Author Topic: 2023 NFL Season  (Read 18473 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
2023 NFL Season
« on: July 20, 2023, 03:18:20 PM »
I'm going to start the NFL thread for the upcoming season.  It's a little early than I originally planned for the most part, but not by much.  Instead of bumping up the off-topic thread, I figured that with training camp next week, coupled with the fact that no one's posted in the off-season thread in over a month, I would get this going.  After all, giving how summer flies by, the 2023 NFL Season will be here in no time!

The 104th season, better known as the 2023 NFL Season, is slated to begin on Thursday, September 7th, 2023, at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri.  The preseason gets going real soon; as of this post, it’s actually 2 weeks away.  The Hall of Fame Game featuring the New York Jets & the Cleveland Browns, takes place in 14 days & features several members of the HOF class of 2023 that will be inducted two days later on that Saturday in Canton, OH.

For the 18th time since 2004, the season will begin with the defending champions hosting another opponent.  The math says it’s the 20th time since they started doing this 19 years ago, but that’s not the case.  Baltimore was featured in the NFL kickoff a decade ago, but that was on the road against Denver due to an MLB conflict with the team from the same city.  New England did open their 2019 season at home, but it was pushed back 3 days to make room for Green Bay/Chicago as part of the celebration of the 100th season of the NFL.

The home team/champs winning percentage still decent despite LA’s loss against Buffalo a year ago.  That winning percentage is expected to increase after the game between Detroit & Kansas City comes to an end.  Other games scheduled in Week 1 include 13 Sunday games on Fox & CBS including a CBS/Fox game of the week at 4:25 PM Eastern.  Week One will wrap up with two primetime games: one on NBC with Sunday Night Football (18th season) and on Monday on ESPN with MNF (18th season and 54th overall).  Currently, it is scheduled to conclude on Sunday, February 11, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada (Paradise, LV for official accuracy, I guess).  The regular season is done on January 7, with the playoffs starting the following Saturday, January 13.

Returning this year is the Thursday Night Package.  After 8 seasons of Network coverage for TNF, it’s exclusive to Amazon Prime.  What’s new this year is a Black Friday game.  Amazon Prime will get a game during Thanksgiving week, while NBC airs the 3rd part of the Turkey Day triple header for the 11th time since 2012 and 3rd consecutive.  While there are changes to the studio teams for the NFL networks, the announcers remain the same.  To be more specific, the top announcers remain the same as I imagine there are some departures and arrivals of other people with a typical network.

There are still 285 games on tap this year, as we’re in the third year of a 17-game schedule.  The extra game is still AFC vs NFC.  As was the case in 2021, the NFC travels to the AFC.  Basically, the structure this season is the same as last year.  Three seasons ago, they avoided a Super Bowl / Valentines Day conflict as they still had 16 games per team.  However, it’ll be a possibility in 2027, but they’ll likely work stuff out by then (though TBH, whatever happens, life and business will continue for the most part)
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2023 NFL Season
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 09:55:47 PM »
It's very possible we could see a Kansas City-Philadelphia Super Bowl rematch, as each, at this early phase, still look like the best in each conference if they can stay healthy.  There'll be additional subliminal pressure, perhaps, for Philadelphia to win their matchup with the Jets, given they haven't lost the to the latter yet. 

In the AFC, the usual suspects of late, Cincinnati and Buffalo, look like alternate contenders.  Miami could be a dark horse if they can pull it all together, as too may be the Chargers.  San Francisco would probably be considered the second option in the NFC, with Dallas somewhat behind, and Detroit and Seattle possible outside candidates.  We'll of course have to wait and see how the ensuing months unfold. 

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 03:20:45 AM »
Falcons seem content to hitch their wagon to QB Desmond Ridder's star. In the five games he played last year, Ridder threw no picks and never got sacked. How he'll do playing a full 17 remains to be seen and the draft yielded mixed results for the team, so the tea leaves are telling me the Falcons will go 8-9 this season. Their schedule is presumably easier but that doesn't mean squat after the coin toss.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 05:21:37 AM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 11:45:16 PM »
Kansas City and Philadelphia again, while people might be unhappy for that repeat, would be okay for me.  I think it depends on if San Francisco can get that Top NFC Spot

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 05:48:41 AM »
Falcons finish preseason with a 1-1-1 record (losing last night to Pittsburgh 24-0) so now comes the pruning. Ridder and Bijan  Robinson (both of whom did not play last night) are definitely in; Taylor Heinecke may not survive after the night at QB he had last night.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 11:57:34 PM »
His career might be done, TBH.

Meanwhile, and somewhat fortunately, Trey Lance's career isn't done.  The 3rd overall pick is exiting San Francisco & headed to Dallas.  Not that great, but still a new start

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 03:38:39 PM »
Taylor Heinecke survives the cut and will be Ridder's backup. G Jalen Mayfield, third-round pick from 2021, was cut.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 11:55:16 AM »
Who knows what to expect with Atlanta.  People are either going with Carolina or New Orleans.  One has a rookie QB but a pretty good HC, and the other has a pretty good QB but not a decent, defensive HC.  Falcons could be the wildcard & that team no one thinks can make it but does.  There's always someone new at the end of the day

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 11:36:47 PM »
Cowboys RT Steele agrees to 5-yr, $86.8M extension

We'll see if it's enough to head back to the NFC Title game for the first time in nearly 3 decades.  At least, as mentioned, they're doing whatever it takes to protect Prescott

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 08:10:58 PM »
Lions 41, Chiefs 28.

The line, which was 4.5 from 6 (or dropped from 6.5 to 5) in favor of Kansas City, dropped to 4 and then 3.5 upon the news of Kelce.  I didn't even need to look at what caused the rapid drop.

We'll see how Patrick can play without Travis for the first time.  That 31-point surge New England had over six years ago occurred without Gronk.

Speaking of New England, Mahomes first game as a member of KC concluded in a surprising win in favor of KC at the expense of the Pats.  That occurred on this date in 2017.

If the face of the NFL can get it done, IDC that it's at Arrowhead.  That shows that it doesn't matter who's in and who's out.  That's scary for the other 31 teams, but not for KC.

I'll post my other stuff later, but I do have Kansas City finishing in 3rd place in the AFC West without any wins after 01/07/24.  I have Detroit winning the NFC North.  Not sure I can post how far they go in the NFC but I don't have them winning it

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2023, 03:06:59 PM »
MY 2023 STANDINGS

AFCW: Chargers, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders
AFCS: Jaguars, Titans, Texans, Colts
AFCE: Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Bills
AFCN: Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, Browns

NFCW: Niners, Seahawks, Rams, Cards
NFCS: Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Bucs
NFCE: Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, Commanders
NFCN: Lions, Vikings, Packers, Bears

AFC Postseason

WC: Los Angeles over Kansas City // Cincinnati over Denver // Baltimore over Miami
DR: Jacksonville over Baltimore // Los Angeles over Cincinnati
AFCCG: Jacksonville over Los Angeles

NFC Postseason

WC: Philadelphia over New Orleans // Detroit over New York // Seattle over Atlanta
DR: Philadelphia over Detroit // San Francisco over Seattle
NFCCG: San Francisco over Philadelphia

SUPER BOWL LVIII: San Francisco 49ers over Jacksonville Jaguars

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 12:12:10 PM »
My Super Bowl LVIII prediction:   Dallas over Baltimore

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2023, 04:14:14 PM »
Atlanta defeats Carolina 24-10. The Desmond Ridder-Bryce Young matchup was pretty even with both throwing a TD pass and each tossing for rather paltry yards (146 for Young, 116 for Ridder). Ridder had 0 interceptions to Young's two, while Ridder was sacked four times to Young's two. This was Atlanta's first opening day win since 2017.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline gameshowrecaps

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2023, 04:17:00 PM »
The Buccaneers defeat my Vikings 20-17. Hope we have better luck next game.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2023, 11:18:32 PM »
No words for how the New York Giants did tonight as the Dallas Cowboys shut out the Giants 40-0.