Author Topic: Total Solar Eclipse - Monday, April 8  (Read 1315 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Total Solar Eclipse - Monday, April 8
« on: April 04, 2024, 04:43:04 PM »
Is anyone viewing the Total Solar Eclipse on Monday, April 8?

ABC is airing "Eclipse Across America" from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM ET.
CBS is airing "Total Eclipse of the Heartland" from 2:00-3:30 PM ET.
NBC is airing "NBC News Special: Solar Eclipse 2024: from 2:00-4:00 PM ET.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Total Solar Eclipse - Monday, April 8
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 04:47:35 PM »
I didn’t have work that day, and looked into booking a flight east—everything is triple what it would normally be!

Guess I’m waiting until 2045.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 05:31:35 PM »
I remember the mentions on TWC saying that there was one coming up in April 2024, back in 2018.  That doesn't even feel like six years ago.  It's a sight unlike any other.  Feels like things sold out before they went on sale or spots were taken before they became available
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 06:43:36 PM »
I live in Buffalo, and we're right in the path. Hotels around here booked solid, schools closed, many businesses closed, super heavy traffic expected. Glad I don't usually work Mondays!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 08:33:15 PM »
Schools in my city are also closing Monday
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 09:57:38 PM »
I'm also right in the path of totality, and my employer already closed on Monday...mostly due to the expected influx of traffic to the area. So I'll be watching it from my backyard.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 10:51:52 PM »
I'll be heading up to Houlton, Maine to be on the path of totality. I have my eclipse glasses, pinhole viewer, and other supplies ready to go! After a figure skating show I'm performing in has its last performance on Sunday, I'll hit the road to travel from the Boston area to eat dinner in Portland, Maine, and then continue towards a hotel in Bangor to spend the night. The following morning, I'll drive to Houlton to view the eclipse.

I promoted vital information about the eclipse to my coworkers in my company's offices in Boston and Portland, so I hope they enjoy it as well. My coworkers and I were giddy about watching the partial eclipse in our area in August 2017, so they'll surely be more excited about what will happen on Monday.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 10:58:19 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 11:32:02 PM »
I am going and have been planning for years but The first time I did it back (wow 2017) my mother (it was before I had the age of majority) called in to find the place (it was  either one month or two months before) and found a place in Santee (it is in South Carolina I am not sure how to spell it) but always double check because sometimes they say it counted but it did not. A lot of places are going to be cloudy, so you might be able to get one of those places and drive from there. anyway I started my planning this time in 2020 we have to go through a few places because some places were selling (like there hotel) some places were not going to get prices until closer to the date but we found a place eventually and definitely are going.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 08:22:18 AM »
Our CBS affiliate (WANF along with sister station WPCH) will blackout the CBS coverage for a local take on the eclipse to lead into their 4:00 news. (The Goldbergs will follow on WPCH.)
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 08:33:23 PM »
I will be in Little Rock to view the eclipse. If anyone else will be, let me know!

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 10:02:35 PM »
Wish I could see it from where I am. If I looked at a map correctly, I think I can only see 37% or so from where I am in Washington state.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2024, 12:04:03 AM »
okay this is what happened my parents were idiots (I love them but still) because they decided because the weather looks bad (cloudy) so they cancelled the room. the thing was actually made into their account at the time because I was getting out of high school into college and some hotels do not rent to those under 21 even though I was above 18. I am currently above 21 but not at that time and they told me after the post (I think like the day after if not the same day) to give you an idea of how little time I had after that. (if I had ever book a hotel before, I would try but I have no idea what I am doing and the eclipse is not really the best time to be testing how to book a hotel since I sound a lot younger than I am on voice and last time they were computer areas for a bunch of hotels getting wrong who booked who)

we are going to be driving there on the night of probably within 2 to 3 hours of making this. (covid kind of close down all the places to get licenses too (we have to go through so many hoops to get me a permit again after I turn 21) so I am tagging.) this is always the risk and hopefully everything works itself out. still I love hearing everyone's plans.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 12:09:13 AM by Game Girl »

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2024, 02:18:35 PM »
I am wrong (as usual). WANF is joining the streaming channel Local News Now with their coverage of The Great American Eclipse.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 02:28:27 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2024, 05:05:07 PM »
A picture I took of totality in Little Rock:

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2024, 05:16:49 PM »
A neighbor used a pasta colander with round holes in it. Aimed at the pavement, we saw dozens of little eclipses!
--Michel de Montaigne