Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368179 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1515 on: March 26, 2023, 10:06:21 PM »
No. In fact, we’ve already skipped a half-hour episode that aired because of the Pillsbury Bake-Off.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Renny

• In the Audience
« Reply #1516 on: March 28, 2023, 11:28:22 PM »
On show #5802D there's an error in Money Game where the front and the back of the car are reversed from where they should belong to. Even though Bob rectified it during the gameplay, I think the Standards and Practices thought it serious enough for compensation.

At the end of the show Cheryl was given a cash prize of $3,500 - which is about half of the price of the car she was playing for in Money Game ($6,995), along with what she won, per Johnny's voiceover during the closing credits.
"You realize... We are in the presence of a miracle!" - Bob Barker

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1517 on: March 30, 2023, 09:33:44 AM »
Have any of the pre-Pluto-era episodes been restored/remastered to the extent that the episodes actually airing on Pluto have?  Or did Pluto simply start cleaning up only the episodes they're actually intending to air for now?

The quality of the tape transfers on Pluto looks much better than what we got on GSN years ago.

I ask this question not to stir up opinions about the fur ban, and not to sound ignorant of GSN-was-pre-high-definition-and-now-we're-in-an-HD-world-so-of-course-Pluto's-look-better, and not to be ungrateful for the 1982-and-on episodes we are getting.  It's simply a technical question.

Thank you.

Offline Sotc2022

• In the Audience
« Reply #1518 on: March 30, 2023, 12:14:18 PM »

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #1519 on: March 30, 2023, 02:40:37 PM »
Hardly the most important change, but they finally looped the showcase version of "Big Banana" so it doesn't have that clumsy edit at the end.

I will say, though, I kind of wish the channel would have instead shown one new episode per day for twice as many days. I'm lucky to have a job right now where my hours are flexible, but watching vintage episodes of The Price Is Right for two hours in the late afternoon (since I'm on the West Coast) really messes up my schedule.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline DYC

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1520 on: March 30, 2023, 02:57:40 PM »
I just gotta say Hurdles was one of the greatest Pricing Games ever. Watching this morning, which is episode 4842D (March '83) -it's 2nd to last playing ever, and Bob begins the game commenting that the contestant says its her favorite game and Bob even seems to suggest that it's a fan favorite. He did a hilarious bit with contestant and the starter pistol and and really played up the race portion and had a great time with it. The final pricetag malfunctioned and dropped way too early, as had become common, and Bob and the cameraman skillfully hid the reveal of that until the proper time, so it looked seamless to the viewer (if you were not 40 years in the future looking back noting miniscule details in early TPIR production like I am). It's like they'd developed little workarounds for Hurdles' shoddy propwork by that time. Hate they couldn't find a definitive fix for the it. That set was awesome.

Random thought- Aside from the constant malfunctions, do you think perhaps Hurdles was retired to prepare for then-soon-forthcoming Phone Home Game, which also uses 7 grocery products, like they didn't want to have 2 different games that had that many items to advertise and went with the new gimmick? I remember how popular Phone Home was back then -but its amazing to look back and watch now and realize that not only was it played EVERY week but sometimes twice a week 🤯

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1521 on: April 02, 2023, 08:08:43 PM »
Not to be too morbid but I wonder if Johnny was having health problems leading up to his stroke.

Watching an 83 ep then going straight to fall 85 you can hear quite the change in Johnny. Namely his enunciation isn’t as crisp and he sounds weaker/more tired; significantly older if you will.

Just hard to avoid noticing when you’re jumping ahead and back in time in the span of two hours.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1522 on: April 03, 2023, 01:20:14 AM »
Not to be too morbid but I wonder if Johnny was having health problems leading up to his stroke.

I think that's a fair observation to make.  We're talking about someone who died nearly 40 years ago now, and we're observing things no one would have thought about the first time around.  In fact, I've been wondering myself if the show knew something bad was coming.  It would explain why Bob went so far out of his way to call out Johnny's 75th birthday -- it would have seemed like just a nice gesture to the average viewer, but maybe it was their way of showing him how much they appreciated him while they still had him.  It also casts a different light on their decision to only cancel one day of tapings after his brain hemorrhage and then plug ahead with Gene Wood -- if they already knew Johnny was nearing the end, they might well have already arranged for him to fill in when the time came after taking a day off to collect themselves.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1523 on: April 03, 2023, 08:52:20 PM »
Someone decided last-second that Bump is unsuitable to air. All the Bump episodes will be skipped (as well as the unaired episode, which was expected).

https://c.vxtwitter.com/user/status/1635408247372025857

EDIT: Actually the one non-Bump episode listed here is 5823D. Were we going to get an unaired episode? Dang.
Apparently this has been reverted? On the supposedly final night of this batch of eps, 5825D just aired, with no edits to Bump.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #1524 on: April 03, 2023, 08:53:04 PM »
I'm glad they didn't skip that episode also; it had a SCSD with four ties!
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1525 on: April 03, 2023, 10:52:19 PM »

Something both I and a friend noted in the tail end of S13 were a LOT of "Thank You Johnny" time moments with a lot more time than usual devoted to putting some shine on Johnny for the audience.  I wouldn't be surprised -- and wouldn't be surprised if he was considering retirement around that time as well.

Offline Steve_Bier

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1526 on: April 05, 2023, 04:17:11 PM »
Something both I and a friend noted in the tail end of S13 were a LOT of "Thank You Johnny" time moments with a lot more time than usual devoted to putting some shine on Johnny for the audience.  I wouldn't be surprised -- and wouldn't be surprised if he was considering retirement around that time as well.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that he had planned to retire either at the end of the 85/86 season, or 86/87...but don't hold me to this.

Offline Sotc2022

• In the Audience
« Reply #1527 on: April 05, 2023, 06:23:33 PM »
I seem to recall reading somewhere that he had planned to retire either at the end of the 85/86 season, or 86/87...but don't hold me to this.

From what I've read, he was in semi retirement. That would explain the number of weeks of BL he missed in summer 85

Offline Renny

• In the Audience
« Reply #1528 on: April 06, 2023, 12:25:33 AM »
Wait a minute, Roku just updated the schedule again and it turned out #5834D and #5835D didn't air last night. So I think that's it for the fresh episodes for a while, maybe come the next cycle, those two episodes will be added along with the rest of the new batch.

Additionally, it appears that #5825D may have been shown by accident.
"You realize... We are in the presence of a miracle!" - Bob Barker

Offline TPIRFAN1987

• Outside in Line
« Reply #1529 on: April 06, 2023, 11:25:13 AM »
Well, I guess Mr Nissan can't apologize as Greg's claim turned out to be true. Lol

Um, hello! It wasn't Gregory Pearsoll who made that claim; it was Adam Scimone!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 11:35:29 AM by TPIRFAN1987 »