Author Topic: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?  (Read 15516 times)

Offline jericho

• Outside in Line
Re: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2023, 07:32:52 PM »
As a Gen Z pre-casted over-energetic attention-seeking good-looking robot contestant who was on a primetime show, politely, mrrp off. The energy in that studio is still immensely overwhelming. You still have no idea you’re being called until they say your name. And absolutely nothing is fake, what you see is real human emotions. Everything that I “manufactured” to bring up my energy was edited out.

Also, I love rotary phones. I’ve got three of them, one of them hooked up and working!

There’s no need to make broad generalizations about the show and an entire generation because you personally don’t like it/them.

Go watch TPIR: the Barker Era channel and tell me that audience isn't 1000% more energetic than 30 people sitting at tables. And its authentic energy and excitement. I make a generalization because I'm not going to take up time and space analyzing every contestant that comes on. Just look back at the process you had to go through to get on the show and how elaborate and detailed it was. They were hiring an actor not a real person. I don't mean this as a personal attack on you. My critique is on the process and mentality of the current show runners and modern television.  It is my view that TPIR is on the air still only because of the decline of network television today and the legacy of TPIR. You don't have to get a huge rating anymore to have a hit show. The quality of the current TPIR is nowhere near what it used to be.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2023, 07:39:06 PM »
meanwhile, you haven't made a post besides to complain about the state of the show and how "fake" you think everything is

who's to say season 52 won't go back to a full audience... just sit this storm out

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2023, 07:52:54 PM »
Yeah, with rumors of the production moving to a new studio, I wouldn't make any claims about what the audience is going to look like in future seasons, one way or another.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2023, 07:54:23 PM »
Go watch TPIR: the Barker Era channel and tell me that audience isn't 1000% more energetic than 30 people sitting at tables. And its authentic energy and excitement. I make a generalization because I'm not going to take up time and space analyzing every contestant that comes on. Just look back at the process you had to go through to get on the show and how elaborate and detailed it was. They were hiring an actor not a real person. I don't mean this as a personal attack on you. My critique is on the process and mentality of the current show runners and modern television.  It is my view that TPIR is on the air still only because of the decline of network television today and the legacy of TPIR. You don't have to get a huge rating anymore to have a hit show. The quality of the current TPIR is nowhere near what it used to be.

I watch TBE and that audience isn't 1000% more energetic than 30. The energy isn't in the quantity it's the quality. While I've yet to be in the audience during the current audience situation I have to agree with Thatgameshowguy that everything you see and hear is 100% real and natural. Besides if you don't like the current show, don't watch it

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2023, 07:58:56 PM »
Non-real person here. Been in both the full audience and the pods. Energy levels are comparable.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2023, 08:38:47 PM »
I had not watched a new daytime the price is right since the contestants were on stage during Covid in 2020. While working out at the gym, I happened to see one of the primetime shows recently and I was appalled and in shock at the small amount of audience sitting at tables.  What the heck is that?  How is it even exciting or surprising that you get called to "come on down" out of 30 people? I'm obviously not the target demo anymore for TPIR and I never watch new episodes, so I'm sure CBS cares as much about my opinion as a Gen Z'er cares about a rotary phone.  But my gosh, there is no energy or excitement in that studio anymore.  There is simply pre-casted over-energetic, attention-seeking, good looking robots who nobody cares about.

I *dearly* want the studio full again in S52, if for no other reason than I want to go before they move. However, I think they've done a terrific job of getting folks from all ages and across the socioeconomic spectrum, especially considering the restrictions of the pod setup and the tiktiok culture you reference, if not by name.

The old eps reveal a need to bring the pretty people up along with regular people, even then. The drive has always been to hold viewers with arresting visuals.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2023, 08:46:02 PM »
Things seem to be escalating here a bit.

I think some of us, myself included, might just need to come to the realization that the show has strayed too far from what we want it to be for it to be enjoyable enough for us to watch anymore. It really makes me sad to come to that conclusion myself. I've watched every episode for decades and I've been watching since a kid in the late 70s. Until this year. The 50th season excitement got me through last year, but I just can't seem to get myself to be excited by it this season enough to watch regularly. I haven't even tuned in to more than one of the prime time specials this season. I read about the super fans episode that I had wanted to watch but missed. It sounded great, but I never even took the time to look it up online.

We're at a point where we're largely beyond seeing what the show might learn from its experiments. So much of what they're changing now is really a consequence of outside factors...the state of broadcast television, the way life is post-COVID (or not really post COVID). The world has changed and the show has adapted to continue operating in the current environment, but somehow for me the magic is gone. Maybe some of it is a factor of my own age and changing priorities, but the fact is that I really *do* still *want* to like and watch the show. But it's note even the medicine I need on a sick day along with my chicken noodle soup and 7UP any more. It doesn't feel like the familiar friend at the end of a long day. It's reflecting what the world has become, as it probably should, but I don't really want or need a reminder of that.

I'm glad that there are still fans that feel as passionate and interested in the show as I have been proud to be for so long. But maybe only four+ decades worth were my cup of tea. That's still staggeringly amazing that a show could have been such a source of joy for me for that long.

Just my thoughts. Maybe they can resonate with others, or maybe not.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2023, 09:07:38 PM »
Maybe they can resonate with others, or maybe not.

They certainly resonate with me. You've put into words exactly what I've been feeling about this show for a while now.

It's not like I hate the show or am mad about how it's changed. There are certainly things I don't like, but really it's just... not the show I loved anymore. The COVID changes were the final straw; watching the show without a full audience is just sad to me.

The crowd noise and excitement, and the fact that anyone could just walk off the street and be called, is a huge part of the magic. Without that, it's just not the same show. I really hope this new arrangement isn't permanent, but I'm not optimistic.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2023, 09:53:58 PM »
Once the show got popular, that put a quick halt to just walking in off the street and getting called, no?

Offline SuperMatch93

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2023, 12:39:29 AM »
I still watch the show every so often (though not nearly as much as I used to due to my work schedule) and the enjoyment is still there with the pods. I didn't watch during the no audience phase, though.

What disappoints me the most is that if this becomes the norm, I'll never have a chance to sit in the full audience and have that experience. It was the one game show that didn't have a full audition process, and seeing the show in person is something I've wanted to do since I was about six years old. It's honestly heartbreaking to me.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2023, 09:27:06 AM »
The quality of the current TPIR is nowhere near what it used to be.
No. It’s higher now.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2023, 10:22:18 AM »
The show is still just as good and ratings reflect it. I've personally accepted I'm never gonna be on the show because of my utter lack of personality and lack of connections. But damn it, I still love the show and I still love doing the recap even if lineups like yesterday's stink donkey pigeons.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline jericho

• Outside in Line
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2023, 01:49:18 PM »
The show is still just as good and ratings reflect it. I've personally accepted I'm never gonna be on the show because of my utter lack of personality and lack of connections. But damn it, I still love the show and I still love doing the recap even if lineups like yesterday's stink donkey pigeons.

Boring people used to get on the show all the time.  And Bob made them interesting.

Offline jericho

• Outside in Line
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2023, 01:51:19 PM »
I watch TBE and that audience isn't 1000% more energetic than 30. The energy isn't in the quantity it's the quality. While I've yet to be in the audience during the current audience situation I have to agree with Thatgameshowguy that everything you see and hear is 100% real and natural. Besides if you don't like the current show, don't watch it

I would bet my life savings they are pumping in crowd noise on the new shows.  It's so obvious.  Also the edits on the current show drive me crazy.  Just tape the show and let what happens happen. That is what made classic TPIR so great.

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2023, 02:37:17 PM »
Yes, there is some crowd pumping in because the noise isn't always loud. It's noticeable and gets a little annoying, but that's also not unusual within game shows. The audience is still pumped and happy to be there, even if sweetening is a thing.

It's not like they're taking 3 hours to film an hour episode. Things still flow pretty naturally and the edits are just a product of having less time to work with as compared to the old days. And honestly, I'm fine with that. I really don't appreciate, especially as we head towards the end of the Barker Era, how he'd take his sweet time in the first segment or two and then we're be in hurry up mode the rest of the show.

It's not fair to the later contestants and plus now it gives the show space to breathe when it needs to. There are days when it feels like we have so much to pack in that it feels cramped, but they still regularly have time to include overbids or highlight those special moments that happen within the show. It's still the same show all these years later. Even among everything that's changed over the last 15/25/50 years, it's still got the same core that it had when it first started.

Yes, it sucks that they are limiting the audience to the contestant pool and I wish they could go back to a bigger audience; but for what they have had to do, it has been very successful and it has continued to produce quality content. They've figured it out and it works very well for what they want to do.