Author Topic: Paging The Fremantle Lawyers  (Read 3653 times)

Offline dm

• Walking the Golden Road
    • My website
Paging The Fremantle Lawyers
« on: July 27, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
General Mills Cereals is doing some sort of cash giveaway promotion which uses a font that looks suspiciously like the Price is Right logo font and a dollar sign that looks suspiciously like... you know where this is going, right? They are giving the illusion of being somehow tied into Price is Right, and they clearly aren't.

This isn't like Grand Theft Auto using the Price font, the fact that they're using Price's dollar sign pushes this into blatant infringement.

Do Fremantle's lawyers even eat cereal? You'd think they eat trademark infringers for breakfast...

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Paging The Fremantle Lawyers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 11:44:32 AM »
Take a bite out of crime! :D

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »
For what it's worth, this wouldn't really be a case of trademark infringement, since TPiR doesn't own the font and General Mills isn't using it for a game show.

The legal issue is "appropriation."  As Dave noted, it's basically trying to leave the impression that you're associated with or endorsed by some other entity when that's not really the case.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 06:13:46 PM »
I've seen other shows using the font (namely, "Yo Momma" from MTV) and even Stan Olsen Hyundai in Nebraska uses the font on billboards next to the interstate.  I never thought that this was trademark infringement just by using the same font.

Offline Vexorg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 12:12:15 AM »
I saw this today (at Target), and it's pretty blatant.  I took a photo:

I seriously doubt that the font would be an issue, but I'm pretty sure the dollar sign is trademarked, and would be considered infringement.

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 12:33:46 AM »
The dollar sign is part of the font but one must wonder if it is indeed trademarked.  Still, I think General Mills should have thought a little harder about this one.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 03:31:49 PM »
You all must think General Mills is stupid.  If there were any sort of copyright issue involved with the font or the dollar sign, don't you think they would have obtained permission to use it before using it?  Especially given the very predominate display?

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 08:24:52 PM »

CaseyGV wrote:
You all must think General Mills is stupid.  If there were any sort of copyright issue involved with the font or the dollar sign, don't you think they would have obtained permission to use it before using it?

New Coke, the dot-com bubble, stealing "Coming to America" from Art Buchwald... history is filled with big corporations making stupid decisions in situations where they should have known better.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:22:46 PM »

Axl wrote:
New Coke, the dot-com bubble, stealing "Coming to America" from Art Buchwald... history is filled with big corporations making stupid decisions in situations where they should have known better.

But none of these are valid comparisons to the issue being discussed.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 10:35:22 PM »
CaseyGV wrote:

Axl wrote:

But none of these are valid comparisons to the issue being discussed.

They are if General Mills needed permission to use the logo and didn't get it.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline price_authority

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 11:08:21 PM »
The Price Is Right logo (including the dollar sign) is a registered trademark:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=p9or2k.2.9

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=p9or2k.2.3

D'oh!
Before you call your lawyer to sue me, know that everything contained in this post and in all of my posts past, present and future is entirely MY PERSONAL OPINION.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 11:18:45 PM »

SteveGavazzi wrote:
They are if General Mills needed permission to use the logo and didn't get it.

My point is - comparing failed products to unlawful use of someone else's copyrighted material isn't a valid comparison.  Both are stupid yes, but each have far different consequences.

I still think it's amusing that people assume that General Mills automatically infringed on Fremantle's copyright without having any proof to back it up.  I can't prove they didn't, but, innocent until proven guilty...

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 12:37:27 PM »

CaseyGV wrote:
My point is - comparing failed products to unlawful use of someone else's copyrighted material isn't a valid comparison.  Both are stupid yes, but each have far different consequences.

Okay, then... forget about those first two I mentioned, but leave in Buchwald and add on Apple v. Apple, the "Ghostbusters" case, and a multitude of others.  Sheesh.  :rollold:

True, we don't know whether General Mills infringed anything, or whether that display was even their idea.  (It was probably their advertising agency.)  But the only other real alternative was that they licensed the right to make a display with a vague similarity to the Price is Right trade dress, but without actually referencing The Price is Right in any way.  That seems rather unlikely.

Offline pricefan3376

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 03:53:15 PM »
The logo may be a trademark, but what about the font?

Offline Sciontist

• Outside in Line
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »
Here is a closer look at some elements from the General Mills website:
newbielink:http://generalmills.eprize.net/cashforclass/ [nonactive]

This looks like blatant copying... i.e. the dollar sign and font are almost exactly the same.  Definitely not an honest mistake.
Somebody get the lawyers on the phone!