Author Topic: 2024 NFL Season  (Read 421 times)

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
2024 NFL Season
« on: March 11, 2024, 07:49:18 PM »
Normally around this time I would have started the NFL Off-Season Thread, which features Free Agency, the NFL Draft, and even the Schedule Release.  Not so much the Combine or Training Camp; respectively I don't get things going that early, and by the summer, I've already started the section that discusses the upcoming season.

I figured that it would make sense to have everything in a single thread this year, as all the talking points would be related to the upcoming Season (which gets going on September 5 at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri; concluding 4 months later on January 5, 2025, which is 5 weeks before Super Bowl LIX).

Before getting into the Free Agent action, which isn't super official until Wednesday, a couple of people calling it quits include Eagles Jason Kelce & Fletcher Cox, Patriots' Matthew Slater, & Ryan Jensen who spent the latter half of his career in Tampa.  That's about six titles (the most prestigious one) being represented there.  No rings for Teddy Bridgewater, but he made it into a sport most people don't get to or last long at.

So far the top stories include, but are not limited to:
Baker Mayfield getting paid in Tampa Bay
Chris Jones really getting paid in Kansas City
Russell Wilson getting paid by Denver while playing for Pittsburgh
Saquon Barkley staying in the NFC East (with Philadelphia)
Pete Carroll staying with Seattle, while someone else coaches the team
Kirk Cousins heading to Atlanta
Bill Belichick calling it quits not coaching anywhere

Nothing’s super official until March 13; there is a legal tampering period ahead of that (which began earlier during the day of this post).  The NFL Draft is scheduled for April 25 and will last until April 27.  May 9 could be the schedule release.  Other than that, really everything stays the same in terms of the date NFL events occur; just subtract two from the previous year’s date, or add 29 or 30.  I think I got the math right!

I guess I should mention that there are no NFL games on Christmas this year.  Probably the last time the holiday is professional football free until the end of the decade.

"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: 2024 NFL Season
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 12:57:35 AM »
In Atlanta, some are saying getting Kirk Cousins increases our chances of getting into post-season play (turning 36 in August, he still has some left in the tank) while others are saying coming off an Achilles tear and given the Falcons' porous o-line it's a disaster in the making. Cousins will have plenty of weapons to throw to if he can keep his backside off the turf. We'll see how they draft at the end of April.

This happening yesterday: Falcons trade QB Desmond Ridder to Arizona for WR Rondale Moore. Ridder crashed and burned after high expectations of him.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 06:12:11 AM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 07:42:26 PM »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 07:12:17 PM »
Well, it's Draft Day 2024.  USC Heisman winner Caleb Williams is expected to be selected before anybody else.  After that, it's not super-certain, including the QB spot.  However, several people, including Lance Zierlein and Peter Schrager are tabbing the other Heisman winner over these past two years (LSU Jayden Daniels) to go to Washington as the second person (and second QB) selected. 

Should the possibility of Chicago actually turning into a 2024 Super Bowl contender play out, just a reminder that they had the rights for what would've been Carolina's pick if no move was made in the past.  Chicago wasn't great in 2023, but they were much better than Carolina, who they beat.

Not that I'm calling JJ from Michigan a bust, but I do not want to see him picked in the Top 5, especially not in the Top 3.  He does have a chance to prove the doubters wrong, but I think, as mentioned, a Minnesota landing spot is great.  Maye, Nix, and maybe Penix selected in advance would be great for the league

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 09:39:29 PM »
Atlanta takes Penix as overall no. 8 in spite of them acquiring Kirk Cousins in the offseason. Somebody's gonna wear out a lot of pine on the sidelines.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 02:05:35 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2024, 07:31:33 PM »
The first Wheel of Fortune host to announce a pick?
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker