Author Topic: 2023 NFL Season  (Read 18473 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: 2023 NFL Season
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2023, 02:15:47 PM »
Jacksonville-Atlanta is the London game this Sunday at 9 AM ET on the ESPN+ streaming service (locally it's on WSB in Atlanta and WFOX in Jacksonville FL) with the Jaguars a field goal favorite. If the Falcons play like they did in Detroit, the puddy tats will pants them and take their lunch money.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2023, 07:49:35 PM »
One of the segments on Monday Night Football will not be returning this season and that is C'Mon Man!

To be honest it's a real shame that they got rid of it as they used it from 2008 until the end of the 2022 NFL season, in part because of ESPN laying off staff but also the NFL forcing ESPN to cancel that segment. I liked it when the worst plays of the week (NFL, college football, and sometimes high school football) made the C'Mon Man! list and the studio crew laughed about it.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2023, 03:00:47 AM »
What's next to get dropped on ESPN? Not Top 10? Friday Funnies? Lighten up, NFL.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2023, 12:46:37 PM »
Given all of the sports media material I had to watch (and catch up on) during the Monday that closed Week One, I wasn't sure if it was done away with or if they moved it to a different segment on the show.  Still wasn't sure afterwards due to the double content.  I guess I have my answer.

It's a sad day as that segment was pretty cool, but IMO, it's not a big deal.  Probably a new direction with the SVP Era.  While it was done well post CC and Key, I thought it wasn't as epic when they left.  Pretty much everything runs its course & nothing lasts forever.

I think Not Top 10 is safe.  Nothing to worry about there.  The NFL has no control over that; ESPN hangs up the phone if they get a call to do away with that segment
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2023, 01:55:07 PM »
For those who care about such esoterism, there were not 1 but 2 scorigamis over the weekend, making a total of 3 in 3 weeks! The Dolphins' 70-20 win and the Eagles' 25-11 win were both the first time either of those scores were final scores in an NFL game. Usually there's only 3-5 scorigamis in a season, so this is a treat for us math geeks :).

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2023, 12:24:32 PM »
Atlanta stinks up London with a 23-7 loss to Jacksonville. Desmond Ridder gets picked twice, sacked four times, and loses the ball in the last 2:00 to a strip sack. Falcons are home vs. Houston next week while Jacksonville stays in London another week to play Buffalo. Today for Buffalo (vs. Miami), Damar Hamlin is expected to play. Good stuff there.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2023, 02:01:50 PM »
Sunday's Chiefs-Jets game was the highest rated game televised since the Super Bowl, due in no small part to...uh...what's her name again?
--Michel de Montaigne

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2023, 02:13:07 PM »
Meh.  It probably was slated to hit those numbers or maybe not but still top everything else in the ratings before Aaron Rodgers got hurt

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2023, 11:44:45 PM »
A couple scheduling changes for Week Six include Tampa Bay & Detroit moving from the 1:00 start time to the GOTW slot of 4:25, and the Jets/Eagles game likely no longer being the game the A Team will be calling one week from Sunday.  The latter looks like it'll be a blowout.

What may be odd is the scheduled SNF game featuring New York & Buffalo is still in that 8:20 spot.  Probably not ideal to flex out an NFC East team, but Cleveland/San Francisco would've been a better matchup.  IMO, that was the only choice to move to Sunday night, but I guess it was protected.

Kansas City & Minnesota is now the 4:25 main game on 10/08/23, as opposed to Jets & Denver. 

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2023, 08:33:38 AM »
What may be odd is the scheduled SNF game featuring New York & Buffalo is still in that 8:20 spot.  Probably not ideal to flex out an NFC East team, but Cleveland/San Francisco would've been a better matchup.  IMO, that was the only choice to move to Sunday night, but I guess it was protected.

NBC can only flex games twice between Weeks 5 and 10 (from Week 11 on it is at the discretion of the NFL), and there are even less compelling matchups scheduled for Weeks 8 (Bears/Chargers) and 10 (Jets/Raiders). Hell, even the Week 9 matchup between the Bills and the Bengals is more worthy of the flex treatment.

Bills-Giants might not be a particularly great game, but they're two teams with loyal fanbases, one of which is in the largest market in the country...so even if its a bad game it'll still be worth it for NBC.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2023, 11:31:43 PM »
The drought is finally over for the Chicago Bears as they beat the Washington Commanders 40-20.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2023, 11:09:48 AM »
Imagine being a Commanders fan at a bar near the University of Iowa, where half the damn campus is from Chicago.

Oh wait, that’s me. AMA. 

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2023, 04:09:51 PM »
Desmond Ridder outduels C.J. Stroud as Atlanta tops Houston, 21-19. Younghoe Koo kicks the 33-yard game winner with :02 left. Neither QB got sacked or threw an INT, although Atlanta did commit a pair of turnovers. Ridder threw for 329, Stroud for 246.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline gameshowrecaps

• In the Audience
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2023, 04:12:10 PM »
Patriots got shut out by the Saints today (34-0).

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2023, 04:20:57 PM »
I guess the safe bet is to pick Atlanta at home, and against them on the road