Author Topic: Season 52 Spinning Star Thread  (Read 2408 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Season 52 Spinning Star Thread
« on: April 04, 2024, 02:10:45 AM »
Since Season 52 began, not a month has gone by without a spinning star being awarded to somebody on this board. The number of spinning stars awarded this season alone to board members and friends of known superfans is astounding:

themountainclimber, called 3rd on Sep 29, never got fourth bidder advantage and joined the $300 club.

jokerz, called 3rd on Oct 17, wore a LFAT shirt with homemade recreations of the sets and won a gaming room playing Cliff Hangers.

furneralcar47, called 2nd on Oct 24, won a set of luggage and played Range Game.

LFAT since diapers, called 2nd on Nov 20, played Do the Math, won a television and range.

Henry "Chip", friend of a superfan, called 3rd as part of a primetime blind date special pairing on Dec 7, played Cliffhangers and won dates for a year and his share of $1,000 on the wheel.

namnhu12, called 1st on Dec 19, joined the $300 club after getting one-upped three times.

My friend Matt, who isn't technically a boardie but is worth mentioning here, was called 4th on Dec 26; thanks in part to a script oopsie he won a truck in Switcheroo.

SuperSweeper, called 6th on Jan 11. Played Push Over and won a trip to Idaho and a snowbike.

Joanne, friend of a superfan, called 5th on Jan 24, joined the $300 club.

goldenroadfanatic, called 9th on Feb 22 joined the $300 club.

SecretChip, called 9th on Mar 26, joined the $300 club.

OneBidTris, called 8th on April 2, joined the $300 club.

thatvhstapeguy, called 1st on April 22, won a Hyundai Elantra after convincing James to drop his Pocket Change price from $2.75 to $1.00.

What gives? Are our sparkling personalities shining through? Do enthusiastic board members stand out more with fewer seats in the audience? Are they making a conscious effort to give every GR.netter an X on their number so they can enjoy nine years of peace? Do we start planning the 2034 tidal wave of returning contestants now?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 08:00:15 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SecretChip

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 3/26/24 C.N.A.O.S Member
Re: Season 52 Spinning Star Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 05:10:37 AM »
I say we all make a plan for April 2034  :-D

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 10:05:14 AM »
The cynic in me thinks that they're pulling a campaign of "here's your $300, please go away," BUT we are all undoubtedly appreciative of the chance to come on down whenever we happen to get called.

Do we have a winner's list, like Buy-a-Vowel does? That might be a neat thing to see.

Season 63 will be great.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 03:51:17 PM by thatvhstapeguy »
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore

Offline furneralcar47

• 10/24/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • HELLO MAMA BEV!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 07:18:57 PM »
Howdy All!

Thank you Recap Leader!

Let me say this:  The New Powers That Be are really trying to make TPIR accessible to ALL:  Minorities, disabled contestants like myself, super-fans from this and other sites. 

Let’s continue our great behavior and goodwill towards them. 

Love, Life and Light To You All!!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 08:12:19 PM »
Do we have a winner's list, like Buy-a-Vowel does? That might be a neat thing to see.

3/4 of it would be username: $300

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 10:32:49 PM »
Hey, I got $300 AND a $100 gift card on my episode :P
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline namnhu12

• 12/19/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 11:47:57 PM »
Being picked 1st on a Christmas week show will always live in my memory for the rest of my life.  Did I want to win more on the show? Of course, but I just hearing and seeing my name was the thrill of a lifetime.  And besides, that money went to my lovely wife anyways.  I will always be gamed to try again in December 2033.  At least, my show will reair this summer.
I got to live my lifelong dream on December 19, 2023.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 12:17:22 AM »
Do enthusiastic board members stand out more with fewer seats in the audience?

I think that's a large part of it.  With half the number of seats there used to be and them still needing to pay seat fillers by time, your odds have never been better at being chosen by simply showing up.

The cynic in me thinks that they're pulling a campaign of "here's your $300, please go away,"

Perhaps, but seeing as only three of the eleven listed were called eighth or later, it would seem to me they really are finding those among this site's membership to be good prospects and thus called them early.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2024, 12:36:48 PM »
Are they making a conscious effort to give every GR.netter an X on their number so they can enjoy nine years of peace?

That's my hypothesis. :lol: :lol:

I became eligible again in November and I'm going to see the show in a week and two days. I'll let everybody know how it turns out. :lol:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 02:54:11 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2024, 12:54:38 PM »
Are they making a conscious effort to give every GR.netter an X on their number so they can enjoy nine years of peace?
That's my hypothesis.

Peace from what, though?  The majority of the active membership of this site is now of people who support the current showrunners and host.  The days of daily criticism here about the latest new stunts and deviations from the former ways of producing the show are long gone (though even the current powers-that-be would have to admit that season 37 was a disaster from a production standpoint).  Members of this site are not going to the tapings, advertising to all those in line they have the prices of every prize memorized (not that this can really be done as easily as it used to be), and then breaking the budget by feeding wins to the contestants.  I can't see the current powers viewing this site as a "thorn in their side" they way they used to view it.

How would they even know if somebody at a taping is a member here?  Plenty of "loyal friend and true" "superfan" types have showed up at tapings over the years that were never members of this site.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline chippyg

• 1/9/98 & 12/7/23
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 02:04:10 PM »

Henry "Chip", friend of a superfan, called 3rd as part of a primetime blind date special pairing on Dec 7, played Cliffhangers and won dates for a year and his share of $1,000 on the wheel.

That's me! Although I technically earned my star in 1998 when I won the showcase with Bob. I don't know why I don't show it. I officially had the star at one point but it disappeared for some reason.

Having attended many tapings this season, I honestly love this season and the vibe at the show currently. It feels like the culture at the show not only supports but celebrates the superfans!

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024, 07:42:00 PM »
That's me! Although I technically earned my star in 1998 when I won the showcase with Bob. I don't know why I don't show it. I officially had the star at one point but it disappeared for some reason.

I’m not sure how it was removed, but I have reinstated your well-deserved gold star!
John

Offline chippyg

• 1/9/98 & 12/7/23
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 02:56:04 AM »
I’m not sure how it was removed, but I have reinstated your well-deserved gold star!

Thank you!!! :biggrin:

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2024, 07:28:11 PM »
With half the number of seats there used to be and them still needing to pay seat fillers by time, your odds have never been better at being chosen by simply showing up.

I went to two taping this week and both were full, with standbys being turned away, and no seat fillers (granted, the 8am show today was the last show of Season 52 and the 4th of July airing). There was definitely a guy losing his temper in the parking lot because he only had standby tickets and a line started at 4 am.

Show 2 each day was full, too, and I wasn't afforded the opportunity to attend more than the 8am show.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 07:53:28 PM »
I went to two taping this week and both were full, with standbys being turned away, and no seat fillers (granted, the 8am show today was the last show of Season 52 and the 4th of July airing). There was definitely a guy losing his temper in the parking lot because he only had standby tickets and a line started at 4 am.

Show 2 each day was full, too, and I wasn't afforded the opportunity to attend more than the 8am show.

Same here 3 weeks ago. Minus the angry standbys. I did not collect a spinning star, but, my audience was full of fantastic people who were passionate about the show and absolutely earned their call downs (and some I was shocked didn't get called down). It wasn't slim pickings by any means. As far as I could tell there were no seat fillers.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:01:25 PM by C8 »