Author Topic: Recap: March 27, 1985 (Episode 5663D)  (Read 157 times)

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Recap: March 27, 1985 (Episode 5663D)
« on: February 03, 2024, 06:27:36 PM »
Note i did these first two recaps in the order I did not just because of airing order, but this was the episode the winner of Bonus Game from the March 19th show got to come back to model alongside the usual Barker's Beauties for a day.

Also, some last names are guesses due to me not hearing them clearly and the spelling of those I did hear not being known due to lack of closed captioning on an Internet Archive upload of a TBE episode.

Opening Phrase: FANTASTIC PRIZES
First 4: Denise Flipman, James Beardman, Rishelle Rhodes, Yvonne (couldn't catch last name)
Mic hand-off: Janice

IUFB1: Trip to Vegas (round trip special coach on western airlines, 6 nights modified American plan at Tropicana) (Susan Echols, from 3/19's playing of Bonus Game, modeled while Holly drove the tugboat)

BIDS: $730 $800 $500 $805
ARP:$736 - Denise wins

Pricing Game 1: Barker's Bargain Bar for 2 Midge swivel chairs (modeled by Janice) and a Broyhill rolltop desk & chair (Dian)
The bargain prices are $800 for the chairs and $760 for the rolltop desk
Denise chooses the DESK
the ACTUAL prices are .... $1600 for the chairs (for a $800 difference) and $1260 for the desk ($500 difference)

Just like the playing I recapped from March 19, this is also a LOSS

Next to be called down is THOMAS ESPOSITO who, despite not being related to Canadian ice hockey player Phil Esposito (googling that was how i got Thomas's last name spelt), DOES run a GOGO BAR...and yes, he interviews/hires the dancers.  I can picture the few people who liked Shatner's Show Me The Money salivating now upon hearing the words "gogo" and "dancers" in the same statement.

As for Thomas and the others, the next IUFB is a new dinette set from Bozof (Brass plated, 3 amber glass inserts, 3 chairs with honeycomb finish back & upholstered solid foam seats) (Holly)

bids (starting with RED): $875 $650 $700 $750

BZZ BZZ BZZ BZZ  Time for a redo, as everyone was over: $425 $400 $500 $480

With an ARP of $599, Rishelle wins her way on stage and gets to play DELUXE Dice Game for a 5-digit NEW CAR!
The Dodge Lancer, with 6 seats, outside dual power mirrors, rear defroster, tinted glass, road wheels, speed control, power door lock, floor mats, deluxe windshield wipers, AC, and as always.... CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS (Susan)

Side note, i oughta google that term (California Emissions) one day.  In the meantime, the first digit in this car is a 1 (as we're just breaking the 10k threshold at this point for the prices of some cars)

With the roll of a 4 (which isn't the 2nd digit), Rishelle goes LOWER
Next up, a 5 (BZZ) and another call of LOWER
3rd die is ....a 1! Despite not being the actual tens digit, as per the rules of no 0s/7s/8s/9s... we know it's HIGHER
Finally, we roll a 2 which (surprise surprise) isn't the last number...but the logical HIGHER choice was made

The car's price, revealed in typical Dice Game fashion of one digit at a time is...

$12,156, meaning WE GOT A WINNER!

Johnny's next calldown is to Sondra Larson... and i'm not gonna make that obvious joke. Besides, he's not even the biggest winner during regular play on PYL now thanks to the A-Bomb of Add-a-Ones.

IUFB3: Wardrobe of Watches (Helbros) (3 men, 3 women) (Holly)
Bids, with Sondra starting:
$425, $850, $525, $550
ARP: $495 (Thomas wins)

Our gogo bar owner, now on stage, has a chance to Pick a Pair for some kitchen appliances from Whirlpool (all modeled by Dian)
Fridge: oak frost french door, power saving switch, porcalin steel interior, no fingerprint textured steel doors
Dishwasher: durafirm door, super scower cycle, in-the-door silverware basket
Electric Range: lift up grill top, digital meal timer clock, black glass panoramic oven door
Total prize value: $2,190

Bob gets toungetied trying to explain Pick a Pair as well as tossing to Johnny O. for the grocery item plugs, which are:
Lemon Wizard freshner
Betty Crocker Care Bears cake decoration
Niagara Starch
Orowheet cornbread dressing
Hershey's Instant chocolate milk
Sue Bee honey

As the Carousel does its thing, Thomas picks the dressing ($1.39), followed by the drink mix ($1.69)

BZZ Well, those don't match, but we do get to keep one of the two items.  Choosing to keep the $1.69 drink mix, he picks the starch in hopes of a match. But alas, it was only $1.25 for a LOSS

While the other items go unrevealed besides the dressing, the drink mix, the starch, and the other $1.69 item - the branded cake decoration.

3 games played, but only one was won
If this was early 1975, Rishelle would have top spot locked, but we've had this wheel for around a decade now for the sake of the SHOWCASE SHOWDOWN.

Spin order:Thomas/Denise/Rishelle
Thomas: .20 + .90 (OVER)
Denise: .80 (STAY)
Rishelle: .90 (STAY AND SC BOUND)

Given what happened with that preceding SCSD, we won't have any confusion now with THOMAS KITCHENS being called next to COME ON DOWN so he can start the bidding on some golf clubs from Foxbat (modeled by Susan)
$500 $725 $750 $800
ARP of the golf clubs:$1,085 (Yvonne wins)

And lucky for Yvonne, we're walking down a path.  Unluckily, that Road isn't Golden, but rather the Walk of Fame for these 4 prizes:

Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker (Dian)
Lowrey Micro-Genie Electronic Keyboard (Holly)
Automatic autum flower bunk bead (Janice)
Sunvalley by Coleman travel trailer (19 ft, 3burner range, dinette, sleep 6, towable by most medium sized cars) (also Janice)

We start with the coffee maker, a range of $25 (High or Low) and a guess of $50
And its price is? $56, enabling Yvonne to "walk" towards the electric keyboard.
With a $250 range now in effect, she guesses $400.  However, we maxed out on the three-digit item with a price of $999.

While 999 would be a good price for Poker Game, we are outside the range with a $599 difference.

In comes the autograph books, in Red and Yellow, letting the PYL jokes write themselves in my head.

One of these has Second Chance written in it, letting us move to the next prize.  However, the Red one that was chosen was the OTHER one.

LOSS

We have another name: and HER NAME IS JANE CENA MARY LYNCH
Mary goes first: $575 $500 $452 $451

BZZ BZZ BZZ BZZ Once more, everyone's OVER.  With these bids erased, take two of this round is $395 $350 $400 $389

With the ARP revealed to be $390, Mary (with a ONE DOLLAR difference) gets to play the other game in this episode to be played... FOR A NEW CAR!

Specifically, the Pontiac 1000 3-door hatchback with reclining front bucket seats, carpeting ,cali emissions, tinted glass, trim group,  LA defrost mirrors, aluminum wheels, white side wall steel tires, AM/FM stereo radio system, luggage rack,and automatic transmission. (Holly)

While the car's price is *NOT* $8,215, the numbers are One Away
With that in mind, Mary guesses $7,306
Gentlemen, how many out of the 4 digits does she have right? HONK HONK

2 right, but we need to change 2.
With that in mind, she makes her new guess $9,326

As the crowd groans on that decision to change the 7 to a 9, we find out right away that Mary LOST the game with said change. (ARP: $7,126)

Before I say the last person to Come on Down this show, i must warn James that he's one bid away from blowing it all 6 times in Contestants' Row... and that rascally Whammy is lurking, somehow not busy with Peter and Rod

In the meantime, let's call ANITA TURNER to Come On Down
Anita starts the last One Bid round bidding on a gas grill from Hardwick Stove Company (Susan)
Bids: $250 $400c $451 $450
ARP IS....$457. MEANING SONDRA WINS.
But that also means that in the only two recaps i've done, both had a 6-time One Bid loser (in this case:James.

Our final game?  the Shell Game, for a living room group and a color tv
Mersman-Waldron's Accord Collection (Dian)
GE 19 inch color tv( Janice)
prize total: $2,479

In order to win, we need chips to place in front of these shells.... and to do that, we must call High or Low from a fake price.
Our first of 4 such items?  a Bissille carpet machine+ with a fake price of $35.  We go LOWER when we should have gone HIGHER with an actual price of $190 (No Chip)

Next up: Superseal Food Containers, starting off with a fake of $35.  With a CORRECT guess of LOWER (Chip placed in front of shell 2, going from left to right)

To "even" up the odds with a 2nd chip, we have Mother Goose shoes for babies with a fake price of $12
Surely it can't be one digit, right?  Sondra agrees and CORRECTLY guesses HIGHER, winning a $19 pair of shoes i'm sure no one in her family can use.
However, she CAN place another chip (this time, in front of shell 1)

What's better than 50:50?  Phone a Googler 75:25
For that to happen, we need to get this item...a Fabreware rotisserie "valued" at $65
 Guessing Higher, she's RIGHT (with the rotisserie being $90

With that, we have chips in all but the last shell... 3 out of 4 says she wins

SHELL 1: NO BALL
SHELL 2: IT'S GOT THE BALL! WINNER

Today in the Bill Rafferty tribute trip to the Land of Parting Gifts, we have a Harvest Savor dehydrator, some max strength Cortizone 5, and a Hitachi am/fm cassette recorder.

And now, SCSD #2, with Mary spinning first and Sondra getting that advantageous last position.

Mary: .10 + .15 (a quarter is NOT a good score in any showdown, especially in the first spot)
Yvonne: .10 + .95 (oof, one of only two possible spaces to result in OVERage)
Sondra: .35 (staying and SC Bound, but not by much)

SHOWCASES
Sondra/Rishelle

Rishelle gets the option to bid or pass.

SC1: Green wth Envy
Diamond & emerald ring - 14k yellow gold band, .92k emerald, 16 .86 round diamonds ,8 1.5k diamond baguettes (no model)
Gown from Giorgio
-A Deep forest green satin with sequin top portion (Dian wears it)
Trip to Ireland - La to NY roudntrip special coach, then to Ireland via Aer Lingus, 6 nights @ Westbury Dublin (Holly)

And this showcase, where going over will make you as green as Lou Ferrigno, can be YOURS, if The Price is Right

Rishelle decides to PASS TO Sondra, who bids $5,928

SC2:Satisfying our natures
GA Systems home soda fountain (Janice)
Atilla the Hun Pinball machine (Holly)
Murry & Sons billiards table - 3.5x7 ft,  (Janice)
sand toys co. dune buggy - 1600cc dual port motor, sports driving lights, buggy length antenna and light, chrome exaust, smoke wheels, and bright blue paint

And this showcase where we can hopefully satisfy our winning nature, can be Rishelle's... if The Price is Right!

RISHELLE'S BID:12250

RESULTS:
SC1 (Sondra)- $11,953 ($6,025 difference)
SC2 (Rishelle)- $15,541 ($3,291 difference) - WINNER

Rishelle's total: $28,296

Some stats: 2 Wins, episode winnings of $34,128, & Rishelle is top winner of the episode
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 06:35:44 PM by GRWHAMMY the 2nd »