Author Topic: New CBS soap opera in "accelerated development"  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
New CBS soap opera in "accelerated development"
« on: March 16, 2024, 02:10:09 PM »
The Gates, as it's titled, about an affluent African-American family, is certainly a shoo-in on CBS's daytime roster sometime in the near future. It's speculated that The Talk will get the axe to make room for it. Thoughts?
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: New CBS soap opera in "accelerated development"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 02:55:31 PM »
So long as it doesn’t affect The Price Is Right, I don’t care for it either way.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 06:23:14 PM »
A new daytime TV soap opera? I didn’t know that model was even profitable anymore. I don’t see this lasting very long.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 01:51:52 PM »
It may not last long. But the CBS/NAACP partnership announced to considerable attention a few years ago has yielded nothing thus far. The pressure is on to show something can get done.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 06:52:36 AM »
The partnership did introduce requirements for BIPOC representation across CBS reality contestants, scripted shows, and writers rooms. More here.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 09:03:00 AM »
So long as it doesn’t affect The Price Is Right, I don’t care for it either way.

I'd imagine Let's Make A Deal would be sacked first. After all, the last time a soap featuring a predominantly African-American cast was the one that replaced $ale of the Century. That was Generations, which didn't even last for two years. Then again, with NBC opening up its former slot of Days of our Lives to another talk show, there's definitely a bit of an oversaturation of them. Still, this would be the first new network soap to premiere in 25 years since Passions replaced Another World.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 02:16:51 PM »
The demand for soap operas isn't as high outside Young & the Restless and General Hospital. I say this as a big Guiding Light fan. There, however, is nothing wrong with trying. CBS has had some real clunkers in recent years.

That said, there is zero chance in hell The Price is Right or Let's Make a Deal would be axed for this. Price is their daytime cash cow. While I'm not the biggest fan of the production of the current version of Deal, I don't see that going away either.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 05:24:34 PM »
I'd imagine Let's Make A Deal would be sacked first. After all, the last time a soap featuring a predominantly African-American cast was the one that replaced $ale of the Century. That was Generations, which didn't even last for two years. Then again, with NBC opening up its former slot of Days of our Lives to another talk show, there's definitely a bit of an oversaturation of them. Still, this would be the first new network soap to premiere in 25 years since Passions replaced Another World.

What NBC did in 1989 is completely irrelevant.

Lets Make a Deal fills a good flex role for CBS. Soaps at 10 am don't work in the east = dead show walking. And CBS isn't getting 3 pm back from the groups that air Deal in the morning. It doesn't matter that they'd be swapping an hour; 3 pm is too valuable.  I have a better chance of winning the Mr. Universe contest. The other option of moving The Talk to the flex option and putting the Gates at 2 is similarly not viable.

If this show makes it to air, the most plausible option is in place of The Talk.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 11:53:25 PM »
In total households ratings-wise, The Talk is tied for last with NBC News Daily, so The Talk is definitely vulnerable.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2024, 01:39:37 PM »
figured i'd put this here, considering the original post speculated this was a possible way to get this new soap opera on air...

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/the-talk-canceled-cbs-final-season-15-december-1235969169/

Offline C8

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 01:43:52 PM »
by returning daytime talk to CBS with a refreshing and award-winning format

Funny way to say "The View" rip-off. But that's why I'm not a press writer.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 02:44:24 PM »
tbh, i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did in the post Julie Chen era

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2024, 02:54:26 PM »
tbh, i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did in the post Julie Chen era

I was certain that it would get a max of two seasons.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 10:51:33 PM »
I used to watch The Talk here and there when Julie, Aisha ,Sharon was on the panel. i was also surprised it lasted as long after Julie Chen left. I watched an episode from the current season and its just corny and Jerry O'Connell is too over the top.

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2024, 03:07:56 PM »
The Gates is officially confirmed and slated for a January 2025 premiere date, though its timeslot and launch date will be announced in the future.
https://deadline.com/2024/04/cbs-orders-the-gates-to-series-daytime-soap-premiering-january-2025-1235886082/