Author Topic: Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit reboots in the works  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit reboots in the works
« on: February 15, 2024, 12:09:01 AM »
They would air on CW. LeVar Burton is tapped to host Trivial Pursuit. More details about it here.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit reboots in the works
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 10:26:43 AM »
i'm sure i'm not alone in asking this, but please let the Scrabble format be the Chuck Woolery 80s one

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 02:28:51 PM »
i'm sure i'm not alone in asking this, but please let the Scrabble format be the Chuck Woolery 80s one

Yes, you're not alone.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 02:47:11 PM »

Hope you're correct ... but somehow, I think they'll think of some "neat," "nifty" format, just for the 2020s young generation that's sure to be the greatest thing since sliced bread! And that the heads of thinking will surely think the 1980s format is too cliched and way too hard to follow, based on "test playings" (that never existed or were even attempted).

Sorry for the rant, but I just see a train wreck of a format coming.

Brian

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 06:06:22 PM »
Where is the crystal ball store? Good heavens, nothing at all has been shared yet.

And beyond that, there’s more than one way to adapt a game that doesn’t lend itself to a direct adaptation.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 07:50:29 PM »
Odd that LeVar Burton would host another game show after his experience with Jeopardy!.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 08:04:17 PM »
I don't see a major issue with Burton hosting another game show after the mess on Jeopardy during the 2020-2021 season.

However, it appears that LeVar hosting here is not really confirmed or validated right now anyway
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 08:40:42 PM »
And beyond that, there’s more than one way to adapt a game that doesn’t lend itself to a direct adaptation.

Nobody here said that the 1980s Scrabble is the only way to adapt a 2020s revival. Reading comprehension is key.

That's just our preferred format.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 08:54:07 PM »
As opposed to envisioning a train wreck when nothing has even happened? 🙄🙄🙄

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 09:28:18 AM »
NextTV (a TV website) says Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit will be tailored for family viewing. It also said that Scrabble's format (unspecified at this point) will involve playing for points en route to whatever grand prize is up for grabs.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 01:57:30 PM »
I am surprised they are trying Trivial Pursuit that show seems not to last too long.

I hope they use the Chuck Woorley format and not the Scrabble Showdown format.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2024, 06:45:19 PM »
Are these presumably for primetime since the CW doesn’t program daytime anymore?

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 11:31:44 AM »
Yes. Premiere dates have yet to be announced.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2024, 02:19:41 PM »
The Woolery version couldn't have been timed better. Game shows in daytime were starting to pick back up again in 1984 following the success of Press Your Luck, The New $25,000 Pyramid, and sister show Sale of the Century after a few lean years, with even the show it ultimately replaced, Dream House, not doing too badly considering it replaced a 13-week flop. The technology at the time was cutting edge, capped by the million-dollar rotating cube that was the centerpiece of the set, in addition to being one of the first game shows to use chyron graphics. It sustained itself being one of the top three game shows for most of its run, thanks to its high clearance rate and competing well against The Price Is Right, usually its stronger second half.

Scrabble Showdown's climax had some elements of the Woolery runs and it actually had some gameplay that was more true to the board game, but it struggled to find much of an audience on The Hub (now Discovery Kids) in an atmosphere full of much more choices compared to its original run when many households still didn't have cable.

Trivial Pursuit launched ironically around the time the 1993 revival of Scrabble was cancelled, and while the interactive game was a novelty, it was too much promotion and while the main game was decent with the categories taken directly from the board game, the unfavorable timeslot for new episodes on a network that wasn't as established for being a game show channel like even USA was at the time meant that it wouldn't have that long of a run, just 130 episodes with three cycles of reruns, about a tenth of the output that Scrabble received.

Best of luck for these revivals, along with the hope that this could eventually lead for BUZZR to potentially pick up their classic runs in the future.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/