped (as well as the unaired episode, which was expected).

Seriously?  They are going to ban all episodes with the game Bump?  It's literally just a TPIR model swinging her hip to move a price tag. Is that inappropriate?  Who is possibly offended by this?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1463 on: March 15, 2023, 04:07:35 PM »
One thing that bugs me about this Bump thing...if they can go through and take out all the Bump episodes, can't they just as easily go through the 70s episodes and take out the ones with furs?
Well, considering that GSN did that same cherry-picking with the fur shows once...

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1464 on: March 15, 2023, 05:04:31 PM »
Something just feels qualitatively different, though, about excluding a certain prize versus excluding a certain game.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1465 on: March 15, 2023, 05:16:35 PM »
Something just feels qualitatively different, though, about excluding a certain prize versus excluding a certain game.

Finish Line? It seems like GSN also cherry-picked over episodes with that along with furs. They did run most of the 1977-'78 season. The one episode that did surfaced in recent years with Finish Line came from that season and also didn't feature a fur coat offered as a prize. So, there is possible precedent for skipping episodes with certain games.

Granted GSN did aired episodes with Bump, so I really don't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #1466 on: March 15, 2023, 06:07:23 PM »
Finish Line? It seems like GSN also cherry-picked over episodes with that along with furs. They did run most of the 1977-'78 season. The one episode that did surfaced in recent years with Finish Line came from that season and also didn't feature a fur coat offered as a prize. So, there is possible precedent for skipping episodes with certain games.

Could be possible. Bob has said on interviews before that he hated Finish Line because he despised horse racing.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Bee17

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1467 on: March 15, 2023, 09:12:32 PM »
One thing I'm noticing as in this batch of fresh classics (and was starting to notice in the last batch), is that they're using more and more wipes and transitions in prize descriptions. It's like they're trying to figure out what style works best and where.

Bob is coming of a little more lively within these episodes as well, but maybe that's just me. It's been a long time since I've seen these.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1468 on: March 15, 2023, 09:29:59 PM »
I'm repeatedly struck by how MEAN Barker sometimes can be to contestants in '80s episodes....But when Bob is a youthful-looking 60 and raking a shy housewife or somebody's grandma over the coals because she doesn't get Check Game and she looks like she just wants to crawl under a rock and hide...I'm not trying to label Barker as a monster who needs to be canceled or anything but there's a sharp difference in these episodes from the way I remember him.

My grandmother could never understand why I liked Price and Bob. She always thought he was too full of himself and wasn't a nice person, and I would wonder why the heck she thought that. I think I was too young to remember or pick up on this behavior in the 80s, but she was familiar with it and that's what stuck with her.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1469 on: March 15, 2023, 10:45:12 PM »
Even the late 90s when GSN aired Price is Right reruns were much different times than today. If they or Buzzr were airing the reruns today it's entirely possible they would not air episodes with Bump as well.