Author Topic: Potential IATSE Strike 2024 Discussion Thread  (Read 2534 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Potential IATSE Strike 2024 Discussion Thread
« on: March 19, 2024, 07:41:07 PM »
The last one of these threads was posted in this section, so for consistency sake I'll make a post here.

Negotiation talks have begun, and the current contract expires on July 31st. Last time, a deal was struck on the very last day.

Last thread started with some confusion on what it means for Price, but if the strike happens, Price practically can't tape. My bigger concern is OCA is reporting 20 taping days across May and June, meaning a potential 60 episodes in the can even before July. Most notably, our most recent schedules indicated that this season should have wrapped in April. This is probably strike insurance for Season 53, but I don't recall production ramping up this quickly three years ago.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Potential IATSE Strike 2024 Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 08:49:52 PM »
I guess another contract of note: Technically the SAG-AFTRA Network Code hasn't been renewed? That's why Price was able to tape when all the scripted shows couldn't. If that isn't renewed, Price won't be able to tape in July.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 11:53:46 PM »
Was hoping they'd have the mystery building next door finished in time for S53. Hopefully Price can benefit from a summer tourism boom.

The poor crew, though. Only a month break in between seasons.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 12:47:47 PM »
I guess another contract of note: Technically the SAG-AFTRA Network Code hasn't been renewed? That's why Price was able to tape when all the scripted shows couldn't. If that isn't renewed, Price won't be able to tape in July.
https://deadline.com/2024/03/sag-aftra-2024-contract-renewal-1235867480/

Talks are starting.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 07:53:18 PM »
I don't mean to break the subject slightly, but I would honestly be surprised if this strike occurs and affects TPIR...MAINLY because I never knew anyone of the IATSE works for the show (only because we don't see that emblem at the end of the show, or what not)...so unless if someone affiliated with IATSE works for the show, I honestly don't see how TPIR would be affected...could there be any clarification about this?
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 09:04:40 PM »
Last thread, it was brought up that editors are part of the IATSE also, so even if a show is taped, it can't get edited during a strike.

Pulling up a random episode, 2/29/2024, credited are supervising editor, Frank Le Nguyen, editors Jennifer M. Fah-Vayhinger, La-Aja Hernandez, Nicole M. Katz, and Dan Paek, along with assistant editors Matthew Lannin, Richard Armstrong, and Emily Grimmer.

Notice how all of them are listed as members of Local 700, and that's just one part of production; I didn't even link other members like camera operators, for instance. So, yes, IATSE shutting down means the show can't produce more episodes.

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 09:51:53 AM »
I didn't even link other members like camera operators, for instance.

Camera operators are probably either NABET or IBEW members. I wouldn't know which union reps Haven, but I do know CBS' camera ops (and other tech personnel) were IBEW.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 04:51:03 PM »
Last thread, it was brought up that editors are part of the IATSE also, so even if a show is taped, it can't get edited during a strike.
Just a minor correction, Price's post-production staff last time was mentioned as IBEW, who could strike in solidarity.
Price's post-production staff is in IBEW, not IATSE, but could potentially strike in solidarity.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2024, 08:18:08 AM »
Was hoping they'd have the mystery building next door finished in time for S53. Hopefully Price can benefit from a summer tourism boom.

The poor crew, though. Only a month break in between seasons.

This could be like the Barker era though where they would tape the early episodes of a season in May/June, have the taping break in July/August, then resume production around Labor Day, and perhaps have the building done after that break.

With talks already underway, and with the recent lessons learned from the WGA/SAG-AFTRA strikes, I believe a stoppage is unlikely at this point.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 01:41:48 AM »
With talks already underway, and with the recent lessons learned from the WGA/SAG-AFTRA strikes, I believe a stoppage is unlikely at this point.

There's only one way to find out...by that I mean that all we can do is wait and see what happens exactly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 02:39:50 PM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2024, 01:56:49 AM »
I went to a taping this last week and there were a ton of IATSE shirts in that studio.

Whoever is here saying a strike wouldn't affect production is living on another planet; it absolutely 100% would. And what I saw were the hardest working people in the business so I hope all ends well for everyone.

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2024, 09:20:11 PM »
And what I saw were the hardest working people in the business so I hope all ends well for everyone.

Amen.