Author Topic: Mike Richards speaks to People about his Jeopardy stint  (Read 1098 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Mike Richards speaks to People about his Jeopardy stint
« on: March 20, 2024, 05:13:03 PM »
https://people.com/jeopardy-producer-mike-richards-opens-up-being-fired-after-1-day-exclusive-8611125

Mike Richards talked to People magazine about his future and behind-the-scenes on Jeopardy. Highlights:

Since leaving the show as both host and executive producer, Richards says he's mostly spent time with his family. "I did spend a lot of time reflecting on everything that had happened," he shares. "I mean, it was quite a firestorm that engulfed my family."

For now, he's working on packaging and selling more shows, and says more than one person has told him he should write a book about what really goes on behind the scenes at game shows since he has the stories.

Of course, he's also still pitching game show concepts, but as for getting behind the podium again? He's not gunning for it.

Richards' most recent IMDB credit is an EP credit on the the 2021 version of Chain Reaction, which began airing before the Jeopardy kerfuffle. My read on this is he's signalling "hey I'm still a high profile game show producer looking for work, please hire me again."
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Re: Mike Richards speaks to People about his Jeopardy stint
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 09:41:17 PM »
It's a shame that we live in a world where someone can't get hired just because they have a hole in their foot the exact size of a .357 magnum round.

The actual retail price is...

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 11:09:09 PM »
Everyone forgets he was EP of Wheel of Fortune too.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 01:09:35 PM »
Even by puff-piece standards, this was practically written by his PR team. Not enough eye rolls in the world for that.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 03:45:13 PM »
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and ask: why is there so much hate for Mike Richards? He's largely responsible for Price remaining successful in the years after Bob's and Roger's departures. He brought the show into the 21st Century while keeping the heart of the show intact. There were definitely hiccups along the way that were questionable, but ultimately things worked out. The only change he really made to Wheel was the remix of the retro theme song that most people like. And as far as the Jeopardy! situation, I think he gets more flack for it than he deserves. Sony execs are the ones who had the final say in who hosted the show. As a viewer, I even would have picked him. Ken Jennings has Tweeted inappropriate things prior to becoming part of the Jeopardy! family, but that doesn't seem to bother anyone. Mike Richards said some things on an old podcast that were inappropriate and he's been crucified and canceled. I know it's Hollywood and double standards are the norm, but why is one person canceled and scrubbed from existence while another is protected and thrives?
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline bossman71_ky

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 03:48:59 PM »
 :bork:
Even by puff-piece standards, this was practically written by his PR team. Not enough eye rolls in the world for that.

Couldn’t have said it better. There’s not one ounce of humility from Richards after what happened to him. If he truly believed Ken was the guy he would’ve declined after being asked to host with a recommendation Ken be given the slot. That’s what a leader does. It was never about the show, it was about him. He’s a self-absorbed POS, this article clearly demonstrates it as he masks himself in marketing-ese. Finally got his comeuppance for ruining the greatest game-show of all time, and thank God he wasn’t allowed to do it to another.
CSS pts: 91.33

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 06:40:48 PM »
e he really made to Wheel was the remix of the retro theme song that most people like. And as far as the Jeopardy! situation, I think he gets more flack for it than he deserves. Sony execs are the ones who had the final say in who hosted the show. As a viewer, I even would have picked him.
“I am not interested in hosting.” That’s it. That’s all he needed to say. Yes, Sony higher ups deserved plenty of blame for allowing the fiasco of someone orchestrating a “search” that just so happened to land on himself. They should be raked over the coals for that, but he was no innocent bystander. Yes, some of the guest hosts were simply that—guests doing a week or two to honor Alex and do something they wanted to try while raising money for their charity of choice. That in and of itself was fine. The notion he put himself in contention while he was executive producer is not. And no, this is not someone who comes in to a new show in a dual role from the start, or a host who adds an often ceremonial credit alongside other EPs. This was sleazy and slimy and coming on the heels of Alex’s death, stunk to high heaven.

What he did for Price was fine. What he did as executive producer of Jeopardy before Alex died was fine. He could have had a very nice career on the strength of that success. But no, he had to manipulate things to make himself Alex’s replacement. Sorry. He doesn’t get a pass on that.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 07:44:58 PM »
Well put, imhomerjay.  I could not have said it better myself.  Though there are at least a lot of things you've said that I couldn't phrase better myself.

FWIW, and IMHO, the things Ken said on Social Media pales in comparison to the accusations against Mike.  While some may conclude the opposite was the case, the fact is that both were good at what they did in the public eye.  For Jennings, his Jeopardy run.  Really his history with the show over the past 20 years.  For Richards, conquering adversity, and making TPIR tremendous in a modern era.

I guess I'm not a fan of TPTB making decisions that are the opposite of what makes sense.  Or decisions that don't match the wishes of the spectators.  The reason behind this might be a combination of appearing smarter than the fans or their dislike toward making their fans "smart" based off of their opinions & wishes. 

Probably the easiest & simple call for Ken Jennings to succeed Alex Trebek hindered by whatever took place in 2021.  Had the "best move" from TPTB taken place, then maybe Mike Richards is still employed by Sony.  It is a shame that he can't find glorified work.  Personally, I don't know if it's a big deal for a casual, who (or many of whom) didn't even know who he was prior to Jeopardy
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 07:53:02 PM »
:bork:
Finally got his comeuppance for ruining the greatest game-show of all time, and thank God he wasn’t allowed to do it to another.
(yawn) another thread, another case of derailment by "bob & dob 4eva"

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 08:21:07 PM »
“I am not interested in hosting.” That’s it. That’s all he needed to say. Yes, Sony higher ups deserved plenty of blame for allowing the fiasco of someone orchestrating a “search” that just so happened to land on himself. They should be raked over the coals for that, but he was no innocent bystander. Yes, some of the guest hosts were simply that—guests doing a week or two to honor Alex and do something they wanted to try while raising money for their charity of choice. That in and of itself was fine. The notion he put himself in contention while he was executive producer is not. And no, this is not someone who comes in to a new show in a dual role from the start, or a host who adds an often ceremonial credit alongside other EPs. This was sleazy and slimy and coming on the heels of Alex’s death, stunk to high heaven.

What he did for Price was fine. What he did as executive producer of Jeopardy before Alex died was fine. He could have had a very nice career on the strength of that success. But no, he had to manipulate things to make himself Alex’s replacement. Sorry. He doesn’t get a pass on that.

Not to mention the fact that the show's National College Championship was going to involve teams under Richards. While Trebek was alive, no less:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/2020/10/editorial-jeopardy-is-an-individual-game-mike-richards.html

If that was any indication of what to expect from Richards' Jeopardy! tenure, then God knows what else Richards would've done to it if he were still there.

(yawn) another thread, another case of derailment by "bob & dob 4eva"
Thank you. Let's be real: if Dob stayed, I doubt the show would've lasted after Season 37, or 38 if we were lucky. Changes needed to be made, and the show still goes strong after 50+ years.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 08:27:22 PM by Trevor Tuominen »
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2024, 11:13:19 PM »
I'm going to play devil's advocate here and ask: why is there so much hate for Mike Richards?
At least for me, it basically makes the whole “host search” after Trebek’s death feel like a sham and just content filler.

There were several guest hosts who legit were good and would’ve made a fantastic replacement for Alex.  I don’t know how much input Mike Richards actually had as executive producer of Jeopardy, but the vibe it gives off is “As executive producer, I declare the new host to be…myself!”  Somebody your casual viewer would go “Huh?  Who?”
All Hail Sinfonia!

Online Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 11:24:20 PM »
We also gotta account for those reports of his mistreatment of employees backstage on Jeopardy!, noted by James Holzhauer in the tweet below. Yep, it wasn't just old podcast remarks that brought him down.

"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!