Author Topic: Variety: CBS in Talks with Drew Carey for 'TPIR'  (Read 7069 times)

Offline dad1153

• In Contestant's Row
Variety: CBS in Talks with Drew Carey for 'TPIR'
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:56:17 PM »
From: http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=print_story&articleid=VR1117967336&categoryid=14

Drew Carey, come on down! You're the next contender to replace Bob Barker as host of "The Price is Right."

CBS and producer FremantleMedia North America have talked to the comic about hosting the long-running daytime gameshow, people familiar with the situation said. Eye already has a relationship with Carey, who's been tapped to host the net's upcoming primetime quizzer "Power of 10" (Daily Variety, March 21).

Nothing's been decided about who ultimately will inherit Barker's skinny microphone, however. Carey is one of several people who have been mentioned as candidates, including Rosie O'Donnell and George Hamilton.

If Carey did get the "Price" gig, he'd likely have to pull double duty on "Power," which premieres in August. But such cross-daypart synergies have worked before (think Regis Philbin on "Live!" and "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire").

Nice! :-D  After all the Rosie O'Donnell unpleasantness of the past few days a person I can actually see hosting 'TPIR' (besides the constantly passed-over Todd Newton).

Offline tomxconn

• 4/16/98
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Variety: CBS in Talks with Drew Carey for 'TPIR'
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:59:13 PM »
Hmmm...now he might be worth an audition.

I'm a Whose Line fan, and two other guys I think should at least try out are Wayne Brady and Chip Esten.
"What would you do with $11,000?"

"I'd get my wife off my back!"

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 12:07:03 AM »
Wayne would be a good candidate along with Drew. Plus Wayne has already kinda taken a whack at hosting when he did a segment of Price for his talk show. I love the "Whose line" cast and I find Carey funny and friendly. So again, yes Drew would be an excellent candidate.

I used to think Rosie was a good candidate but after seeing all of the controversies she caused on The View I would say no. I'm afraid since she pretty much tore the image of The View to pieces that she would just do the same for Price.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline FastCompany

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 12:11:29 AM »
Hmm...I'm not convinced.  Drew was by far the LEAST talented comic on "Whose Line."  His jokes always fell flat and he relied on his colleagues to back him up.  I don't see him doing a daytime show.

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 12:12:19 AM »
Ok, so now we have

Mark Steins
George Hamilton
Todd Newton
Rosie O' Windbag
Drew Carey

Of those 5, I'd still pick Todd as my #1 choice.  I'd give Drew #2, George #3, Mark #4, and disqualify Rosie.

In the past we've had

Doug Davidson
Mario Lopez
John O'Hurley

I'm still sticking to my thoughts of "we'll have a new host soon enough," but I'm adding to that statement.  We'll have a new host soon enough so long as Rosie gives up.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 12:32:47 AM »

dad1153 wrote:
After all the Rosie O'Donnell unpleasantness of the past few days a person I can actually see hosting 'TPIR'

Except Rosie was by no means in official consideration.  Drew here probabaly is...

I'm trying to think which would kill the show quicker:  Rosie or a comedian. :rollold:

dad1153 wrote:
(besides the constantly passed-over Todd Newton).

Still don't get why he hasn't been named yet.  As far as the people who have been officially considered, how could any of them surpassed him?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Vexorg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 01:21:44 AM »
Drew Carey would have tone down his material a bit to be suitable for Price, but I don't think he'd be a bad choice (well, not as bad as Rosie anyway...)

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 01:38:44 AM »
Drew Carey's not too bad, I guess, but Wayne Brady... man, he'd be an awesome host. Too bad he isn't being considered. :-(

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 01:46:27 AM »
Drew Carey?  Ack!  He would kill TPiR almost as fast as Rosie.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 03:24:22 AM »
Drew Carey as host? I can't even picture that. I mean, he'd be better than some who've been mentioned, but, I don't know....

Wayne Brady? Hmmm....that'd be interesting. I enjoy him on Whose Line (Drew's all right), but, well, he'd be worth giving an audition to, I think.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 05:02:57 AM »
Its obvious that they want a BIG name and someone who can do the job.  The fact of the matter is that Todd can MORE than do the job, but his name isn't big enough.  As much as Todd more than derserves the job, his name just isn't big enough and they just don't think he has enough name power to draw an audienece.  If they did, this search would have been WAY by now.

jimlange

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 08:15:33 AM »

FastCompany wrote:
Hmm...I'm not convinced.  Drew was by far the LEAST talented comic on "Whose Line."  His jokes always fell flat and he relied on his colleagues to back him up.  I don't see him doing a daytime show.

I could never get into 'Whose Line,' because I just thought it was mostly annoying.  So I'm not all that enthusiastic about Carey, either.

Wayne Brady, by the way, has just been signed to host the new game show "Don't Forget the Lyrics."
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:57:28 AM »
I like Drew Carey. He wasn't too too funny on Whose Line, but he was good at hosting. Plus, I really liked the Drew Carey show.

But hosting Price? Uh ... no!

Drew Carey played a nerd on his sitcom. And you'll have to admit that there is always this nerd aura around him outsite of Drew Carey Show. He doesn't really have the class and the presence to be the host of the Price Is Right. Compare him with Todd Newton (the best of the pack, in my book) and you'll see what I mean.

And furthermore, what qualifies Carey as a good gameshow host? The "fake gameshow" aspect of Whose Line? The Power of 10, which we have yet to see the first episode? I don't think so.

Wayne Brady? I dunno! I like the guy, he's good and he's funny, and probably very good at interacting with the audience. But I'm just afraid he'd break into a song after the first SCSD, and they'd have to cut even more gametime because of that! :P

People mentioned other people from Whose Line ...

Colin Mockry(sp?) : Too weird.
Ryan Stiles : Too tall.
Greg Proops : Looks too much like Joe Pasquale.

The only one that would have the best chance in the bunch is Brad Sherwood. I dunno, there is something about him that looks like he can be serious, and still make funny jokes once in a while. Anyone saw his "Celebrity Jeopardy" thing in the Improv All-Star PPV, some years back? Not that it would qualify him for the job, I'm just saying.

I have a feeling that, as the weeks and the months go buy, we will hear more and more of those "in talks with" statements. The rumour mill is about to get in gear. I predict we'll hear about Ricky Lake or Jeff Foxworthy, or maybe even William Shatner. :P

Offline vozdanoite

• 6/15/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 10:04:37 AM »
maybe they are just trying to throw us all off the track by putting out names like Rosie and Drew to make us all discuss everything??
i don't know but i feel like they will just surprise us in the end...and keep everyone talking to keep interest up...

i don't know, the entertainment business is weird...

thats my 2 cents worth thanks!

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 10:10:20 AM »
You raise some good points there, Katrina.  By continuing to throw out names at random, it generates more discussion among the fans.  I just hope they make the right choice in the end
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23