Author Topic: Why I Prefer One Right Price Over Switch? and How I Would Improve Switch?  (Read 470 times)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
So, it has become obvious to me that Switch? is more popular than One Right Price. However, I strongly prefer One Right Price over Switch? Switch? bores me while I enjoy One Right Price.

First, I do like One Right Price's set better. Switch? barely even has a set with its small purple and yellow circles. The biggie though is that I think One Right Price is a better test of pricing skill than Switch? Because only one price is presented in One Right Price, you have to be able make the value judgement for which prize that price is more appropriate for. Actually seeing both prices in Switch can be a huge hint because even if you don't know which prize one of the prices is more appropriate for, if you can figure out the second you can use elimination. Only seeing one of the prices adds a bit more of a challenge. I really enjoy playing along at home with One Right Price. I also don't like that in Switch an initial setup can be a winning answer. In One Right Price, there is no initial setup in that sense and you have to make a choice as to which prize the price goes to.

Another reason I don't like Switch? is what I'll call wasted potential syndrome. One Right Price never going to be anything more than it is. However, Switch? had the potential to be a much more interesting game with a better test of pricing skill. Here's two ways Switch could have been better: Idea 1: Make Switch? a four prize game with two sets of two prizes and a starting price on each prize. There would be three possible winning solutions. There would be two prizes on each side of the stage with each have a price. To win, the contestant would have to correctly identify whether the prices on the left side should be switched, whether the prices on the right side should be switched, or whether both sets of prices should be switched. (The initial setup would not be an option.) Idea 2: Keep Switch? a 2 prize game but have two prices on each side of the stage in the initial setup. One price on each prize and one price just to the left of the prize. To win, a contestant would have to identify whether the prize on the left side of the stage should have its price switched, whether the prize on the right side of the stage should have its price switched, or whether both prizes should have their price switched. (Again, the initial setup would not be an option.) Both of these ideas would make Switch? a better and more interesting game with a better test of pricing skill and more substance.

I get the impression that the reason some people prefer Switch? as it is over One Right Price is because of the whole models bumping into each other joke/thing, but I don't much care about that. I like One Right Price better because I think it a better test of pricing skill with a bit more of a challenge and I enjoy playing along at home with it.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.