Author Topic: 2 Hour Prime Time Special to air 9/30, 9-11PM EDT/PDT  (Read 19809 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: 2 Hour Prime Time Special to air 9/30, 9-11PM EDT/PDT
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »
Devil’s advocate: He was making public appearances just a few short years ago (only six years! that’s like nothing, right? /s), he will be heavily featured in clips from the show’s history, he’s still the host most associated with the show for people over the age of 30, he clearly loves being associated with the show, and he has a huge ego.

I agree that there is zero chance he makes any sort of studio visit or interactive zoom call with Drew or anything where Bob’s appearance cannot be carefully controlled. But a brief pretaped segment doesn’t seem to be out of the question. If you’re going to choose to make a final public appearance on the show, the 50th anniversary is a pretty darn good reason.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2021, 04:48:53 PM »
That quote / Twitter post is plenty enough.  Plus, as mentioned, clips of him in action (and there are more than a ton) more than pays tribute to Mr. Barker.  Basically what likely will happen early in 2025 or whenever the real 10,000th show occurs
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2021, 05:13:25 PM »
Why are we arguing over this... 🙄

If the man wants to say a few words — voiceover or actually on camera — then he will certainly do so.  If the man doesn’t feel up to it or doesn’t believe it’s necessary to go through the trouble when he’s already very much going to be featured heavily in clips, etc., then he won’t appear.  It really is that simple.

Only on this site do arguments commence over a 97-year-old man. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2021, 01:16:39 PM »
Only on this site do arguments commence over a 97-year-old man. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣
Attend more family reunions.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2021, 03:52:46 PM »
Attend more family reunions.

Precisely why I don’t. 🥴

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2021, 04:35:43 PM »
I don't know WHY people are almost expecting anything new from Bob. I really don't get it.

Because Bob is still the first person people associate with The Price Is Right, and he's still alive.

However...

The few times he has been out in public, he's looked, quite frankly, terrible.

I've seen photos of him in a wheelchair, and I'd have to agree.  Even so, I'm still on the side of those who would like to see Bob make a videotaped appearance, and even though I'd be disappointed if he didn't, I'd certainly understand why.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2021, 04:33:51 PM »
Because Bob is still the first person people associate with The Price Is Right, and he's still alive.

However...

I've seen photos of him in a wheelchair, and I'd have to agree.  Even so, I'm still on the side of those who would like to see Bob make a videotaped appearance, and even though I'd be disappointed if he didn't, I'd certainly understand why.

Just the fact he got to make a statement, is a lot I think. I could even see almost some written statement said on the air ala Mark Goodson in Season 17, but might be odd now.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2021, 09:39:37 PM »
Sorry for bumping, but if it would be alright I'd just like to add that Price unveiled a teaser of the upcoming 50th AS:

The clips featured the fun moments and bloopers, especially the Holly's appliance bottle.

I would like to assume that as Price mentioned on their FB post that there would be surprise appearances, some of the original models may show up onstage or through a videotaped message.

Another longer clip on Price's channel also featured a $250,000 Plinko and clips of Johnny O and Rod. I hope also Rich and other subs get a shout-out, but it may be just me. :)

Tune in this Thursday at 9|8c for the spectacular celebration of Price's 50 years!

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2021, 10:47:16 PM »
I would like to assume that as Price mentioned on their FB post that there would be surprise appearances, some of the original models may show up onstage or through a videotaped message.

The surprise appearances are from CBS celebrities who have already appeared on special TPiR@Night programs or during celebrity week. Don't get your hopes up.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2021, 11:27:50 PM »
The surprise appearances are from CBS celebrities who have already appeared on special TPiR@Night programs or during celebrity week. Don't get your hopes up.
I understand man... :) But I'd bet that if the show's running time is around 38-39 minutes for a normal episode, there would be constant lookbacks and interviews in-between segments of around 10 minutes? We'll just know when it happens.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2021, 08:05:20 AM »
If I’m at CBS or Fremantle and having the conversations around putting this type of show together, I’m absolutely looking to get current celebs, with an emphasis on CBS talent. Devoting limited airtime, even in an expanded format, to previous era models isn’t where I’m putting my efforts.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2021, 10:10:52 AM »
When the 25th Anniversary Special aired, I was a little shy of 5 years old. My parents taped it, and I watched it over and over again until the VHS wore out. I had watched TPIR before that, but that was my introduction to the show's history. I had never seen Bob Barker with dark hair, I had no idea who Johnny Olson was, and I hadn't seen Yolanda or Pauline or Edie.

That hour of television meant about as much to me as anything that's ever hit the airwaves. Now I'm about to turn 30, and I'm very excited to watch this tonight. I think seeing the moments of the last 25 years intermixed with the 25 before that is really going to put my lifelong relationship with this show into perspective.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2021, 01:12:05 PM »
When the 25th Anniversary Special aired, I was a little shy of 5 years old. My parents taped it, and I watched it over and over again until the VHS wore out. I had watched TPIR before that, but that was my introduction to the show's history. I had never seen Bob Barker with dark hair, I had no idea who Johnny Olson was, and I hadn't seen Yolanda or Pauline or Edie.

That hour of television meant about as much to me as anything that's ever hit the airwaves. Now I'm about to turn 30, and I'm very excited to watch this tonight. I think seeing the moments of the last 25 years intermixed with the 25 before that is really going to put my lifelong relationship with this show into perspective.

If I’m at CBS or Fremantle and having the conversations around putting this type of show together, I’m absolutely looking to get current celebs, with an emphasis on CBS talent. Devoting limited airtime, even in an expanded format, to previous era models isn’t where I’m putting my efforts.

I agree, but to a certain extent.  I'll elaborate within my reply to TPIRighteous.  In terms of getting people from the past, as in past eras of TPIR, it really isn't necessary.  On the other hand, having celebrities and stars from other CBS programming, and even stuff from ABC, NBC, FOX, ESPN, etc is unnecessary.  At the very least, it's off topic from what tonight's special is all about.  It should be about TPIR & its history.  The show is about the fans, the real stars of the show.  The celebrities can pimp whatever some other time.

As a fan of the show, I'm looking forward to stuff related to TPIR.  How does a celebrity help promote TPIR?  It really doesn't.  Instead, time is lost in favor of someone from another show getting the chance to promote their own show on someone else's time.  That being said, it's still a business, and not surprising at all.  IMO, I don't see the connection, a meaningful connection between a CBS star and TPIR, other than the fact that it's the same network.  Still, Fremantle would be a tad bit foolish to pass on getting their stars from other gameshows, and CBS would be a tad bit foolish to pass on getting their starts from other shows.

That 25th Anniversary Special was a special hour to me as well.  While I have seen everything before that point prior to that point, it was still great to see all the stuff from the past.  It was a nice celebration.  I might not have ranked it with Season 15 or Season 20 and how those years were honored, but it was a time when YouTube wasn't the place to go for past content whenever you felt like it.

If I had to guess, there will not be any members of the past showing up.  Unlike in 1996, there may be optimism toward seeing them in a clip or two, but that's about it.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, but the fact is most of the casual, current audience would not know who the past stars are or were
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2021, 02:51:57 PM »
There is one way to connect both sections.

Freemantle does produce the current To Tell The Truth, and as I remember they had within the last year or so one show where the panel had to figure out which person was a former TPIR model...  So that might be a person to have featured, with both clips from TPIR years ago and her more recent appearance on TTTT.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2021, 03:30:44 PM »
We’re getting acknowledgments of former show staff, and I’ll be thrilled even if it’s just left at that.  My jaw about hit the floor when I saw Holly and Rod each featured in one of the promos — especially the former.  It’s significantly more likely Bob Barker himself would be wheeled out onto the stage than Holly, or any former model, making a live appearance, but the fact there’s going to be at least one prominent clip of her and likely some sort of verbal acknowledgment on air for the first time in nearly three decades is itself incredible.  Even 15 seasons removed from the Barker era, that idea still seemed unrealistic to me.