Author Topic: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV  (Read 368224 times)

Offline Sotc2022

• In the Audience
Re: The Price is Right: The Barker Era on Pluto TV
« Reply #1560 on: July 29, 2023, 01:52:46 PM »
Anybody on Roku getting no information available in the episode listing? Don't bother contacting support. I was sent to subscription, I was told how to access the channel etc. They have the absolute worst customer no service

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #1561 on: August 26, 2023, 01:19:10 PM »
One thing that bugs me about this Bump thing...if they can go through and take out all the Bump episodes, can't they just as easily go through the 70s episodes and take out the ones with furs?
They could, and should.  Hell, I'd volunteer to do it for them for free if they'd let me.  In many ways the late '70s episodes were the best shows TPiR ever did, and it's preposterous that they aren't getting shown.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #1562 on: August 27, 2023, 01:10:04 AM »
They could, and should.  Hell, I'd volunteer to do it for them for free if they'd let me.  In many ways the late '70s episodes were the best shows TPiR ever did, and it's preposterous that they aren't getting shown.

definitely , there are times where it is easier to watch a half hour episode in the whole hour episode so I would he was hoping they would have those half hours available. not to mention the older episodes are good to watch too.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1563 on: August 27, 2023, 08:27:53 AM »
One thing that bugs me about this Bump thing...if they can go through and take out all the Bump episodes, can't they just as easily go through the 70s episodes and take out the ones with furs?

Probably not, as it takes only a few clicks through this website to find which episodes include Bump while the same index has not been created for anything considered a "fur".
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #1564 on: August 27, 2023, 11:33:03 AM »
definitely , there are times where it is easier to watch a half hour episode in the whole hour episode so I would he was hoping they would have those half hours available.

Those certainly are all words, but they're not arranged into anything approaching coherent sentences.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online lejusteprix

• 12/14/2015
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #1565 on: August 28, 2023, 06:40:59 AM »
If you're up in Canada and have a Roku device, The Barker Era channel is now available on the Roku Channel live stream selections!

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #1566 on: October 02, 2023, 05:41:12 PM »
Those certainly are all words, but they're not arranged into anything approaching coherent sentences.

"in" was supposed to be 'then'. basically I am is saying is that I would prefer to watch a Half hour length episode instead. because there are times where it is easier to watch a half hour episode in the whole hour episode so I would he was hoping they would have those half hours available. not to mention the older episodes are good to watch too.

yeah I honestly thought it was going to be all the episodes lined up from first episode to Final that he was in all of 35 years of it, granted I did not know Pluto existed until advertisement about this channel so I did not know there Channel streaming preferences. anyhow I really hoping it would of been the half hour episodes. A hour episode is sometimes a long length if you want to just pick it up in between things. I know it it is a thin chance but I would love for it to happen. anyhow I have been loving these reruns.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 05:47:40 PM by Game Girl »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #1567 on: October 02, 2023, 05:59:34 PM »
I'm not sure when the first 3 seasons will air.  If I had to guess, I don't think it's happening soon, if ever.  When speculation of the channel occurred around this time 3 years ago, I was personally surprised that we were getting Barker content somewhere.  At that point, I wasn't even thinking about what seasons they were going to start with since the surprise of Barker era Price streaming anywhere occupied my mind.

For good reason, the show starting with early Season 11 episodes was the best outcome.  The half-hour era was pretty good, but I don't think it's that long.  Especially if you tune into Roku for TPIR
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #1568 on: October 02, 2023, 10:51:29 PM »
"in" was supposed to be 'then'. basically I am is saying is that I would prefer to watch a Half hour length episode instead. because there are times where it is easier to watch a half hour episode in the whole hour episode so I would he was hoping they would have those half hours available. not to mention the older episodes are good to watch too.

yeah I honestly thought it was going to be all the episodes lined up from first episode to Final that he was in all of 35 years of it, granted I did not know Pluto existed until advertisement about this channel so I did not know there Channel streaming preferences. anyhow I really hoping it would of been the half hour episodes. A hour episode is sometimes a long length if you want to just pick it up in between things. I know it it is a thin chance but I would love for it to happen. anyhow I have been loving these reruns.

What are you even talking about in the second paragraph?

The half hour episodes, IMO, aren't worth it. They feel rushed, they aren't bingeable (the game rotation was so much smaller) and Bob was still a bit too happy-go-manic in that era. If you don't want to watch the whole hour...then don't. Price is a show you can enter and leave at any point.

Offline jwalk03

• In the Audience
« Reply #1569 on: October 04, 2023, 01:33:30 PM »
I have been watching 30 minute episodes on YouTube the last few weeks.  And while I enjoy them- I certainly prefer the hour episodes.  Its just not the same without the Showcase Showdown!  And yes seeing Grocery Game and Any Number and Double Prices again, and again, and again is tiresome.  It gets a bit better once they add a few more games to the rotation.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1570 on: October 05, 2023, 12:50:35 AM »
I only just started getting The Barker Era channel here in Canada in early September, so I'm curious as to why they're removing all the Bump episodes? Is that something to do with the Dian controversy? Also, do they rotate the same episodes twice a day and release fresh ones the next day? I feel like I'm seeing episodes from 1983 and 1985 in the same day, but they also aired one with Rod a few days ago in the morning which I think would be from 1986. As great as Johnny is, *I* personally associate him more with Match Game as that's where I first heard him (GSN circa 2001); Rod was always the voice of TPIR for me and I can't wait to see more episodes with him behind the podium. REALLY hoping they move into the 90s at some point as well!
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1571 on: October 05, 2023, 01:01:11 AM »
I'm not sure when the first 3 seasons will air.  If I had to guess, I don't think it's happening soon, if ever.

How did you come to that opinion?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1572 on: October 05, 2023, 08:44:42 AM »
You can say the same for Seasons 4-10 as well, given that Barker's estate may still want to refrain from furs.

With that said, it's now been six months since there has been any fresh episodes of The Barker Era, and there is still no sign of any new releases. Like others have mentioned, it's possible that there could be 100 fresh episodes for what would have been Bob's 100th birthday, similar to how the very first drop three years ago began with six episodes a day on weekdays, then rushed to finish the remainder of the first 100 for Bob's then 97th birthday. Last year had a similarly long gap without fresh episodes, lasting over seven months.

And PriceFan07, the first four playings of Bump (and the next several since episodes from as late as January 1986 plus that Rod episode from later in that season) have blocked on YouTube for well over a month now, which means that these episodes have certainly been remastered, but allegedly the controversy with the swaying motion of Dian has led Freemantle to ban these episodes from now, bar the accidental airing of one episode.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1573 on: October 05, 2023, 04:56:33 PM »
Barker's estate may still want to refrain from furs.

Has it ever been established whether or not any of the networks showing the old episodes are contractually prohibited from broadcasting any episodes with furs?

Because I'd think if it was just an issue of 'yes, we can broadcast episodes with furs as prizes, but we haven't broadcast any as a courtesy to Bob,' now that Bob's no longer with us there'd be no legal reason not to show them and the estate has no say in the matter.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #1574 on: October 05, 2023, 05:28:50 PM »
Can’t the show just air a canned taped disclaimer at the beginning of the show?  They did this on the Season 52 premiere with the Hawaii trip.

It could be something as simple as:

“This vintage episode of The Price is Right (from 19xx) contains a fur coat as one of the prizes.  Fur coats are no longer offered on the show out of respect for Bob Barker’s wishes for animal rights.  If you’d like to learn more on how to protect animal rights, visit your local SPCA website.  Enjoy the show.”

15 second canned disclaimer goes on every fur episode.  Respects Bob’s wishes and allows the audience to see episodes that haven’t aired in 40+ years.

Really disappointing that the premiere episode is forever banned from airing again due to a fur coat.
All Hail Sinfonia!