Author Topic: Looking for 293N that my mom is on  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Cpaint1949

• Outside in Line
Looking for 293N that my mom is on
« on: January 19, 2024, 06:47:27 PM »
My mom was on 293N according to the paperwork she still has and I would love to find a copy for her as she hasn't gotten to see it since the first airing. Any help is appreciated!

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Looking for 293N that my mom is on
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 02:58:33 PM »
From what I know, the place to start is by emailing archive@fremantle.com.  It should help greatly that you have the episode number.  I've heard the process is pricey, but for Nighttime Price Is Right, it's pretty much the only way to go since it's never been rerun.

And if you do end up getting it, it would be great if you could share it with us.  Nighttime Price Is Right episodes should not be as rare to see as they are.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline furneralcar47

• 10/24/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • HELLO MAMA BEV!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 03:31:30 AM »
Hi Nick,

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost roughly? 

I ask because I have 2 shows from the 1970s that a friend of the family was on and I would love to order them as a gift for them

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 07:37:00 AM »
I have no idea, but I've heard it runs in the three figures.  If you can identify the episode, you might as well ask.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 06:37:07 PM »
I should also chime in and say you can call Fremantle at their Burbank offices to inquire. Their number is posted on their site.

Side note: You **must** be either the contestant or related to the contestant to get a copy of an episode. If you're not related to the contestant please don't harass the nice people at Fremantle to get old episodes of the show. I know that doesn't apply to the people in this conversation, but I know a lot of people read these threads regardless if it directly relates to them or not.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline alansh42

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 07:36:19 PM »
I imagine any such copies come with a "do not reproduce" condition, and if it shows up online right after someone gets a copy, they're going to know who leaked it.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 09:02:50 PM »
You **must** be either the contestant or related to the contestant to get a copy of an episode. If you're not related to the contestant please don't harass the nice people at Fremantle to get old episodes of the show. I know that doesn't apply to the people in this conversation, but I know a lot of people read these threads regardless if it directly relates to them or not.

I suppose it's their property and theirs to do with as they wish, but I fail to see why they wouldn't be interested in providing copies to anyone who is willing to pay the fee for the labour and materials.  They then get a digital copy to rerun as they wish at someone else's expense.

Really, Fremantle should be promoting the heck out of helping past contestants and friends and relatives of past contestants get copies of their episodes.  They can basically have others pay to digitize their library.  I don't see where this wouldn't be a good idea.

I imagine any such copies come with a "do not reproduce" condition, and if it shows up online right after someone gets a copy, they're going to know who leaked it.

They often have time codes burnt onto the tape, which I suppose makes them easily trackable (Plus, it's not as if many people would be asking for the same episode, so there's probably no mystery about who leaked what); but given how many of them have ended up on YouTube, it seems they don't care to police whether people are sharing them with wider audiences or not (and really, YouTube sharing is often the way to get it to fellow friends and family who are wanting to see the episode.  Further, there's no incentive for them to discourage sharing episodes on YouTube as Fremantle derives ad revenue from the content without any expense to them).  The only thing they seem to care about policing are episodes being run on the Pluto TV channel since, in theory, episodes available on demand on YouTube are episodes people aren't going to watch on Pluto TV (and the advertisements therein).
4. All prizes are good.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 12:58:46 AM »

My episode was pre-empted in my market due to breaking news. I called and asked for a copy, and after confirming I was on the episode, they agreed on the condition that I promised not to share it with others or upload it to the Internet and it was for personal home viewing only.

I suppose it's their property and theirs to do with as they wish, but I fail to see why they wouldn't be interested in providing copies to anyone who is willing to pay the fee for the labour and materials.  They then get a digital copy to rerun as they wish at someone else's expense.

Really, Fremantle should be promoting the heck out of helping past contestants and friends and relatives of past contestants get copies of their episodes.  They can basically have others pay to digitize their library.  I don't see where this wouldn't be a good idea.

Because folks like us could crowdfund a five-figure amount of money and request hundreds of episodes, and they'd have to seriously scale up the manpower working on it to fulfill those requests.

Which I would of course be fine with as a viewer, but I can see why they might not want to pull employees off of other duties or hire new employees to make digitizing their library a full-time job. Especially when the parent company wants to push people towards PlutoTV to fill that niche and they've already gone through a ton of effort to make that a thing.

(But if you're reading this, Fremantle, and you DO want to hire somebody...)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2024, 09:49:02 AM »
My episode was pre-empted in my market due to breaking news. I called and asked for a copy, and after confirming I was on the episode, they agreed on the condition that I promised not to share it with others or upload it to the Internet and it was for personal home viewing only.

Unless there's somewhere they're making that episode available (and if there was, why wouldn't they have just told you to watch there?), they shouldn't object to you posting it on YouTube where they can monetize upon it.  You're making them money.  Why would they be offended by that?  Where would be the benefit to Fremantle in further suppressing the sharing of the episode?  I understand we're not talking huge figures of money and huge impact here, but if they're doing nothing else with it, why object to something that can earn them some cash?

Because folks like us could crowdfund a five-figure amount of money and request hundreds of episodes, and they'd have to seriously scale up the manpower working on it to fulfill those requests.

Much as I want to see the entire Barker era of The Price Is Right and the '70s and '80s syndicated versions, there's really only a few shows I'd consider ponying up cash to see.  I highly doubt any attempted crowdfunding effort would ever see that much money collected, but even if Fremantle was able to be swamped by a crowdfunding effort to request the digitization of dozens of episodes, nobody said they had to move quickly on it.

I can see why they might not want to pull employees off of other duties or hire new employees to make digitizing their library a full-time job. Especially when the parent company wants to push people towards PlutoTV to fill that niche and they've already gone through a ton of effort to make that a thing.

For pushing towards Pluto TV, yes, Fremantle is probably not interested in releasing copies of that which they intend to run on the streaming platform, but considering how lethargic they have been at adding new episodes, one wonders if they've arrived at a point of, "That's good enough.  We have enough rotation" and we won't be seeing the rest of the Barker era on the channel.

More to the point, it's the pre-season 11 episodes, which they have expressly indicated they are not running (outside of a few season 1 episodes), that Fremantle should not object to releasing to paying customers, the '70s syndicated version even more so.  The tapes will not last forever and will either have to be digitized at some point if they are interested in preserving the episodes.  The fact that there are fans willing to pay for the work on their behalf so that it is done at no cost to them and enabling them to then monetize on it is something they should not ignore.

One might say, "Perhaps they aren't charging the full cost and it does cost them something to do this", and that could be true, and if it is, I would say charge full cost.  People will pay to see the episodes their friends and family appeared on, maybe with several people chipping in what they can to cover the cost; and if a loyal friend and true wants to pay whatever exorbitant price they would charge so we could finally see the Showcase tie from #008N (as an example), then they should be willing to accept such a request because in addition to whatever monetization they could make on a YouTube video, they also build rapport with the fanbase, who remain loyal consumers of your product for years to come.  It's building goodwill, and that can be worth a lot on and off the balance sheet.

Of course, Fremantle could always throw a bone to the fanbase and share the highly-requested clips themselves.  Again, it's building goodwill in addition to a pile of pennies from the YouTube clicks.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2024, 10:38:19 AM »
Unless there's somewhere they're making that episode available (and if there was, why wouldn't they have just told you to watch there?), they shouldn't object to you posting it on YouTube where they can monetize upon it.

They've asked me not to. They've treated me well. I'm interested in maintaining a good future relationship with them and I think that's a reasonable request to honor. Simple as.

I highly doubt any attempted crowdfunding effort would ever see that much money collected, but even if Fremantle was able to be swamped by a crowdfunding effort to request the digitization of dozens of episodes, nobody said they had to move quickly on it.

The Plinko sign went for over $20K at auction. A backstage tour at TVC went for over $20K at auction.

I'd love to see it happen, but I can also understand them being wary about opening those gates.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 11:09:43 AM »
They've asked me not to. They've treated me well. I'm interested in maintaining a good future relationship with them and I think that's a reasonable request to honor. Simple as.

I never suggested you not honour their request.  I was suggesting their request is asinine.

The Plinko sign went for over $20K at auction. A backstage tour at TVC went for over $20K at auction.

I'd love to see it happen, but I can also understand them being wary about opening those gates.

Auctions are a different beast, especially when unique items are involved.  I think it would be unreasonable to think people would ante up thousands of dollars for a large quantity of episode copies.
4. All prizes are good.

Offline Cpaint1949

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 07:16:08 PM »
From what I know, the place to start is by emailing archive@fremantle.com.  It should help greatly that you have the episode number.  I've heard the process is pricey, but for Nighttime Price Is Right, it's pretty much the only way to go since it's never been rerun.

And if you do end up getting it, it would be great if you could share it with us.  Nighttime Price Is Right episodes should not be as rare to see as they are.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will reach out to them to see if they can help! Sorry for the delay in responding, I was expecting to get an email that I got a response but I did not. Thanks again!