Author Topic: Could Bob Barker return?  (Read 16357 times)

Offline pbarrett

• 6/15/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Could Bob Barker return?
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »
Well Put......

You mentioned an "infamous pitch film" Mark Goodson made for TPiR. Where could I find this. Also, for those who have host input for CBS/Freemantle, where do we voice our input?

Thanks
Phil

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2007, 03:06:38 PM »

Philip Barrett wrote:
You mentioned an "infamous pitch film" Mark Goodson made for TPiR. Where could I find this.

Here you go!

Offline JRaygor

• Outside in Line
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2007, 04:34:17 PM »
I agree that Barker will not come back.

It's only human to walk away from something you love, look back and say, "Gosh, I'm really going to miss doing that, I wish I could turn around and do it again just one more time..."

Who can blame him feeling uncertain about his retirement? It sure would be tough for me to walk away from something as fun as the host of TPIR!

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2007, 07:29:21 PM »
As much as I think that would be a very happy thing for a lot of fans, I see three problems which should put the kibosh on it:

1) All the stuff about attending Bob's final taping and all.  Do they really want to go through more of the ballyhoo with the lines and the like?

2) Fremantle might get lazier and basically not find a new host.

3) Do we really want to have to grieve AGAIN once the time comes (for real this time)??

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2007, 07:31:33 PM »

Madonna wrote:
I'm sorry, but the more I think about it (for the sake of the show), the best choice would be running classic episodes until season 36 can begin.

Second vote for this!!  :)

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2007, 03:06:58 PM »
Vote #3! :dsw:  :wsd:

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2007, 07:03:20 PM »
I think if they don't have a host by say July or August, they should just run classic episodes until they find one.  I've made my peace with Bob leaving.  I don't want to have to go through it again.  I agree with Starcade's third point.

Offline Madonna

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2007, 10:12:01 PM »

styleguy wrote:
I think if they don't have a host by say July or August, they should just run classic episodes until they find one.  I've made my peace with Bob leaving.  I don't want to have to go through it again.  I agree with Starcade's third point.

I haven't quite "made my peace" with it, and it may take some time. But, I have admitted to myself that his career came to a close last Wednesday.

And, no, I am not so sure I want to go through it again.

I had one of my friends the other night say "Well, it'd be different (if Bob filled-in). You'd know it's only temporary." Yeah? And I knew since Halloween that he was going to close his incredible career in June... It didn't cause it to hurt any less when he did. :confused:

I'd love to see more Bob - as in see him go on and on and on forever. But wanting, and believing it'll happen, are two different things.

Seeing Bob "come back" temporarily would be fun, of course. But it'd also be like a Band-Aid (in more ways than one), and it'd hurt like hell again when it got yanked off.

By the way, I see you still have my boots. :P
In loving and eternal memory of a truly beautiful goddess.

Offline fortify1

• Outside in Line
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2007, 10:42:50 PM »
According to TVGameshows.net, there is a report that Mark DeCarlo is having an audition this week. I think he could be a good contender for host of that show. I've seen his Travel Channel shows, and I think he is very good with the characters in the segments. Yes, sometimes he does tend to steal the spotlight from the people he interviews; but overall he does a very good job. Any thoughts?

http://tvgameshows.net/bignews.htm

Offline James_Fabiano

• In the Audience
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2007, 07:07:17 PM »

Blissey wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070607/ap_en_tv/bob_barker_finale;_ylt=AicwIIbbOuU9cC.O_7JonIRxFb8C

In this article on Yahoo, Bob says that if a new host is not determined by the start of production on Season 36, he would volunteer to fill in until a new host is chosen.

Oh no this is going to be...a WRESTLING RETIREMENT!!  (Can see Bob coming out the doors the beginning of 36th season and saying, "I didn't say I was retired, I said I was TIRED, brother!"  (WCW Monday Nitro watchers will get that reference)
I STILL BELIEVE IN "THE PRICE IS RIGHT"

Offline mcfehn

• In the Audience
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2007, 02:43:31 PM »
I've been thinking about the new host dilema for many months.  I've always been on the Todd Newton bandwagon and still am.  As I said in another thread...I feel he is the show's best hope for another long run.  But I've come up with a very close second.  Unfortunately, his contract with ABC may get in the way...but I think Tom Bergeron might be an excellent choice.  I can totally see him on stage yukking it up with the contestants.  Anyone know if his name has ever come up.

I also like the idea of having Rich put in the mix.  I had never given him a thought until reading it on here.  

The right person IS out there and no, it's not Bob Eubanks, John O'Hurley or George Hamilton.  My new top three after reading this thread are:

1.  Todd Newton (my choice from the beginning)

2.  Tom Bergeron (my new number 2 but probably not likely)

3.  Rich Fields  (totally makes sense.  Too bad the higher ups don't seem to like the idea.)

If Rich were to be chosen as host, I don't think you'd have to go very far to find a new announcer.  I think Richard Burton did a fine job before Rich was made permanent.  And if not Richard, then my second choice for announcer with Rich as host would be Shadoe Stevens from one of the various incarnations of Hollywood squares.

DAMN I'M GOOD!

Offline roxburyguy2

• In the Audience
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2007, 02:49:55 PM »
If Rich were to be chosen as host, I don't think you'd have to go very far to find a new announcer.  I think Richard Burton did a fine job before Rich was made permanent.

I believe you are thinking of Burton Richardson as the announcer.  Richard Burton is dead I think, but stranger things have happened before... :oldlol:  :oldlol:

Rich would make a great host IMHO, but as it stands right now it isn't gonna happen.

Offline mcfehn

• In the Audience
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2007, 03:00:01 PM »
You're totally right.  Why was I thinking Richard Burton?  He's been dead since 1984.  Thanks for clearing up my stupidity.  And to think, I call myself a fan.

Offline rairity

• Outside in Line
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2007, 03:50:45 AM »
I remember Bob from the TOC days, and recall as a 12 year old in 1972 thinking how "wrong" it seemed that he should be doing a DIFFERENT show -- at that time I guess I felt: Bob Barker IS Truth or Consequences just as many feel that he is TPIR today (or yesterday).

I've since watched Bob dozens of times on TPIR. Not a dedicated fan of the show or even per se of him, but now for the last several weeks, as a anthropology professor and astute observer of popular culture and student of American culture, I have found myself both shedding tears and pondering long and hard about the "meaning of Bob Barker."

I'll spare the longer version for the book, but I think my main thesis can neatly be told in the context of this thread. Mainly the point is: Let's use this opportunity to depart from previous assumptions about 'shows' and ratings. Let's give full scope to the phenomenon of Bob by testing conventions. They blew it with Katie, but this can work easily with Bob.  He doesn't have to 'die'. You don't have to go thru the pain of another 'ending'. Just trot him out at some random interval, much the way the most motivated and engaged rats get their morsel of reinforcement in traditional lab experiments -- unpredictably.  

Let him return for some UNDETERMINED number of episodes. Do NOT announce or even plan his last appearance. He says he's happy to do it? FINE, let him do it. Who wouldn't want to see him do it? He's got years of "rare" appearances left in him. Specials, fill-ins, cameos, RUN WITH IT!

Stop the sanctimony. He's never been about that – let’s USE that mischievousness. It's win win win.  The new guy/gal doesn’t get shown up because we're all real on the fact that nobody is Bob. We won't be comparing. It will be an easier, funner pill to take. Who needs to know EXACTLY what day grandpa is dying? Sure for SOME people it would make life more meaningful, but it SHOULDNT!

There does NOT need to be an official last day. “Oh look,  Bob Barker’s on again, great. Wonder if this is his last time?” What if it becomes campy? Kool. It’s ALREADY campy!  Let the OTHER guy do the "serious" show, which it must become because no one will do camp like Bob did, and that’s why we love him. Bob is a "joke" -- an piece of very predictable FUN, because it juxtaposes a very elegant, gracious, kindly, genial, gentlemanly demeanor, with an absurdly materialistic, banal, pedestrian, sheerly "common" exercise in the crassest consumerism.

This is why I can see how Goodson could have figured Dennis James would work out better: DJ had, what on the surface would have seemed a more common touch. More intense, more effusive, most SWEATY. But it's his ability to BUFFER our own feelings of identification with the contestant, to BALANCE them, to allow us to ELEVATE OURSELVES above the vulgar fray of these pricing games without feeling guilty about ENJOYING them, that allowed Barker to SUCCEED -- DEEPLY succeed.

Rich Fields by the way would be perfect in this connection. He’s a member of the family. He feels LEAST like some violation of what we – the insiders – ie Bob’s fans – already HAVE. That’s the thing about this show: it’s NOT about the show anymore. It IS about Bob Barker.  Rich has shown his stripes – total adulation of “Bob Barker.” Did you see  him kiss Bob during the last few moments? He is a "son" who has the elegance only somewhere in the DNA. But because he's a son, we allow HIM to be emotional -- after all, he's "one of us" – we NEED someone now who can at least embody the LOVE OF BOB, if not actually OCCUPY the BODY OF BOB. No other host can fall better into that category. No one can replace Bob. But having Rich Fields do it, means we don't HAVE to “replace” him!

Will Bob ever be a parody of himself in this way? Lose dignity? The guy who has beauties suing him AND named after him, who karate chops talk show host’s desks, and says Prizes on a movie screen?  Impossible.

Or as Nietzsche said: Laugh my friends! And don’t forget to dance!

Offline milepost72

• Outside in Line
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »
This may be a long shot but there is one name nobody so far has mentioned. He is very much a "people-person," a great personality. Very "down-to-Earth." He hosted the first few seasons of Wheel Of Fortune, Love Connection, and Scrabble. The man I am talking about is Chuck Woolery. He is one of few hosts that does not try to overshadow his contestants with his own presence when he hosts a game show. I don't understand why nobody has even mentioned him. Just imagine as the Clock Game turns back around on the turntable, Chuck looks at the camera and does his trademark gesture saying, "Showcase Showdown, right back at ya, two-and-two." Plus he can be considered a "veteran" game show host, though he is the youngest of them, he could be considered a familiar face to the game show viewer.