Author Topic: The two craziest fast-food totals I have ever seen...  (Read 3555 times)

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
The two craziest fast-food totals I have ever seen...
« on: May 19, 2007, 02:08:39 PM »
For those of you who missed my story in chat the other day, here it is.  I will not be held responsible for the destruction of your computers or your TVs if you should happen to get bitten by bad luck and go OVER in CSS one day!  :-D

OK, last Thursday, I went to the mall (Padre Staples Mall; Corpus Christi, TX to be precise) to go dawdlin' around, and I went to grab some lunch over at the Chick-Fil-A.  My total for that day looked something like this:

1 6-piece Chicken Strip combo (w/ BBQ)
1 Medium Dr. Pepper

SUB-TOTAL:  6.15
TAX:        0.51

GRAND TOTAL:  $6.66

It gets better.  At 1:00 AM this morning (yes, I'm a night owl), I went over to one of the many Whataburgers in Corpus Christi and ordered the following:

2 Breakfast Taquitos
1 Medium Fries
1 Large Soda

GRAND TOTAL:  $7.77

That is the story of the two weirdest fast-food totals I have ever seen!  :-D  :-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline HairMetalLives

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: The two craziest fast-food totals I have ever seen...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 02:31:41 PM »
I used to work at McDonald's (note the words "used to" ) and at the time, one of the value meal's (I forget which one) regular price was $6.66. The manager even said at one point "I wish the owner would change that," and I agreed.

I thought it was weird when a customer got a total with no change, like $7.00 or something, considdering all the tax. It didn't happen very often.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 02:32:05 PM »
A friend of mine managed to also get a $6.66 fast food total from an order at Del Taco in 1990. :oldlol:

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 12:26:03 AM »
Well, I've had grocery totals come out even only one time, but I can't remember when that happened.  :-(
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 01:54:16 AM »
A couple of months ago I had a customer with a  total of $6.66 followed immediately by a customer with a total of $13.37 at the supermarket I work at.  I've also had totals of $66.66, $77.77, and $99.99.  Not fast food, but still interesting totals.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:22:51 PM »
I remember going to McDonald's a few months ago, and the total was $6.66.  Also, it happens a few times a year that the grocery total comes out even, most often at Wal-Mart.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 01:42:36 PM »

PimpinJC wrote:
it happens a few times a year that the grocery total comes out even, most often at Wal-Mart.

I've had it happen to me there once too.  I got an exact $20 total, and a good thing it wasn't any more since I only had $20 on me.

Of course, being a cashier myself, you do notice these things.  Haven't gotten so many exact totals are reverse totals (i.e. $47.74, $21.12, ect.).  Still surprises me a bit how often they come up.  Getting on topic, I do recall a $22.22 total once.

But the really impressive exact totals come when pumping gas.  Only once have I managed to land on a rounded dollar total when just pumping full-blast to the full-click.  Anybody else ever manage this?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 03:58:38 PM »
When I was with my dad at a mom-and-pop hardware store, he bought a few switches and the total came to $6.66 (with tax). She quickly encouraged my dad to get a piece of gum for me (worth a nickel) for obvious reasons.

Offline gamefro

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 04:57:54 PM »
This one is interesting also...

Five years ago, I was in training with my first RA staff at college.  Our boss decided to buy us all Slurpees at the 7-Eleven up the street during a break.  The eight of us got a random combination of small and medium Slurpees.  The final total came out to $7.11.

We promptly took a picture to commemorate the occasion, and it remains my favorite picture of that staff.
Gamefro: "Retired" host of TPiR at the University of Nevada, Reno (spring 2003 - spring 2008).

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 07:17:25 PM »
I am a cashier at Loblaws (a grocery store in Canada that's between Price Chopper and Costco) and have seen totals (or change given out to cunstomers) come out to unusual numbers such as $9.11, $7.11, $6.66 et al.

Ironically, my most expensive order is $1,000.00.  But the lady with that order purchased 10  $100 gift cards.

Offline lucyrickyalex

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 01:34:44 AM »
I work at a certain fast-food restaurant, and today I had two interesting totals.  First, I rang up an order that had a bunch of food and some ice cream, and it totaled EXACTLY $20.  Later that night, I had to ring up a co-worker's order (they don't [d]trust us enough to[/d] allow us to ring up our own order) that totaled $3.34 after the employee discount.  She just HAD to hand me a 10.  Yes, her change was $6.66, which almost freaked her out.  A few days ago, she had bought a shirt, and her change that time was... $6.66.  

P.S.: I often joke that $10.40 is a far more evil total than $6.66
"But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."
-Conan O'Brien

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »
I got a bad omen at breakfast yesterday at the farmer's market next to TBBS - one la sorbenne crepe at $6.15 + tax = $6.66!