Author Topic: Are Season 52 Contestants "Better"  (Read 923 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Are Season 52 Contestants "Better"
« on: October 22, 2023, 11:11:40 AM »
Something I have been pleased by this year is a return to a more "normal" contestant pool - no more casting, back to interviewing the audience and finding fun people to be on the show. With this, I sense that overall gameplay has improved as you have more people on the show who know the show well. One indicator of this is bidding on the showcases. I had a sense that bidding on showcases has improved as more true fans are on the show. To test my theory, I looked at the first 20 shows for season 52 versus season 51, with a few alterations:

I looked at the absolute value of differences...overbids are included by their difference.
Week 4 of last year was Dream Car week, so I used week 5 of 2022 instead.

You can see the results in the file below (hopefully). Overall the mean difference is quite lower (4400 vs 7650) and you can see the overall variability is much lower for this year, save for 1 rogue 17k difference in week 1.

Is this evidence of overall better contestant quality? Perhaps..
Could it also be due to the many LFAT's in the audience over the first few weeks? That's possible too.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 01:22:02 PM by sideshowPA »
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Online C8

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Are Season 52 Contestants "Better"
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 11:42:28 AM »
 Absolutely. I am watching nearly daily now because of how much fun the show is this season. I’ve resisted the temptation to label this year as every bit as good as peak Barker, but man, it’s close. These contestants aren’t dumb trying to create their 10 second TikTok moment. They’re having fun and playing the game and a reinvigorated Drew is bringing out the best in them. I was expecting things to have dropped off by now if it was just an abundance of LFATs but that hasn’t happened so I’m optimistic. Clearly I don’t have the math to back me up but anecdotally I haven’t enjoyed the show this much in a long, long time.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Are Season 52 Contestants "Better"
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 08:09:32 AM »
The contestants seem more sane, that's for sure.  They have more of that just-plain-folks personality that we used to see on the show way-back-when.

I've also noticed that Drew's hosting is much better than it was -- he now seems genuinely happy to be there, and even builds up a little suspense during some of the games.