Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/15/2007 (Barker's Final Bow)  (Read 71650 times)

Offline SecretChip

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 3/26/24 C.N.A.O.S Member
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 06/15/2007 (Barker's Final Bow)
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2007, 02:46:26 AM »
Denise is from Machesney Park!  WIFR, our local CBS station has some vids on the homepage.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2007, 06:06:57 AM »
Fairly good send-off for Bob. My personal favourite touch was Any Number, the first pricing game Bob hosted, was also his last.

Offline dm

• Walking the Golden Road
    • My website
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2007, 07:15:42 AM »
Who was the very FIRST person called to Come on Down?
Sandy (actually, she was told to 'Stand up!')

And the last? Elijah

And if you believe in a higher power, in Christianity the Bible says that
Elijah is expected to arrive before the Second Coming of Jesus.

The playing of "Any Number" in the last position reminded me of Scripture, too... "the last shall be first, and the first last" which occurs in three of the four Gospels.

Offline noahproblem

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »
Three little quibbles about what was otherwise a fantastic send-off for Bob:

1) (the most obvious) No Bonus Game to go along with Double, Grocery and Any (yes I know Plinko all but had to be played on the final show, but couldn't they bend the "rules" this time and play 2 SP games so we could have all 4 active "First Five" games?)

2) I would've liked to have seen Bob mention the fact that Any Number was his first and last pricing game.

3) In the "Saint" showcase, shouldn't Bob have been mentioned as one? ;-)
So this is the "get off of my lawn" stage of my life.  I'm not impressed.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2007, 11:08:59 AM »
I'll first get out with the only thing about this episode that bothered me, and that was the fact that the lineup was not the six oldest pricing games still on the show in reverse order.  Don't see why Roger couldn't have done it.  It would have been so much better to see Bonus Game instead of Plinko.  I am glad that at least, aside from Plinko, every other pricing game was from season one; and if anything, that Any Number was played last.  It would not have been appropriate to play any other pricing game last.

The beginning of the intro with the camera on the TPIR sign at the back of the studio was pretty nifty.  Reminded me of the '86 specials.

Denise was awesome, and her Lucky $even win was just as awesome.  She truly deserved the win.

When was the last time Double Prices was played for a car?  I'm thinking the five thousandth episode, but I have no certanity on that.

I love how Roger loves to make Grocery Game hard, but today of all days, how could you not set it up easy?  Even if you just stuck the 55¢ cookies in the game, that would have at least helped.  That being said, Melba at least tried her hardest.

I'm glad the fear of an Any Number loss didn't keep Roger from playing it last.  Although 'tis a shame that it wasn't won.

Am I the only one who was even a little surprised the neither of the Showcase themes were about Bob even the least bit?  You would have thought today of all days, but apparantly not.

I guess this ends the rumours of everybody in the audience getting cars or there being a million dollar spin.  Thank God neither of those happened.

Well, it's been fun.  Hopefully, we'll be starting up again right away in the fall.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline dwp49423

• Outside in Line
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2007, 11:37:51 AM »
Played the evening tape back this morning.  Did not tape the morning one (forgot).

Can't believe the Barker era is finally over.  

I hope the show  continues-just the new host cannot overshadow Bob Barker.  Too many people are like "there were people hosting Wheel before Pat and Vanna" and "there was Jeopardy! before Alex Trebek".

Hosting TPIR is definitely a tough job.  I could handle the pricing game portion but probably would be silent while the wheel spins in the showdowns.

Offline Scott

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »
Lucky 7: The Dobster was generous here, and rightfully so, considering the circumstances of the show.  An "All Fives" special starts us off.

Plinko!: Well, this was a given.  Would've liked a better payout, but meh.

Rangey: FRBS ALERT!  Fransisco makes us 2 for 3 in the first half.

Showdown #1: One last $1,000 payout for Denise.

Double Prices: Pretty simple.

Grocery Game: EVIL!  If it weren't for the soap, she might've won this one.

IUFB #6: Phillip's 5-day wait finally pays off!

Any #: How appropriate that the first game played on Bob's first show would be the last game played in the Barker era.  (Assuming of course, they find a replacement in time for Season 36)  Too bad the result wasn't quite as rewarding as that first time.

Showdown #2: WHEELIE!

Showcase #1: Denise already scored a car earlier, so she respectfully passes.  Little did she know what awaited her.

Showcase #2: Well, Denise... looks like you may get a second car after all.  :)

Showcase Reveal: We have a new #2!  Denise falls within $7,000 of Vickyann's mark, set in the season opener.

And, thus, an era comes to an end.  Farewell, Bob.  We'll see ya down the road.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2007, 01:58:23 PM »

Nick wrote:
I love how Roger loves to make Grocery Game hard, but today of all days, how could you not set it up easy?  Even if you just stuck the 55¢ cookies in the game, that would have at least helped.  That being said, Melba at least tried her hardest.

Just guessing on the fact that we've never seen at least four of those before, I'm guessing some companies paid some good money to get their stuff on Bob's last show and Roger really didn't have a choice.  Of course, I could be WAY wrong, but I can't think of any other reason we didn't see the $1.09 sunflower seeds here.

Am I the only one who was even a little surprised the neither of the Showcase themes were about Bob even the least bit?  You would have thought today of all days, but apparantly not.

Word on the street (and by 'street', I mean 'Sally') is that this was originally planned and then nixed by Mr. Barker.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2007, 02:52:47 PM »
^ Also nixed was any reference to his final show by contestants, I've been told. That makes my comment in my original post null and void.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2007, 03:59:19 PM »

PriceFanArmadillo wrote:
Word on the street (and by 'street', I mean 'Sally') is that this was originally planned and then nixed by Mr. Barker.

I figured that's what must have happened, because I can't see Stan and Adam intentionally not planning and Bob-focused Showcase themes for his final episode.

heelsrule1988 wrote:
Also nixed was any reference to his final show by contestants, I've been told.

For the same reasons that would fall under the Showcase themes, that's understandable.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Ponch8

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2007, 04:31:09 PM »
Like others noted, I loved how the TV for the 1st IUFB showed the opening to the very first episode!  I disagree with people who didn't want to see Plinko.  It's the most exciting and popular game.  I just wish that Bob would have had to use his Plinko stick one last time.

Offline pohlmacs

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »

noahproblem wrote:
Three little quibbles about what was otherwise a fantastic send-off for Bob:

2) I would've liked to have seen Bob mention the fact that Any Number was his first and last pricing game.

3) In the "Saint" showcase, shouldn't Bob have been mentioned as one? ;-)

They told us in the audience that Bob wanted this to pretty much be just like any other show.  That being said, there were many gifts and nice touches (like his entry from the very first show), confetti, that made it very classy.  I think they realized that all the LFATs would immediately know that Any Number was his first and last game.

Word is that they wanted to have Bob "themed" final showcases.  Again, he did not want that.  I think just picking "Saint" was another subtle and classy sendoff for Bob.

Bob needs no special mentioning.  We know how special he is!

I wonder, does anyone have a recording of the *entire* first show?

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »
The end of a 35 year era.

What a show.

Lucky Seven:  When I saw 4567, I did not think the last number would be 5.  I was wrong.  I would have guessed zero for the last digit.

Plinko:  I guess it had to be played.  I wish Kristen had won more.  The SPs were a very easy setup.  

Range Game:  Francisco won the FRB.  

Double Prices:  When I saw the staging, I thought Double Prices might be played.  I saw the Chrysler 300 and thought maybe it is Double Prices, but why play Double Prices for such a fancy car?  Well it's Double Prices.  I said the top price.  The top price was begging to be picked.

Grocery Game:  I guess Roger had to be tough somewhere.  Those products looked hard.  I did even worse than Melva, 1 Snorestop, 4 Dove, $36.95 total.

Any Number:  The last episode ends with the first pricing game ever.  Unfortunately Phil didn't win.  When he said 3, I had a sinking feeling.

Showcases:  Since we did have some Bob themed showcases earlier in the season, I wasn't that disappointed that we didn't have one or two themed Bob showcases today.  When I heard the reasons why Bob didn't want Bob themed showcases today, I understood.  Denise makes a good haul with a nice bid.

I can't believe this is it.  A good show to end Bob's 35 year Price career.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2007, 05:42:56 PM »
Were contestants instructed to not make any references to this being Bob's final show, or was it just a coincidence that noone said anything?

How many cameras were there for the finale there on stage?

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2007, 06:45:08 PM »
Oh, I noticed that when rich gave bob a kiss on the cheek.  That was the icing on the cake for me, and bob blowing that kiss to the audience.  This show will never be the same without bob.