Author Topic: Rare game show pilot with TNPIR Davidson set called "Cash Tornado"  (Read 1647 times)

Offline tpir256

• Outside in Line
Besides the pilot on Wink Martindales channel are there more information on this extremely rare pilot?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 06:59:03 AM by tpir256 »

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Rare game show pilot with TNPIR Davidson set called "Cash Tornado"
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 11:25:31 AM »
Given that Wink posted that video nearly a decade ago I had trouble finding it.

Honestly what more information do you want? It was a pitch film for a show that never got picked up. The pitch film was clearly shot with an audience following a taping of TNPiR, tells you specifically what it was intended to do (drive up the sale of lottery tickets...which I admit is a bit odd) and how the game would be played. I think it was very comprehensive.

I watched the video and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It wasn't particularly original--it was Price in a slightly reskinned format, but it was a fun pilot.

The definite highlight was Roger Dobkowitz as the demo contestant. He sort of knocked the role out of the park and gave Jim a lot to work with in showing off his hosting skills for the format.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 11:34:59 AM by C8 »

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 11:41:06 AM »
It was a pitch film for a show that never got picked up. The pitch film was clearly shot with an audience following a taping of TNPiR, tells you specifically what it was intended to do (drive up the sale of lottery tickets...which I admit is a bit odd) and how the game would be played.

Not really that odd - NY State had a lottery show a number of years ago, where you could enter non-winning tickets from a particular scratch off game (which had to be mailed at that time), so that was doing the same thing (helping sales of that game, so people had the tickets to enter if they didn't win the first time on the ticket itself).

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin

Offline C8

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 12:23:49 PM »
Not really that odd - NY State had a lottery show a number of years ago, where you could enter non-winning tickets from a particular scratch off game (which had to be mailed at that time), so that was doing the same thing (helping sales of that game, so people had the tickets to enter if they didn't win the first time on the ticket itself).

Fascinating. Thanks for the insight!

Offline jimmyuTPIR

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 10:49:30 PM »
Illinois had a lottery game show for six years in the mid to late nineties.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 03:23:58 PM »

The NY one was 1997-98 & 98-99 seasons, and it sounds like some of the games were similar to the Illinois ones (with new themes, such as a horse race in Saratoga).

Offline Wally1912

• Outside in Line
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 04:42:58 PM »
The Massachusetts State Lottery ran their version of this Goodson production in the 90s as well and it was called Bonus Bonanza.

Here's a full episode from 1996:

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 08:40:01 PM »
I frequently tuned in to Powerball Instant Millionaire during its run. 

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 10:08:33 PM »
IIRC Illinois Instant Riches used as its theme music, the same music Goodson used for the TKO and Body Talk pilots c. 1989-1990.

Offline Sizeman

• Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 01:54:34 PM »
The definite highlight was Roger Dobkowitz as the demo contestant. He sort of knocked the role out of the park and gave Jim a lot to work with in showing off his hosting skills for the format.

Yes, very cool to see Roger "playing" the contestant role. He certainly has had his fair share of experience with tens of, if not hundreds of thousands of contestants by that point, and we really got to see just how much he enjoys the play aspect of a pilot. I can just imagine how he pitched his ideas for new games, plus any rough demonstrations of them before a set was built, such as 10 Chances.