Author Topic: Contestant Occupation Advantages/Disadvantages?  (Read 694 times)

Offline Nate Powalie

• In Contestant's Row
  • Sporcle Live Trivia Host/Freelance Sports Writer
Contestant Occupation Advantages/Disadvantages?
« on: May 02, 2024, 10:27:10 PM »
Hello again my g-r.net friends.

Okay, I have a question regarding contestants. Do you guys think a certain occupation for a contestant who appears on the show can play to an advantage or disadvantage? If so, what occupations do you think would have an advantage or a disadvantage and why? Let me know! Thanks crew!
"Can't we all just learn to get along already?" - Nate Powalie

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Contestant Occupation Advantages/Disadvantages?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 10:55:38 PM »
Anything is an advantage as long as you can sell it in an interesting way when asked.

“What do you do?” “I’m a janitor. I’m here to make a clean sweep of the studio!”

If you can’t do that with your job, do it with something else.

“What do you do?” “I’m a janitor and I own over 200 kewpie dolls. I even have these ones shaped like Drew and George…”
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 04:16:29 AM »
People who work at grocery stores, especially ones at the check out lines, I would think might have a bit of an advantage with grocery item pricing, especially if said employees live in California which is where the show is taped.

Ditto for car salespersons or people who work at retail stores for smaller prized prices, such as ones used in Bonus Game, etc.

Teachers might make for great contestants, e.g. Ted Klaussen.

I forget the one contestant's name, but I think he might have been on the autistic scale.  He had an exact bid of $2,148 for a scooter and then played Buy or Sell flawlessly, becoming that pricing game's biggest winner.  I do not know if this young man was employed or not.

I don't know how many, if any, professional gamblers ever make it to the show, but they are very in tune with statistical probabilities which might come in handy with certain aspects of certain pricing games.

Those who are not employed, be it college students, retired people, or those who simply are unable to find work and who are home and able to either watch the show when it airs or stream it at their leisure could make for ideal contestants too.  The basic premise of the show it seemed way back in 1972 was geared primarily for housewives of the era, but that is by far a bygone era.

Offline thatvhstapeguy

• 4/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • First person to ever see $2.75 in Pocket
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 11:46:05 AM »
Anything is an advantage as long as you can sell it in an interesting way when asked.

I can certainly attest to this. Interesting occupations help, but a quick wit is even better.

Drew had a lot of fun with what I do for a living, both during that first break and when I just happened to get on stage immediately afterward. Couldn’t have been timed any better.

At my first taping I blew the interview by trying to joke that I write emails for a living; my mother also once blew an interview with (probably) Phil in the mid ‘90s by joking she was a professional game show contestant.
I didn't get called down, but the guy next to me did
Oops, that isn't true anymore

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 02:32:20 PM »
If we're purely talking the ability to play the game, I'd chime in not so much an occupation, but being the person that does the majority of the grocery shopping for your house probably gives you a strategic advantage.

Living in California gives you an advantage since the prices are usually California centric.

Being involved in car sales gives you an advantage when playing a car game.

Maybe being a lawyer is advantageous if the host screws up the rules.  :lol:
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 10:18:16 AM »
They may not exist to the degree they once did, but travel agents for anything to do with trips. They understand high season prices (aka "rack room" rates and peak season airfare) that the show uses for its ARPs. Flight attendants and hotel check-in desk workers possibly to a lesser degree could apply.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/