Author Topic: #243N (recorded 9/19/1978)  (Read 961 times)

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
#243N (recorded 9/19/1978)
« on: April 02, 2024, 03:22:57 PM »
Featuring the second nighttime appearance of Golden Road.

The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: #243N (recorded 9/19/1978)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 01:49:54 AM »
Always nice to see a nighttime show. Watching it reminded me of something I've often wondered. What led to the erasure of the "can be yours if the price is right" line for one-bid prizes? When the daytime show began the line was read for all one-bids and some pricing games too. It quickly disappeared yet stayed in the nighttime show when Denis James was hosting. The line was gone by the time the nighttime show had come to an end, but it's still said here. I've always found this inconsistency between the two shows puzzling.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 06:43:17 AM »
I'd imagine it was just removed out of habit, much like how the demo spin on the original Press Your Luck was. The daytime show more gradually phased it out in that you would typically only hear the spiel on the first IUFB when it was used, but it was gone by 1978 on that version.

It also appears that they moved the placement of the consolation prize plugs during the credits from just before Johnny's sign-off to the start of them for the following season.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 10:06:25 PM »
It has been said the, "This... can be yours if the price is right" tag was tacked onto every One Bid plug because Dennis needed the cue for when to proceed.

Why did it remain after Barker took over? Dunno. It was also said years ago Jay Wolpert ran the daytime show and Frank Wayne the nighttime show. I'd blame Frank.

I like it, personally. Gives an air if elegance to the show, and I love how loaded the Showcases were. Really elevated that part of the show to be the ultimate chance at the best prizes.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 02:35:28 PM »
On one of the IUFBs in this episode, Bob nearly interrupts the "can be yours" line, despite him having hosted the nighttime show for nearly a year -- I wonder how often that happened.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 03:10:04 AM »
Two Rich Showcase!

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 03:31:42 PM »
It has been said the, "This... can be yours if the price is right" tag was tacked onto every One Bid plug because Dennis needed the cue for when to proceed.

Why did it remain after Barker took over? Dunno. It was also said years ago Jay Wolpert ran the daytime show and Frank Wayne the nighttime show. I'd blame Frank.

I like it, personally. Gives an air if elegance to the show, and I love how loaded the Showcases were. Really elevated that part of the show to be the ultimate chance at the best prizes.

Thing is, someone could really have walked away with "a fortune in fabulous prizes" had Golden Road been won – and it seems the car was just barely over $10,000, as a 1978 Buick Electra Limited with only standard equipment was $7,638 (certainly there were more options on the car than just Johnny's copy) – and the higher-priced showcase been won. And imagine if there was a Double Showcase rule what the winning amount might have been.

If there are more of these latter-day nighttime TPIRs out there, keep 'em coming.

Side note: With a Mercedes worth (surely) nearly $20,000 on the daytime show early in 1978, I wonder what types of grand prizes were offered on Golden Road ... if these were just barely over $10,000 and/or were luxury (or at least loaded full-sized sedans) or mid-range luxury import cars or high-performance sports cars (think Datsun 280Z), just like the daytime show ... or (heaven forbid) something like two new Chevrolet Chevette hatchback sedans (which in 1978, fully optioned, together might total more than $10,000).

Brian