Author Topic: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast  (Read 19601 times)

Offline NewsDirector3287

• Outside in Line
Re: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 11:25:32 PM »
Apologies in advance, this will be a long post. This week was the long touted Roger episode, and I want to start by saying I enjoyed the episode overall.  It was great seeing Roger again and I'm happy that he seems to be in good health. I enjoyed his story about how he got started in the business, and his years working for Goodson Todman. When it came to what he had to say about Bob, I felt bad for him. I had heard and read stories about how Bob is doing and it looked like he was doing well.

Anytime I hear an update about Bob's health, I go back to the last picture of Monty Hall at the CBS Daytime 30 years photo shoot, and how he looked so sick and frail. Unfortunately, that will stick in my head just as much as his performance on LMAD. When I hear about what Bob's going through, it's painful. We all remember him being so youthful, even during his last season, and to hear about his health problems kind of puts a haze over it so to speak. I hope he gets to see him before he passes away. However, there were some things he said which kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

First, he said that the game shows of today were not game shows, that they were "scripted reality shows" (I went back to get his exact quote). He mentions the recent Alec Baldwin version of Match Game as being in terrible taste, and he mentions that when digital editing became popular, shows could stop tape more frequently and do retakes a lot more easier, and that live to tape is the best way of doing it.  He also says that production companies are getting "has beens" to be hosts. 

Secondly, the question is asked towards the end of the episode for his thoughts on Price today. Among the things he says are that the set changes constantly, they have weird prizes like 100 pairs of shoes, and that it's starting to look cheap like foreign versions he used to watch. He also compares it to Bob's show by saying Bob's show was more about the contestants, while Drew's version is about the show itself.

I disagree with him in regards to current hosts being has beens. People like Wayne Brady, Michael Strahan, and Elizabeth Banks may not be good hosts in his book, but to call them has beens, is kind of low in my opinion. When it comes to Price, I was initially someone who was against changing the show as well. However, over time I've come to love the current show just as much as Bob and Roger's version. I especially love the "family feel" the show has again that was lost the last 10 or so years with Bob.

I respect Roger and the amount of devotion and time he put in to not just Price, but every show he worked on over his career. I respect the way Roger ran the show when he was producer, and I love that version of the show. But when he continues to not even acknowledge the tremendous job the current showrunners have done to not only update the show and keep it looking fresh in 2022, but keep it on the air when people were saying it wouldn't last without Bob, he just sounds like a bitter old man.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 11:43:36 AM »

I respect Roger and the amount of devotion and time he put in to not just Price, but every show he worked on over his career. I respect the way Roger ran the show when he was producer, and I love that version of the show. But when he continues to not even acknowledge the tremendous job the current showrunners have done to not only update the show and keep it looking fresh in 2022, but keep it on the air when people were saying it wouldn't last without Bob, he just sounds like a bitter old man.

You can summarize Roger Dobkowitz in 2022 with just those 8 words.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 01:39:24 PM »
You can summarize Roger Dobkowitz in 2022 with just those 8 words.

It doesn't help that whenever someone asks him a question about the show in its current state, it's always stated in a way that they know Roger will have something negative to say.

I have in recent years compared Roger to Bret Hart and his take on current WWE.
I support The Price is Right.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 02:44:54 PM »
and for all he complains about modern gimmicks, some of the show's more memorable bits started out as gimmicks

the showcase showdown as a concept
the concept of the Million Dollar Spectacular (and other primetime specials, including TPIR Special in 86)
the 30th anniversary special in Vegas (moreso than any other primetime special, being in a spot OTHER than Studio 33)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2022, 03:00:42 PM »
It doesn't help that whenever someone asks him a question about the show in its current state, it's always stated in a way that they know Roger will have something negative to say.

I have in recent years compared Roger to Bret Hart and his take on current WWE.

And exactly, that's what fuels it. Drives me crazy. His Facebook friend posters are the "we agree with you but must bring it up anyway for your reaction, sir." type and it's like living in an echo chamber. I'm not a WWE fan so you'll have to pardon I don't know Bret Hart or his takes in general, so I can't compare and contrast. The guy who keeps going pissy on me about Plinko is the same type of person. Unfortunately, people still 15 years later think this show is bad because Bob & Rog ain't in charge. Sorry to say, but none of us are here right now if Roger is still in charge. The show's ratings have proven that.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2022, 03:24:15 PM »
if the fandom learns to not always compare now to then, some shows (TPIR included) might become more tolerable for them

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2022, 04:16:03 PM »

I was kind of a latecomer to The Price is Right. I don't remember watching much when Bob was host, but there is one memory I have. I was watching the show with my mom. If I had to guess it was 2005-2007 sometime. I saw the set and how dated it looked, I asked my mom if it was a new episode or if it was a rerun from years before. That's how dated the show looked up through the time Bob retired.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2022, 06:34:09 PM »
I was kind of a latecomer to The Price is Right. I don't remember watching much when Bob was host, but there is one memory I have. I was watching the show with my mom. If I had to guess it was 2005-2007 sometime. I saw the set and how dated it looked, I asked my mom if it was a new episode or if it was a rerun from years before. That's how dated the show looked up through the time Bob retired.

Maybe so, but it's still way better than the current monstrosity.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2022, 06:40:52 PM »
     Maybe so, but it's still way better than the current monstrosity.

How? The show would be canceled if it were in Roger's charge. He very unlikely would've gotten along with Drew (and that was obvious that he seemed to never like Drew.) The show wasn't modernizing in 2007. It had looked the same it had 7-8 years prior. Look at the last few seasons of The Joker's Wild after Jack Barry died. The show stagnated. Hell, look at Wheel of Fortune right now. It's a stagnated mess.

The basics of the show are still the same and the show cares deeply about its history. There's already been 1 primetime special and we're getting a 2nd one, this time in daytime, on September 5. Roger may not like it because it wasn't done his way, but as I've learned over the years watching baseball players, sometimes the best in the business are the worst people to ask for advice, as they are usually tied to the marble slab of their own success.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2022, 06:53:04 PM »
plus even Bob isn't perfect - not getting into the lawsuits, but with some moments in the show (like the bonus spin/spinoff disqualification when someone didn't get it all the way around)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2022, 07:26:21 PM »
and for all he complains about modern gimmicks, some of the show's more memorable bits started out as gimmicks

It's also ironic that he complains about the lack of taste on the newest version of Match Game given how ribald the version Roger worked on was for its time. Talk of "Boobs" on broadcast television at 11:00 in the morning! Pearl clutch!

That's true, but Roger is an adult who is capable of saying, "I've said in about 250 different ways over the past decade why I don't like the current show, maybe y'all would like to ask me about something else?"

First, he said that the game shows of today were not game shows, that they were "scripted reality shows" (I went back to get his exact quote). He mentions the recent Alec Baldwin version of Match Game as being in terrible taste, and he mentions that when digital editing became popular, shows could stop tape more frequently and do retakes a lot more easier, and that live to tape is the best way of doing it.  He also says that production companies are getting "has beens" to be hosts.

"Has beens" is the wrong word to use, but it is true that networks just won't green light a game show anymore unless it has some sort of celebrity or quasi-celebrity as its host. Hell, you can't even seem to get one on in prime time unless a celeb is attached as an "executive producer." (How many people watched The Wall because Lebron James was listed as an executive producer? Apparently NBC thought a lot, because they mentioned it in every promo.)

Occasionally they turn up an unexpected gem like Michael Strahan, but these are mostly people with little interest in the genre who have to be hand-held through the whole show. I've been to some tapings of game shows with celebrity hosts, and it's almost embarrassing to watch in person. Sometimes editing can mask it a little bit, but usually the game suffers. Imagine how much better Common Knowledge would be if GSN hadn't tried to shoehorn Joey Fatone into the hosting role.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2022, 11:16:51 PM »
Watching his podcast with Roger, I actually got sad and cried, when I heard about Bob being in frail condition and cut off from everyone.

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2022, 11:48:18 PM »

Imagine if the Internet existed like this in 1984. 

OMG they changed the showcase lecterns!
What is with the PADDED turntable walls?  What, are they jumping against them?
"Phone Home Game?"  So what if E.T. was popular.  Why is someone playing from HOME and not in STUDIO 33????
Bob, quit dying your hair, it's so has-been and sad.
"Deluxe" Dice Game just looks cheaper than regular Dice Game.

And so on.  Change is fine.  Just try to understand why it is happening and the means being used to make the change.  Roger isn't involved in the change so to him it's all wrong.  It makes me curious what his COVID TPiR would have looked like.  Probably no shows at all since he would demand a full audience. 
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2022, 12:27:34 AM »

the showcase showdown as a concept
the concept of the Million Dollar Spectacular (and other primetime specials, including TPIR Special in 86)
the 30th anniversary special in Vegas (moreso than any other primetime special, being in a spot OTHER than Studio 33)

The Showcase Showdown wasn't a gimmick as a concept: it was a necessary device to narrow six contestants down to two for the showcases.

Roger has said in previous interviews that it was CBS that wanted a big gimmick for the prime time specials, not just a "bigger version" of the daytime show. Likewise, for the 30th anniversary prime time special, it was CBS that wanted a gimmick. Roger suggested taking the show on the road, yes, but it was only after CBS demanded something different.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2022, 04:40:10 AM »
Roger's feelings towards the current show shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. He was fired. After 36 years, they threw him out like garbage and I can only think that must have hurt a lot. I've never been fired from a job, but if I had, I don't think I would have much of anything nice to say about my former employer either.