Author Topic: Atari Game Show  (Read 541 times)

Offline Pricefan1989

• Outside in Line
  • Come On Down! Your The Next Contestant On TPIR!
Atari Game Show
« on: February 11, 2024, 11:06:42 PM »
I can't post the actual link for some reason. So I will just post the gamestop artical.

Atari is branching out into television with a new celebrity game show, appropriately titled The Great Atari Celebrity Showdown. The series, according to a release, "celebrates the history of gaming, the culture of entertainment, and the joy of competing like we're kids."

Deadline further reports that the show has enlisted executive producers Jay Blumenfield and Tony Marsh, known for their work on The Chelsea Handler Show, Here Come the Newlyweds, and Gigolos. "We're excited to partner with Atari to bring you the ultimate celebrity game show, filled with drama, comedy, and nostalgia," Blumenfield said. Marsh echoed the sentiment, highlighting the opportunity for celebrities to have fun and connect with audiences.

Details are still sparse on what the show exactly is, aside from apparently some way of exploring the brand's history--with celebrities, in a game show. The 2021 Peacock series Frogger, a competition series based on the Konami arcade game, may offer some sense of what could be in store.

Founded in 1972, Atari revolutionized arcade gaming with iconic titles like Asteroids, Pong, and RollerCoaster Tycoon, boasting a portfolio of over 200 titles. Last month, Atari unveiled plans for a docuseries titled Game Changers: The Story of Atari, reflecting on its 50-year history and "anticipated future."

In 2022 Atari released Atari 50: The Anniversary Celebration, a video game compilation and interactive documentary chronicling its history. Developed by Digital Eclipse, Atari 50 features interviews with former Atari employees, archival footage, and newly created games inspired by classics.

I have no clue how I feel about this. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Re: Atari Game Show
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 11:25:55 PM »
This is the article you were talking about:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/atari-goes-hollywood-with-the-great-atari-celebrity-showdown/1100-6520968

Of the major game companies, Atari is the one I'm the least likely to trust to succeed at it. Maybe they'll surprise me.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 05:46:57 PM »
So we now have two unlikely contenders trying to try their luck in game shows; Chuck E. Cheese's and now Atari.

Maybe they'll surprise me.

Perhaps they will surprise both of us, only time will tell.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 06:02:43 PM »
So, Nolan Bushnell's got TWO reasons to possibly be embarrassed by brands he created?

(edited to clarify that he was responsible for both the original Chuck E Cheese/Pizza Time Theater idea as well as founding Atari)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 06:11:58 PM by GRWHAMMY the 2nd »

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 07:17:16 PM »
Sounds very interesting.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."