Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 369163 times)

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1500 on: March 22, 2023, 02:53:20 PM »
and here comes another instance of a thread being derailed to become just another avenue to say "drew sucks"

dude, it's his 16th season as host

he'd be fired if TPTB thought he sucked as much as you guys say he does

Keep in mind, the poster is part of a very loud, very persistent, minority. Most people like drew or at least think he's ok.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1501 on: March 22, 2023, 02:59:06 PM »
and here comes another instance of a thread being derailed to become just another avenue to say "drew sucks"

dude, it's his 16th season as host

he'd be fired if TPTB thought he sucked as much as you guys say he does

Very true-- IOW, I think this "johnnymatch" is of the apparent mindset that "Bob rules-- Drew drools" (may be offensive, but that's how I see what was said here).

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1502 on: March 22, 2023, 03:15:45 PM »
Back to the Topic of Barker Era PIR:

Just saw a wipeout in Master Key on show #5774D. Man, that's terrible. I think that's the first time it happened.

That particular show also marked the first appearance of 5-digit One Away, I believe.

It is the first time.  There have been people keeping track on the outcomes of some the games, so this isn't a case of Bob being inaccurate for the sake of being inaccurate.  Speaking of Master Key, like One Away, the first time was pretty decent.  Not perfection, but the Master Key being found after going 1 for 2 in the SP segment.

First appearance of One Away does end in perfection, but not the first time the game has been won on the first try.  Just the first time with 5 digits.  Still amazing but not too much more than a 4-digit win due to the fact that the first number is pretty much a given
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #1503 on: March 22, 2023, 03:35:49 PM »
Drew’s Sad/Happy Promo on Pluto:

On the Pluto Barker Era channel they have this promo for Drew’s CBS Daytime effort. (A little Paramount synergy).
Its as if it was produced by a manic-depressive. (perhaps Drew)
The music is some simpering Lillith Fair voice cooing about a “great day” with Drew self consciously and half heartedly assuring the audience that “its an exciting show”
Nothing, I mean nothing, about the whole promo projects excitement or greatness.  I imagine this is what the play at the home to keep the patients calm.

It is laughable.  It is horrible.  It is unwatchable.  It is unrecognizable as anything that would, could or should be used to attract eyeballs to CBS daytime, particularly TPIR, in any era.
One thing’s for sure: it is pure projection of the devolution of this program.  I don’t care what the ratings are.  And they are what they are only as a result of Whoopie and Joy Behar being more repulsive

Sir, this is a Wendy’s.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1504 on: March 22, 2023, 03:55:53 PM »
it's just that i see it happen to a lot of threads that people would still try to say that when maybe the reason Drew's been liked somewhat is because he ISN'T Bob

i mean even if Bob was a good host, there's all the things he's done that wasn't as good (including the sexual allegations with the models)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #1505 on: March 22, 2023, 03:57:28 PM »
Well Johnnymatch, you went from being obsessed with ragging on Steve Gavazzi (I remember that!) to being obsessed with ragging on Drew Carey, despite being asked not to derail threads with "Drew sucks" rants. In addition, you've made a political dig by bashing Whoopi (Fixed your spelling error) and Joy after Adam asked several times to keep politics out of the thread.

I was going to just place a 3 month ban, but I'm not sure it will help. We'll just permanently part company now.

"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Renny

• In the Audience
« Reply #1506 on: March 22, 2023, 10:46:37 PM »
Back to the main topic.

As if we're on a streak of historic moments, we got the first One Away wipeout on show #5781D. Many of us thought the first time was in 1990...

And many of Bob's declarations of historic moments are proven wrong again, as if the same occurrence five years later is any indication.
"You realize... We are in the presence of a miracle!" - Bob Barker

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1507 on: March 22, 2023, 11:24:26 PM »
just remember: GSN had a whole promotion based on calling out at least one of Bob's "Historic Moment" declarations

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #1508 on: March 23, 2023, 04:30:53 AM »
Back to the main topic.

As if we're on a streak of historic moments, we got the first One Away wipeout on show #5781D. Many of us thought the first time was in 1990...

And many of Bob's declarations of historic moments are proven wrong again, as if the same occurrence five years later is any indication.

I always knew that 1990 wasn't first wipeout because the very first time I saw One Away played was the wipeout we're now referring to.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1509 on: March 23, 2023, 11:51:09 PM »
Episode 5782D, which taped on May 22, begins with Bob bringing Johnny Olson over to wish him a happy birthday and say several complimentary things about him. Because we know what's going to happen in five months, it's a bittersweet moment.

Switcheroo is now set up to accommodate five-digit prices, although I haven't been paying close enough attention to know whether this was the first time we've seen the board like that.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1510 on: March 24, 2023, 12:42:14 AM »
Switcheroo is now set up to accommodate five-digit prices, although I haven't been paying close enough attention to know whether this was the first time we've seen the board like that.
I just double-checked, and tonight is the first playing with the reconfigured board (5752D, aired May 28, 1985, was the last appearance of the old setup).

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1511 on: March 24, 2023, 08:24:05 AM »

Didn't GSN once have a promo where Bob incorrectly declared “historic moments” on multiple occasions? Sometimes, with said moment taking place within a year or two (or less)?

Four and a half years between One Away wipeouts isn’t that terribly difficult for at least one person to remember. Granted, there’s human error but maybe it’s just me and surely someone knew, right?

Brian

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1512 on: March 24, 2023, 09:22:40 AM »
Didn't GSN once have a promo where Bob incorrectly declared “historic moments” on multiple occasions? Sometimes, with said moment taking place within a year or two (or less)?

Four and a half years between One Away wipeouts isn’t that terribly difficult for at least one person to remember. Granted, there’s human error but maybe it’s just me and surely someone knew, right?

Brian

The Season 18 one was the 3rd one on record (in terms of known material), I believe.  To be fair, the Memorial Day 1990 one was played with 5 digits.  At least there was defense for losing here in Season 13 and again in 1988.

This was the first one with 5 digits, and it was a bad loss for a couple of reasons.  It was played for a Lincoln, and with some thought, it probably wasn't less than $20,000.  From there, that should've been a "win by default"
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1513 on: March 24, 2023, 11:34:26 AM »
They did; if memory serves, it involved two separate instances (one in the half-hour era, one from early 80s) where both contestants gave the same bid on their Showcase, and Bob declared it the first time, both times.

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #1514 on: March 26, 2023, 08:49:43 PM »
Think they'll ever incorporate the half hour shows into the mix? Would assume the cooperation gleaned from the talent would carry over to these eps.