Author Topic: UNPOPULAR OPINION - Bidding $1 more and/or bidding $420 is not a problem  (Read 1331 times)

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Bidding $420 because you believe that is what will get you the win is one thing. Bidding $420 because you think it's funny (like $69) is another. One is a person trying to get up on stage, the other is a clown looking for their 15 minutes.

My grandmother, who has been watching Price is Right for 50+ years has always said she thinks they should have a rule of bidding a certain amount within others and I've always said that makes things unfair. If contestant A bid $999 and I know (or genuinely believe) the price is $1000, it's not fair that I would now have to bid something like $1025 and risk going over. It's tough because I also get annoyed when someone one-ups the last person to get called down, a crowd favorite who had been stuck in contestant's row all show, or even someone who is a clear fan vs someone clueless who probably hadn't seen a full episode of Price is Right since it started. In the end, it's still a game and has always been this way .

I can see your point, but what if someone bid/added "420" or "69" to their bid because it actually would get them the win? Some people might think one is being funny, but if it were me, I wouldn't be doing so deliberately for humor; it would just be because I felt that doing so would get me the win if I am the last person to bid and felt that I needed to think critically.

I would concur, however, that bidding those numbers repeatedly to no avail would be rather obnoxious.

Also, you are right that it would be unfair to ban bidding $1 higher...the insane amount of complaints I see from people begging for that rule to be changed only tells me that some people have never seen TPIR in their lives to know the rules of the game that have been the standard since day 1 in '72.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
I can see your point, but what if someone bid/added "420" or "69" to their bid because it actually would get them the win?

Unless there really are any prizes these days that end in $420 or $69, you can be mature and bid something else and still win.

Yes, this means if you want to one-up someone whose bid ends in $419 or $68, you be mature by bidding something other than $1 higher (perhaps a few dollars higher so it doesn't look like you are so blatantly skipping "dirty numbers" because you know Drew would at least giggle to see you two-up someone to avoid those figures).

Honestly, they should just put it in the contestant release not to make such bids since enough people have been called who couldn't seem to figure that out (though how the contestant coordinator didn't figure out they'd be such a bad pick...).  There really should be a mechanism to eject contestants who don't take the proceedings seriously and just want to be a doofus on television.  Such idiots need not to take the place of others in the audience who would make for great contestants.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I can see your point, but what if someone bid/added "420" or "69" to their bid because it actually would get them the win? Some people might think one is being funny, but if it were me, I wouldn't be doing so deliberately for humor; it would just be because I felt that doing so would get me the win if I am the last person to bid and felt that I needed to think critically.

Unless you are the last to bid and the highest bid ends in _419 or __68, there is quite literally no legitimate reason to ever add 420 or 69 to your bid other than to be a clown.

Like I understand that Price is supposed to be fun or whatever, but if you're not going to actually attempt to win, then you have no business being on the show. Period. I imagine that being a contestant coordinator is a thankless job, not the least of which is because you'll get the blame if you send some moron out there who just wants 15 minutes of fame.

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Unless there really are any prizes these days that end in $420 or $69, you can be mature and bid something else and still win.

Yes, this means if you want to one-up someone whose bid ends in $419 or $68, you be mature by bidding something other than $1 higher (perhaps a few dollars higher so it doesn't look like you are so blatantly skipping "dirty numbers" because you know Drew would at least giggle to see you two-up someone to avoid those figures).

Honestly, they should just put it in the contestant release not to make such bids since enough people have been called who couldn't seem to figure that out (though how the contestant coordinator didn't figure out they'd be such a bad pick...).  There really should be a mechanism to eject contestants who don't take the proceedings seriously and just want to be a doofus on television.  Such idiots need not to take the place of others in the audience who would make for great contestants.

Unless you are the last to bid and the highest bid ends in _419 or __68, there is quite literally no legitimate reason to ever add 420 or 69 to your bid other than to be a clown.

Like I understand that Price is supposed to be fun or whatever, but if you're not going to actually attempt to win, then you have no business being on the show. Period. I imagine that being a contestant coordinator is a thankless job, not the least of which is because you'll get the blame if you send some moron out there who just wants 15 minutes of fame.

(imitating Rei Ayanami)
I only see immaturity from those who can't accept a decent strategy on bidding $420 and or "$--69". Do you feel the need to put down people who innocently bid those amounts because they appear immature to you when they only meant well to win their way on stage?
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
this isn't something as upper-class as Jeopardy we're talking about.... and at the end of the day, these are just numbers that admittedly get overused elsewhere

isn't there more pressing things we could argue about instead of certain numbers on a show that's about pricing just about anything and everything from gum to cars

(edited to add this)  and if you REALLY want over-use of the 420 in a game show, see Snoop Dogg's take on The Joker's Wild

• Taking a Bonus Spin
this isn't something as upper-class as Jeopardy we're talking about.... and at the end of the day, these are just numbers that admittedly get overused elsewhere

isn't there more pressing things we could argue about instead of certain numbers on a show that's about pricing just about anything and everything from gum to cars

(edited to add this)  and if you REALLY want over-use of the 420 in a game show, see Snoop Dogg's take on The Joker's Wild

All true. It seems that voicing my opinion on innocently bidding $420 (let alone, $--69) or bidding $1 higher to win your way on stage (not bidding those numbers repeatedly to no avail) is considered a taboo to some...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 01:23:58 PM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »

Offline DebonairDylan

• In the Audience
What about bidding $666 or a 4 digit amount $x,666? There was one instance of a bidder bidding $665 and the next one purposely bid $667. Myself, I would bid $666 in that situation just to see what Drew's reaction would be, I wouldn't bid that just for the sake of it though.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
I only see immaturity from those who can't accept a decent strategy on bidding $420 and or "$--69".

You don't seem to be getting the point that this will never be the optimum, much less a decent, strategy.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
you also need to realize a lot of people in that row are NOT golden-road.net superfans like us who would even THINK to be "optimized" in their bidding

just look at how many non-zero guesses are made on 10 Chances, even AFTER the Superfan episode all but spelled it out

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
(imitating Rei Ayanami)
I only see immaturity from those who can't accept a decent strategy on bidding $420 and or "$--69". Do you feel the need to put down people who innocently bid those amounts because they appear immature to you when they only meant well to win their way on stage?

This is a waste of time and the very existence of this thread was a mistake.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
I'm not even sure what the hell's happening here, but it's done now.

LOCKED.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.