Author Topic: I'm Disappointed with the Choices/Why wasn't Woolery considered?  (Read 5019 times)

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
I don't know about any of you, but I am extremely disappointed with the mediocre bunch of people who have been given a chance to audition for new host. As far as I know, only one candidate--Todd Newton--has even had any meaningful game show hosting experience. (And, based on his past hosting, I feel he would not be a good host.) Instead, this whole audition process has seemed like nothing more than a freak show/circus, where anyone and everyone has a chance to audition: from a weatherman who was chosen because his last name was "Price" to a celebrity who is best known for his sun tan to an obnoxious, ultra left-wing "comedian." In general, it seems as if no thought at all was put into who would become the next host.

Given all of the losers who did apply for this job, it makes me really angry as to why Chuck Woolery was never considered. Now, here's a man with tons of game show experience (even more than Bob Barker had before he became host of TPIR) who is respected throughout the entire industry. Installing him as the new host would send out an immediate signal that CBS and Freemantle are serious about the continued success of TPIR. Honestly, I have no idea as to why Woolery wasn't even considered; I initially thought that it was because he was "too old," yet George Hamilton is even older.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: I'm Disappointed with the Choices/Why wasn't Woolery considered?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 06:15:56 PM »
I thought about that myself - he should have been given an audition at least and has good gameshow experience.  He's probably 62/63 now.  And, I'm sure he would have quit Lingo in a second if he got this job - he's a familiar face to daytime audiences (Wheel/LoveConnection/Scrabble), and if he did the show and retired after 15 years, he would be bringing The Price is Right into its 50th Year on CBS!  And that would be something!

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »
You're right, I don't believe that the contenders are very likely to succeed.  Personally, I am glad Woolery wasn't chosen.  Something about his personality, or something.

Basically, I know we've had this discussion MANY A TIME before, but ultimately I don't think anyone can take Bob's place.  Only time will tell, but subconsciously I think many of us will reject whoever follows even before that person gets on stage.  Why?  Because it isn't Bob.

Offline SuperMatch

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
I think Chuck is happy with his gig at GSN.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 07:22:49 PM »
Chuck might have been good, although, he is 66 years old.  But George Hamilton is 68 so who am I to judge.

Offline mkeeney

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »
Although I can't guarantee I'll be watching Price for long after a new host comes on board (yes, I'll give him a fair shot, though), I don't think I would have wanted Woolery to try out.  I can't think of a gameshow of his that has lasted all that long, other than "Love Connection" that may have run 10 years or so (but I'm not even 100% sure of that).

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 07:27:04 PM »
I like Chuck Woolery, but I just can't see him hosting The Price is Right.  He fits perfectly on a word game show like Lingo, or Wheel, or Scrabble.  Even Greed wasn't altogether bad.  I just don't think Chuck has the right.... something to be the host of Price.  He's a great host, just not the right one.  That's probably why he wasn't considered if I had to guess.

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 10:40:45 PM »
BonusShell,

You certainly have a right to be unhappy with the pool of potential hosts, but to throw the word "losers" into the mix is a bit harsh...don't you think?

And like SuperMatch says, maybe Woolery is happy with his current gig on GSN.  Do you have something that suggests that he wanted the TPiR job and was turned away?

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 10:45:56 AM »

BonusShell wrote:
Instead, this whole audition process has seemed like nothing more than a freak show/circus, where anyone and everyone has a chance to audition: from a weatherman who was chosen because his last name was "Price" to a celebrity who is best known for his sun tan to an obnoxious, ultra left-wing "comedian."

I have no idea who you're talking about at the end there.  And Dave Price wasn't given an opportunity just "because his last name was `Price.'"

Now, what we've ended up with:

Todd Newton, a man with probably more national game show hosting experience than anyone else his age.

George Hamilton, an experienced, easy-going entertainer who is similar to Bob in age and personality.

Mark Steines, a personable and energetic young wildcard.

Is that really such a bad lineup of finalists?  Hopefully, the other comments in this thread have convinced you that Woolery was hardly an obvious consensus choice.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »

BonusShell wrote:
As far as I know, only one candidate--Todd Newton--has even had any meaningful game show hosting experience. (And, based on his past hosting, I feel he would not be a good host.) Instead, this whole audition process has seemed like nothing more than a freak show/circus, where anyone and everyone has a chance to audition

Ok, I understand you point. But let's be real, hear. Compared to the 70s and 80s, the number of game shows on TV is much lower. The hosts are also fewer. And further more, the style of game show we have nowadays is very different than in the 70s. I wouldn't see Bob host shows like DOND, 5th Grader, or H2. Nor would I see Howie, Woxworthy or Bergeron hosting TPIR.

If this were the 70s, we would for sure be able to find someone with game show experience to host TPIR. Probably won't be as good as Bob (no one is), but would be decent. But now, unfortunately, there aren't enough game shows.

And I join my voice to everyone ... Chuck wouldn't fit!

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 12:19:46 PM »
You guys are forgetting one other thing.  Chuck lives in Park City, UT(which is exactly 20 miles away from me) and commutes to CA to do Lingo for GSN.  I think if Chuck wanted to add another game show to his list he certainly would have thrown his name in hat and he hasn't.  Maybe Chuck himself doesn't want it.  

Also, BonusShell, you can't say Chuck has had more game show hosting experinece than Bob Barker before TPIR AT ALL.  That is the most FALSE statement ever!!  Chuck had NEVER hosted a game show before Wheel of Fortune and we all know that by time TPIR premiered Bob Barker had already done *16* years with Truth or Consequences.  Get your facts straight on that one.

and I COMPLETELY agree with Marc, calling the list of candidates losers in more than harsh.  The people who have auditioned(with the exception of Marc Stienes) have accomplished Television Careers and have been in business quite a long time.  Bob Barker has also been QUOTED as to saying that Rosie WILL NOT get the job.  so she's not in the running AT ALL!!  

To get back on topic here, I believe TPIR is too structured for Chuck and it really wouldn't let him run with it.  I beleieve he at one time did do the TPIR Live stage show, but IIRC he didn't last long.  Chuck is a great game show host, but the host must be in the right format and TPIR is not his.

jimlange

Offline wdm1219

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 10:30:12 PM »
Jim,

I think what he meant was Chuck now has had over 30 years of game show hosting experience, whereas Bob "only" had 16 years when he was hired to host Price back in 1972.

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 10:38:19 PM »

jimlange wrote:
Also, BonusShell, you can't say Chuck has had more game show hosting experinece than Bob Barker before TPIR AT ALL.  That is the most FALSE statement ever!!  Chuck had NEVER hosted a game show before Wheel of Fortune and we all know that by time TPIR premiered Bob Barker had already done *16* years with Truth or Consequences.

While we're at it, how many years of game show experience did Bob have before hosting Truth or Consequences ? NONE! The point is : You need to get started somewhere. It IS probably harder to start with TPIR, but at the same time, the best game show hosts all started with no experience. Give the new guy (whoever he'll be) a chance, and we might be pleasantly surprised.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 11:34:46 PM »
Let's acknowledge that the show is bound to be different once the new M.C. takes the stage. He or she is not going to be a Bob Barker clone. I think it's more important that the show's original style and production values be preserved.

TPIR has already changed in significant ways over time -- for the worse, in my opinion -- even with Barker there. It's within the realm of possibility that the program will improve in some ways once the new host is aboard. We ought to wait until they settle in and develop a style before making a judgment.

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 11:36:33 PM »
I would love to see summers  and David Ruprecht try out for it