Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/10/2024 (TPiR at Night: Jackpot January - Week 2)  (Read 4630 times)

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/10/2024 (TPiR at Night: Jackpot January - Week 2)
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2024, 09:20:54 AM »
I did not like the Mega Piggy Bank at all.   The object of the game should not be to lose the game and win a prize much larger than that game's main prize.  Diane played it great and capped it with an amazing Showcase bid but I can't get behind such a departure for the very first pricing game.  This has to make Diane the largest winner in Any Number's 51+ year history correct?  And at $62K, I am guessing she is in the top 10 or top 15 of all time largest cash winners (behind the handful of Pay the Rent winners, the $200K winners in Cliff and Plinko, etc.).  Would much rather see bonuses for exceptional game play vs. poor game play.   For example, what they did incorporating a bonus for winning Range Game within $50 was cool because it rewarded exceptional play.   They could do the same and offer a cash award for perfect playing in One Away, Cover Up, Pathfinder, etc.  May not happen too often but a $25,000 cash bonus for playing certain games perfectly would be cool to see on The Price is Right at Night! 

Separately just have to say that playing Gridlock for the $70K+ Jaguar was a total flop.  Even if he won the car, it would not have made for enjoyable TV.  Would much rather have seen that car in games like Cover Up or Pathfinder.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2024, 10:56:48 AM »
I did not like the Mega Piggy Bank at all.   The object of the game should not be to lose the game and win a prize much larger than that game's main prize... Would much rather see bonuses for exceptional game play vs. poor game play.

Thank you, JT.  I wholeheartedly agree and am surprised others haven't expressed the same sentiments.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM »
I did not like the Mega Piggy Bank at all.   The object of the game should not be to lose the game and win a prize much larger than that game's main prize.  Diane played it great and capped it with an amazing Showcase bid but I can't get behind such a departure for the very first pricing game. 

For example, what they did incorporating a bonus for winning Range Game within $50 was cool because it rewarded exceptional play.   They could do the same and offer a cash award for perfect playing in One Away, Cover Up, Pathfinder, etc.  May not happen too often but a $25,000 cash bonus for playing certain games perfectly would be cool to see on The Price is Right at Night! 

You just said she played it great, which is what they rewarded her for. In the normal one away your aim is for good pricing skills of one item, here you have to be good at figuring out the car and the small prize to win the cash. Plus she was smart and knew it was not a zero for the car or the piggy at the end, so if anything she used a lot more skill than a normal playing and it paid off.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2024, 02:27:44 PM »
You just said she played it great, which is what they rewarded her for.

I would think he is saying "great" insofar as she managed to win the biggest prize for herself when winning the car should not have seemed more of a loss than winning the piggy bank.  It would have been horrible television for Drew to have been, "Congratulations, you won the car, but, oh, you could have won $62,700" when it has never, ever, ever been a better thing to win the Piggy Bank in Any Number.

In the normal one away your aim is for good pricing skills of one item, here you have to be good at figuring out the car and the small prize to win the cash.

While one might argue the added difficulty of figuring out the price of the car and the laptop to determine which numbers were in the Piggy Bank could justify a higher reward for doing so (when you make the Piggy Bank the most desirable prize), there's two problems: First, by design, the Piggy Bank is always the leftover digits after selecting the car and the three-digit prize.  While I am sure that in this setup they were carefully selective about which three digits made it into the Piggy Bank, at the end of the day, it's three digits placed in whatever order the producers felt would be the best that day, and it's an item simply impossible to price on its own.  This leads into problem number two: If you are playing to win the Piggy Bank, an item whose amount you have no information whatsoever to identify its prize in and of itself because it's just cash, you're playing a reverse version of the game (by trying to identify the car's and laptop's prices) and then actively trying not to complete those prices, which is simply not how Any Number has ever been played.

I know there are those who will try to argue it's a new spin on the oldest of games, that changing things up like this keeps it "fresh", "exciting", whatever adjective you want to choose, but it simply just doesn't work because you're completely breaking what's been done for 50-plus years and done that way with a purpose.  The car has always been the best reward because it's the one most difficult to price, with four digits to guess instead of just three.  Further, the board is structed in such a way that the best prize is at the top and the worst is at the bottom, and you can't get away from this visual representation even if you suddenly make the Piggy Bank worth thousands.

Because I can't just make an argument of saying, "It's been done the same way for 50-plus years, and that's why you can't change it" since that will never be accepted around here, let me explain what, I suppose, you could have done if you wanted to play Any Number for cash and not have it look as badly as this did.

Forget the car but keep the three-digit prize, and after the three-digit prize plug, reveal you have a chance to win a boatload of cash (however you want to phrase it).  Instead of the Piggy Bank being on the bottom line, move its graphic up to the top line, and for the bottom line, put in a tube of Aspercreme or whatever you want that's in dollars and cents.  At least then you've solidified that the Piggy Bank's cash is king in this playing, and you don't have two cash prizes by replacing the ordinary Piggy Bank with something else.  Most importantly, both the three-digit prize and the grocery item have prices.

So, you want to fill in the top line with the mystery money you can win.  I still hate how you're playing to identify something you can't price, but at least you can use the other two items' prices to help you with what not to pick and we're still going for the top line now.

Depending on how easy or difficult you want to make it, perhaps you don't give the first digit free in the jackpot but let the contestant know, "The first digit in the Piggy Bank appears twice, and when you call it for the first time, we'll light it up first in the Piggy Bank".  They have that "digits available" display at the top of the board now, so there's no excuse for not knowing which digits are still in play.  Alternatively, you could offer the contestant any free digit in the Piggy Bank or do something to emphasize the repeated digit will repeat once it's revealed the first time.  I think if you're playing for a pile of cash, it's OK to make it a bit more difficult; but don't confuse anybody with the repeated digit.

That, I think, would have been a far better way to approach this if they really felt they needed to play Any Number for cash (but it was the worst of the "mo' money syndrome" I've ever seen them do in the post-Barker era).  What they did didn't work because losing was winning, and that just made for a horrible presentation.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Tech_Triumph

• In the Audience
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2024, 04:12:21 PM »
I would have loved to have seen Any Number be declared a loss after winning the car.

Offline namnhu12

• 12/19/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2024, 06:19:41 PM »
And to the naysayers about Any Number.  It is only going to be done once and never again.  If anything, Diane played that very methodically. 
I got to live my lifelong dream on December 19, 2023.

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2024, 01:10:21 AM »
I was wondering if they would actually flash the amount in the Piggy Bank if it was won.  Curiosity satiated.  And that’s the first time I can recall seeing that amount flash since they retired the original Any Number board.

JBK
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 01:54:52 AM by kingpin623 »

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2024, 07:54:51 AM »
I would think he is saying "great" insofar as she managed to win the biggest prize for herself when winning the car should not have seemed more of a loss than winning the piggy bank.  It would have been horrible television for Drew to have been, "Congratulations, you won the car, but, oh, you could have won $62,700" when it has never, ever, ever been a better thing to win the Piggy Bank in Any Number.
Thanks Nick.  Yes given the adjustment to the rules, she adapted very quickly and methodically went for either the car or the piggy bank.   

Another downside of the Mega Piggy Bank is that it made a pretty decent laptop feel like a $29 toaster to viewers.

I've stated previously that Any Number would benefit from some sort of re-fresh but this gimmick is making the Founding Fathers of The Price is Right turn over in their respective graves.

Separately but related, does anyone have a tally of the top twenty cash winners across all daytime/nighttime/syndicated shows across the 51+ years?  Last week, I forgot about the 3 million dollar winners so those are the top 3 followed by the $200K winners in Plinko and Cliff Hangers and a 1x $200K winner in Pay the Rent during Big Money Week.  There have been a few $100K winners in Pay the Rent plus a few $100K winners in Grand Game and I recall a $75K winner in Rat Race.  Just curious where Diane's $62K Piggy Bank 'win' ranks.  Thank you!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2024, 06:09:31 PM »
TPIRSTATS pretty much has all the answers in terms of rankings & outcomes.  It's more complete & substantial from Season 29 to present time, but there are some stats that go back before that period.

Keep in mind that daytime contestant winnings & primetime contestant winnings are separate.  So the $200,000 Plinko outcome from about a half decade back is recognized as the biggest winner.  While this episode's Any Number outcome was pretty awesome, it's not factored into the most expensive car given away on the regular show.

I hardly think the average person cares that much about the most won in cash & prizes, but in case he or she did, primetime are daytime are pretty much separate when it comes to these outcomes.

As mentioned, it's a one time thing.  Maybe it happens again, but I think definitely not on the regular show (at least for 10,000 times the amount), but like a lot of things done that are in the category of over-the-top or just rare, I'm okay with it.  It's not common (like giving away a car during One Bid), so something out of the ordinary is fine here & there
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2024, 06:44:56 PM »
And to the naysayers about Any Number.  It is only going to be done once and never again.  If anything, Diane played that very methodically. 
Why are you so confident it won't come back?
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline namnhu12

• 12/19/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2024, 10:12:36 PM »
Simple, Wayoshi.  I asked that very question at the taping the next day.  It is a one and done.
I got to live my lifelong dream on December 19, 2023.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2024, 11:52:48 PM »
Just like Range's $50 bit was dead after 2015 or whatever, right?

I don't trust them for a second to uphold that.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2024, 01:45:44 PM »
Thanks Nick.  Yes given the adjustment to the rules, she adapted very quickly and methodically went for either the car or the piggy bank.   

Another downside of the Mega Piggy Bank is that it made a pretty decent laptop feel like a $29 toaster to viewers.

I've stated previously that Any Number would benefit from some sort of re-fresh but this gimmick is making the Founding Fathers of The Price is Right turn over in their respective graves.
Honestly, this gimmick feels like a reject from Season 37. Hopefully the producers aren't stupid enough to attempt this again. I can't believe I'm saying this, but they oughta be ashamed.

Just like Range's $50 bit was dead after 2015 or whatever, right?
2016, from what I could gather.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!