Author Topic: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast  (Read 19533 times)

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2023, 11:02:42 AM »
I'm surprised this topic fell off. I've been going back and checking out some of these past episodes. Whether or not you believe the guests, its been very interesting to hear candid discussion behind the scenes. Say what you will about Roger but he oozes passion for the show.

I also have thoroughly enjoyed Kathleen's episode. I haven't read her book so I didn't really know just what a career she had pre-Price. She is a fascinating person and quite candid as well.

I respect Roger and the amount of devotion and time he put in to not just Price, but every show he worked on over his career. I respect the way Roger ran the show when he was producer, and I love that version of the show. But when he continues to not even acknowledge the tremendous job the current showrunners have done to not only update the show and keep it looking fresh in 2022, but keep it on the air when people were saying it wouldn't last without Bob, he just sounds like a bitter old man.

Congratulations for being called out for this exact post on Roger Part 2 :P.

In all seriousness, though, I agree with Roger about how the show feels today, especially with the produced audiences. I posted about that in another thread so I won't repeat myself here except to say I don't quite agree with Roger that everything is at Drew's foot. I think the studio audience and the overproduced and fame-hungry contestants are now more the problem.

And not to blow the dust off this topic too much, but I find it interesting that Rich was rumored left the show on poor(er) terms but has managed to get Roger and Fingers (whose episode I haven't listened to yet) and other talent from the show to come on.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:12:50 AM by C8 »

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2023, 11:33:14 PM »

And not to blow the dust off this topic too much, but I find it interesting that Rich was rumored left the show on poor(er) terms but has managed to get Roger and Fingers (whose episode I haven't listened to yet) and other talent from the show to come on.

So are you saying there will be no more new episodes? I thought I read some place that they were coming back some times in Jan? 

Offline C8

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2023, 12:23:09 AM »
Not even remotely. Just that it seems Rich didn’t burn as many bridges as past posts here made it seem he had.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2023, 01:25:47 AM »
Congratulations for being called out for this exact post on Roger Part 2 :P.

I get that Roger was doing a silly bit and taking the "bitter" part out of context and playing up a big scary boogeyman for the camera, but c'mon, Roger, be fair, you know that's not what he said.

(Hi, Roger, if you're reading this! Much respect for all you contributed to my favorite show, but I have to admit there's a lot of things I've come to like about Drew's era. I don't live in a basement, and would be happy to not be anonymous, happy to talk anytime.)

Not even remotely. Just that it seems Rich didn’t burn as many bridges as past posts here made it seem he had.

Sure, but you'll notice that Kathy, Roger, Kathleen, Shane, etc. had already departed from the show when Rich did whatever it was that got him fired made them decide not to renew his contract.

Maybe he'll surprise us by getting, I dunno, Stan or Rich DiPirro as a guest, but thus far it's been "old guard" or people considered old guard by 2011.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2023, 03:34:16 PM »
Not to start a fire in this thread, but is the podcast actually ever going to ever come back? Rich made some terrible comments on-air during a morning newscast back in November and four days later season one abruptly ended despite having guests scheduled all the way out. The podcast page then went completely silent and despite promising new episodes "in Early December" there hasn't been even a hint towards when new episodes will return. Rich was taken off air the next day after his on-air remarks and he still hasn't returned to all his on-air duties, seemingly getting demoted to weekends and holidays.

Some of Rich's former co-workers also started to speak out against him after his remarks hit the airwaves. Maybe the guy who broke into Television City twice (that we know of) ISN'T the greatest person. I love the stories being told on the podcast but Rich just kinda gives me an icky feeling. Not to mention his announcing was pretty bad too. I know Rich will see this since he seemingly had a thread talking about his dismissal from the show completely deleted from the site last year. (Unless I'm wrong about this and the thread was deleted and removed for other reasons, instead of just being locked like any other thread)

Anyways to get this post back on track, as fun as the podcast was, I don't think we'll see it come back for a third revival. You can only share the same three stories so many times.
Sure, but you'll notice that Kathy, Roger, Kathleen, Shane, etc. had already departed from the show when Rich did whatever it was that got him fired made them decide not to renew his contract.
Bingo. They were all gone before he was.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2023, 05:09:48 PM »

Maybe he'll surprise us by getting, I dunno, Stan or Rich DiPirro as a guest, but thus far it's been "old guard" or people considered old guard by 2011.

Bingo. They were all gone before he was.

I think Kathy was still around following Rich's dismissal.  Though not much longer.  I believe she appeared early in 2011 before her exit, with her final episode being taped in 2010.

Still the so-called old-guard is accurate.  The podcast was okay, maybe pretty good, but I can't say I'm saddened about its status if it's gone permanently.  Nothing personal, but there are so many options for content related to the show, past, present, and the future
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2023, 09:15:41 PM »
Rich made some terrible comments on-air during a morning newscast back in November and [...] was taken off air the next day after his on-air remarks and he still hasn't returned to all his on-air duties, seemingly getting demoted to weekends and holidays.
This was decidedly not ringing a bell to me at first. While I believe I have tracked down footage of the incident in question (as an embedded video in a tweet), I am not certain as to whether I would be risking a reprimand from a mod by linking to it here (I had initially shared the link as plaintext in this post, but have since removed it; my apologies).

Some of Rich's former co-workers also started to speak out against him after his remarks hit the airwaves.
I was not able to find much in the way of this, however.

Maybe the guy who broke into Television City twice (that we know of) ISN'T the greatest person.
Eh? When was this (or "were these", more accurately)?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:24:35 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2023, 11:25:24 PM »
I was not able to find much in the way of this, however.
In the replies to the tweet featuring the embedded video a few former CBS LA anchors responded once the clip went viral, it's hidden in a thread of replies but it's there.
Eh? When was this (or "were these", more accurately)?
By his own admission on the podcast, once in the 80s when Johnny was still the announcer and once in the late 90s early 00s before he was the announcer. He shared pictures from the second time and Kathy Greco vaguely remembered the first when she was on.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2023, 12:12:03 AM »
I didn't even realize they had dates lined up for some of the announced guests. I just thought they were on holiday hiatus. I can't find anything related to inappropriate or terrible comments made on-air, though I notice the 10 Tampa Bay Twitter has a different meteorologist for their weather posts.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2023, 10:30:39 AM »
In the replies to the tweet featuring the embedded video a few former CBS LA anchors responded once the clip went viral, it's hidden in a thread of replies but it's there.
I did see those, but considering your initial explanation I had (evidently mistakenly) thought there was somewhat more.

I can't find anything related to inappropriate or terrible comments made on-air,
Sent you a PM.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2023, 04:26:34 PM »
I was wondering what happen to his Podcast. He said on facebook he was going to have Burton on as a guest i was looking forward to seeing him. Did his co host get demoted too?

He was an okay announcer. I was shocked Randy and Burton was passed over for Rich.

Offline jerseyfla

• Outside in Line
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2023, 02:07:32 PM »
I live in the Tampa Bay Area but I admittedly don’t watch WTSP 10 Tampa Bay (The station Rich worked for) for news. I watch the Fox O&O or NBC affiliate here. Rich has officially left or was canned from the station. His bio is gone from WTSP’s website, the podcast playlist on the station’s YouTube is gone, and his LinkedIn now reflects he left the station this month. The Come On Down podcast videos were not deleted (yet) so I created a public playlist for TPIR fans enjoyment. 

Offline C8

« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2023, 03:07:16 PM »
I live in the Tampa Bay Area but I admittedly don’t watch WTSP 10 Tampa Bay (The station Rich worked for) for news. I watch the Fox O&O or NBC affiliate here. Rich has officially left or was canned from the station. His bio is gone from WTSP’s website, the podcast playlist on the station’s YouTube is gone, and his LinkedIn now reflects he left the station this month. The Come On Down podcast videos were not deleted (yet) so I created a public playlist for TPIR fans enjoyment.

Whatever he did he gone done it.

The podcast is still available on Apple Podcasts, however, its audio only.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2023, 11:21:32 PM »
Was Rich being stupid again?  Isn't that the reason his contract wasn't renewed when he was the TPiR announcer?

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2023, 01:36:32 AM »
On a morning broadcast, while his co-anchors were filling time & chattering about how coffee makes you feel better, Rich abruptly changed the subject and made several comments implying a specific co-anchor had a checkered past, and then did a big fake laugh like he'd said the funniest thing ever.

I'm not going to link the clip, although it's not too hard to find if you look. But it headed past "boy, that joke landed poorly" and barreled into "why on earth would you think it was a good idea to say that, it's baffling why any human being would think that bringing that up was a good idea, let alone one with 30 years of broadcasting experience".

I don't know the exact reason his Price contract wasn't renewed. But it's not too hard to connect the dots and suggest maybe there was other behavior that wasn't well-thought-out.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."