Author Topic: $ale of the Century discussion  (Read 1160 times)

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
$ale of the Century discussion
« on: June 25, 2023, 05:48:17 PM »
Hey, all. I've been thinking a lot about the 1980s $ale of the Century on NBC. I've heard lots of things regarding the status of the pre-July 1988 NBC eps, and I don't want to open a can of worms, but, at best, they are MIA; however, like what we saw regarding the syndie 1970s Hollywood Squares eps and the original CBS The Joker's Wild, you never know if they will turn up.

Anyway, quite a few early eps of the show have turned up lately (namely Mort Kamins' run for the lot in March of '83, and one ep from January 1984), and this is second-hand info from the commenters, but the first lot winner (before the cash jackpot was put in place) was a guy named Michael Todaro.

It also made me wonder, since Mort's first ep concided with the debut of Lee Menning; did they even acknowledge Sally's departure on the last show? I guess we'll never know.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: $ale of the Century discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 10:53:05 AM »
It also made me wonder, since Mort's first ep concided with the debut of Lee Menning; did they even acknowledge Sally's departure on the last show? I guess we'll never know.

I know there's likely no way to know, unless someone unearths a "lost" episode from March 1983.

My guess is, given what's been (speculatively) written about Sally Julian and her on-camera skills during her short time with the show, etc. ... well, I don't know. Sorry, can't give a straight answer.

But since you do know about the first lot winner, Michael Todaro ... I wonder if you have any additional details (e.g., winnings total and (possibly) what he won ... I'd guess at least a Mercedes-Benz, since that was always the grand-level prize in that era). If not, I suppose we can chalk that up to missing episodes.

Brian

Brian

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 12:11:12 PM »
But since you do know about the first lot winner, Michael Todaro ... I wonder if you have any additional details (e.g., winnings total and (possibly) what he won ... I'd guess at least a Mercedes-Benz, since that was always the grand-level prize in that era). If not, I suppose we can chalk that up to missing episodes.
Only detail I "know" is that he did return for the 1983 Tournament of Champions, competed against Fran Wolfe and Helen Durvall. Fran won, and faced Mort and Kathy Powers in the finals.

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 02:55:38 PM »
^ That's the only deet I know about Mr. Todaro; the eps where he competed in that ToC are lurking on the trading circuit, but have yet to be uploaded.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 03:25:36 PM »
^ That's the only deet I know about Mr. Todaro; the eps where he competed in that ToC are lurking on the trading circuit, but have yet to be uploaded.

I know one of those episodes has been uploaded; there was, among other prizes, a trip to the 1984 Winter Olympic Games in Yugoslavia (included passes to two events each day, all of the contestant's choice) and a Cadillac Eldorado coupe were two of the grand prizes.

Brian

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 02:02:46 AM »
I gotta wonder did Jim Perry get along with Sally Julian during her short two month stint?