Author Topic: Jeopardy! 60th Diamond Celebration  (Read 661 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Jeopardy! 60th Diamond Celebration
« on: March 18, 2024, 10:32:04 AM »
Next Saturday, March 30 marks 60 years ago that Jeopardy! first premiered on NBC at 11:30 AM Eastern. Sony Pictures is launching a rest-of-the-year-long celebration, designating March 30 as "Jeopar-Day" along with an new initiative to recruit contestants.

More details about it here.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Jeopardy! 60th Diamond Celebration
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2024, 11:21:36 AM »
"Jeopar-day" has been a thing for at least a few years now, marked with things like the official YT channel having Trebek's first aired show up one year and the Fleming pilot that got the original show on air being there another year (both for a limited time)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2024, 01:59:49 PM »
Ah...it's the first I'd heard of such. I'd seen the Fleming pilot on YT, but back on 3/30/64 I was lucky enough (if you could call it that) to see the debut show as I was kept home from school (was 7 at the time) with a case of pink eye.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 02:50:36 PM »
Next Saturday, March 30 marks 60 years ago that Jeopardy! first premiered on NBC at 11:30 AM Eastern. Sony Pictures is launching a rest-of-the-year-long celebration, designating March 30 as "Jeopar-Day" along with an new initiative to recruit contestants.

More details about it here.

That was something special, IMO, that first broadcast on NBC from New York in the 60s starting something that has stood the test of time over a very long time, and will for time immemorial.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2024, 09:38:01 PM »
What does the availability status look like for each run of the show at the moment?  I'm assuming most of the early network airings have been erased over the years, while the current long-running version is likely mostly intact; how about everything in between? 

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 03:13:56 AM »
A couple of shows from 1973 or 1974 I believe are out there, as is definitely NBC show no. 2000 (with Mel Brooks guest-starring as his 2000-Year-Old Man character) and the 1/3/75 finale. An episode from the syndicated nighttime show (1974-75) is out and about as well.  The 1978-79 series may have an ep or two out there.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2024, 12:50:59 PM »
A couple of shows from 1973 or 1974 I believe are out there, as is definitely NBC show no. 2000 (with Mel Brooks guest-starring as his 2000-Year-Old Man character) and the 1/3/75 finale. An episode from the syndicated nighttime show (1974-75) is out and about as well.  The 1978-79 series may have an ep or two out there.

There are at least five episodes of the late '70s version out on the trading circuit, including the premiere, second episode, 11/13/78, 1/16/79, and the finale. There was a Tournament of Champions despite the short run, and a partial episode from that also circulates. However, this run is seen as the "red-headed stepchild" of the franchise due to the highly disliked elimination format. Our best hope for finding episodes at this point from the original run is via audiorecordings, and even that is where a bunch of episodes from the first season of the current run are sourced from in the J! Archive. The 5/2/68 episode circulates from an audiorecording. A tape trader recently found an episode not listed there from December 1984 from an original broadcast, and the J! Archive is around 80% complete for the first decade or so of the show, so much of the Trebek run remains quite intact, but tape trading would be a big assistance, especially for episodes prior to the mid-2000s which aren't regularly shown on Pluto.

A neat idea for a possible special episode is that since there are 61 clues total in a game, have each clue in that episode be related to a different year in the franchise's history, ranging from 1964 to 2024. Sure, there were no shows in 1976, 1977, or from 1980-1983, but board games were readily available during those gaps.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 08:44:01 PM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/