Author Topic: UNPOPULAR OPINION - Bidding $1 more and/or bidding $420 is not a problem  (Read 1330 times)

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Seriously, I have been reading these complaints amongst the fandom for some time, and to be honest, if I felt that I could win by outbidding my opponent with the highest bid by $1, I would do that. If I felt that everyone had overbid and I was the last to bid, I would bid $420.

I honestly don't get why people take issue with people making these two bids in contestants' row when they might just be what gets you up on stage...
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
i think the problem people have against 420 bids is when they do it every time (or add a digit in front of it, ie 1420) instead of actually bidding to try to win

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
Bidding $420 because you believe that is what will get you the win is one thing. Bidding $420 because you think it's funny (like $69) is another. One is a person trying to get up on stage, the other is a clown looking for their 15 minutes.

My grandmother, who has been watching Price is Right for 50+ years has always said she thinks they should have a rule of bidding a certain amount within others and I've always said that makes things unfair. If contestant A bid $999 and I know (or genuinely believe) the price is $1000, it's not fair that I would now have to bid something like $1025 and risk going over. It's tough because I also get annoyed when someone one-ups the last person to get called down, a crowd favorite who had been stuck in contestant's row all show, or even someone who is a clear fan vs someone clueless who probably hadn't seen a full episode of Price is Right since it started. In the end, it's still a game and has always been this way .
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road

My grandmother, who has been watching Price is Right for 50+ years has always said she thinks they should have a rule of bidding a certain amount within others ...

I wonder if this is also from her probably being old enough to be able to see the Cullen series in its heyday (vs GSN/Buzzr/YT) and knowing how a lot of times, that version DID implement such a rule of having to increase the bid to be a certain amount above the previous high bid

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
No one bid prize is ever under $500 these days. Therefore, a bid of $420 is always strategically wrong; one should bid $500 instead.

Offline furneralcar47

• 10/24/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • HELLO MAMA BEV!
I admit I don’t feel bad when a Contestant crashes and burns on stage after $1ering someone else.

It’s usually a case of refusing to think for themselves.  Because often the APR of the prize in question is over $200 more than the $01 bid.

I especially love seeing the $1er fail on stage when they act like they are so great and smart when in reality they just copied off someone’s paper so to speak.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
If I felt that everyone had overbid and I was the last to bid, I would bid $420.

And why specifically that amount?  Because you're a pothead?  Whether you are or not is irrelevant, I suppose, but it is the impression you would give making such a bid.

It's a matter of maturity, and those who've deliberately bid $420 in this day and age are intentionally being immature.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
It's a matter of maturity, and those who've deliberately bid $420 in this day and age are intentionally being immature.

Right on. The contestant’s job is to bid as close as possible to the ARP of the prize being offered, not make joke bids to get a cheap laugh. Especially when you only have a maximum of six chances to bid before being effectively being banned from the show for ten years. Save that unfunny crap for Family Feud or whatever.

And I’m not willing to consider differing views on this topic either.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner

Right on. The contestant’s job is to bid as close as possible to the ARP of the prize being offered, not make joke bids to get a cheap laugh. Especially when you only have a maximum of six chances to bid before being effectively being banned from the show for ten years. Save that unfunny crap for Family Feud or whatever.

And I’m not willing to consider differing views on this topic either.
🤣🤣🤣Ooooh, that’ll teach ‘em.

The Price is Right is not exactly Mensa. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that but let’s not pretend it’s something stately and regal.

That these things get people bent out of shape is rather remarkable.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
No one bid prize is ever under $500 these days. Therefore, a bid of $420 is always strategically wrong; one should bid $500 instead.

Unless the person bidding is the 4th to bid, and they believe the other three bids have gone over. 

Then, it doesn't really matter since the chance of bidding exactly $500 and that being exactly right, thus getting the cash bonus is very tiny, and bidding higher than $500 allows there to be a 4-way overbid, so at that point anything $500 or lower is 99.9999% the same result.

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Unless the person bidding is the 4th to bid, and they believe the other three bids have gone over. 

Then, it doesn't really matter since the chance of bidding exactly $500 and that being exactly right, thus getting the cash bonus is very tiny, and bidding higher than $500 allows there to be a 4-way overbid, so at that point anything $500 or lower is 99.9999% the same result.

It may be 99.9999% the same thing, but 99.9999% is not 100%. However unlikely it is, bidding $500 gives you a non-zero shot at getting the $500 bonus, while bidding less than $500 gives you an exactly 0% chance of getting that bonus. Even if the advantage is tiny, why would you not take it?

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
It may be 99.9999% the same thing, but 99.9999% is not 100%. However unlikely it is, bidding $500 gives you a non-zero shot at getting the $500 bonus, while bidding less than $500 gives you an exactly 0% chance of getting that bonus. Even if the advantage is tiny, why would you not take it?

Have they actually had items at exactly $500 anyway in the recent past?  If so, it must be very rare, certainly not something that happens often enough to be remembered :)

Even then, the point is to get the item and get on stage to play for more stuff - the money is certainly a nice "extra" but not the focus of the vast majority of players (or watchers).

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
🤣🤣🤣Ooooh, that’ll teach ‘em.

The Price is Right is not exactly Mensa. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that but let’s not pretend it’s something stately and regal.

That these things get people bent out of shape is rather remarkable.

Somehow, I expected this sort of “well-thought-out” comment.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
$80085, Drew!
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
$80085, Drew!

That, obviously, would be considered a dumb bid...even worse than bidding $420...
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!