Author Topic: Angry, but not suprising news....  (Read 9858 times)

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Angry, but not suprising news....
« on: August 07, 2007, 08:27:33 AM »
Remember when one of our site members, Madonna, said there may be no copyrighted videos on YouTube in the fall?  Well I checked YouTube's bulletin and it DOES confirm that all copyrighted videos will be plucked from the website next month. This is pretty much expected as Sony and other companies are following Viacom by getting the copyrights to all of its shows.  YouTube may just rename it the Home Video Channel. :?

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: Angry, but not suprising news....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 08:54:09 AM »
Which is, perhaps, what it was intended to be all along. It clearly states "no copyrighted material," yet tons of people think that rule doesn't apply to them so they put up copyrighted stuff like there's no tomorrow.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline shellgame69

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 09:09:03 AM »
Which leads to believe, politely speaking, that those  posters had an IQ of mashed potatoes. :?

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 09:41:16 AM »

shellgame69 wrote:
Which leads to believe, politely speaking, that those  posters had an IQ of mashed potatoes. :?

I don't think it was dumb for posters to do what YouTube was letting them get away with.  One of my favorite channels (with old news clips and promos, not even full shows) disappeared without warning a couple of weeks ago... I'm expecting more of them to go away in the near future.

Given that it was all ostensibly illegal, I'm just glad for the stuff I was able to see while they were turning a blind eye to it.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »
I hope that they don't remove my TPiR highlight packages and tributes; otherwise, I may file a protest.  :-x  :-x  :-x

If YouTube wants me to remove something, they can gladly tell me and I'll remove it.  However, I usually put in a disclaimer in all my TPiR clips that acknowledges any copyrights; usually, I'm very careful about not posting "whole" shows and stuff like that.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Online FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 11:40:31 AM »
I'm glad I have my two videos saved on my 8-gig USB drive.  You guys know how popular the audition tape video has become, right?
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Franc

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Let Me Be Franc!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 12:13:54 PM »
So you guys know what that means ...

http://www.saveyoutube.com/

Just put the URL from the video you like on youtube, and save it. You can then add a .flv to the name and view it with VLC Video Player.

Or, there are thousands of ways to save them ...

So hustle up before it's too late! ;)

Offline pricefan3376

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 12:23:23 PM »
Well this stinks.  Looks like all of my playlists are going bye-bye.  One of my favorite channels has just gone away (I miss you TVnewsman!), and almost all of the vintage Muppet clips I have are gone.

Online FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 12:57:32 PM »
Lucky for me I downloaded a program that lets me convert YouTube videos, it's called YouTube Downloader
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »
Also the site DailyMotion has videos that were once removed from YouTube but someone else downloaded them from YouTube prior to their removal and uploaded them on DailyMotion.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline TPIRFan1986

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 02:13:39 PM »
Wait a minute...is CBS a part of Viacom anymore? Does that mean when the changes take effect, the TPiR videos will disappear?
Season 41...
TPIRFan1986's Season 41 DSW Counter: 2
TPIRFan1986's Double Overbid Counter: 5

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 03:36:40 PM »
CBS is no longer part of Viacom. But if anyone has the authority to remove any Price videos, it's FremantleMedia.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline TPIRFan1986

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »
OK, I understand--but why does Sony want copyrighted stuff taken off YouTube now?
Season 41...
TPIRFan1986's Season 41 DSW Counter: 2
TPIRFan1986's Double Overbid Counter: 5

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 03:54:54 PM »
And watch YouTube's audience disintegrate ...

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 04:19:50 PM »

TPIRFan1986 wrote:
OK, I understand--but why does Sony want copyrighted stuff taken off YouTube now?

I think you answered your own question... because it's copyrighted.

starcade wrote:
And watch YouTube's audience disintegrate ...

Don't blame YouTube... they held off as long as they could.  They're now facing multi-million dollar lawsuits for which they have no real defense.  When copyright owners insist that all copyrighted material be removed, YouTube can't very well respond, "Well, we don't wanna."