Author Topic: "What did you tell Stan" thread  (Read 5141 times)

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
"What did you tell Stan" thread
« on: August 15, 2007, 08:14:25 PM »
This is for anyone.  If you were/weren't a contestant on the show.  What did you say to the big guy himself during the interview?  In reflection, how did you feel you did?

"Hi Michael!!  Where are you from?
My answer: Albany, OH, which is roughly the size of this studio audience (trying to be funny, but prob. struck out with this)

"What do you do?"
I just graduated from Ohio University with a degree in Education?

"Nice.  What do you plan on doing with that?"
(after several pauses).  Not entirely sure.......guess I'm gonna be the next Kindergarten Cop! *insert goofy smile(crash and burn--this was a bad joke I felt)

"Good luck copping!" (huh??)

I felt like I did decent, but I was really nervous and my humor was lame.  I had been waiting for this interview for a really long time.  I would've been better off being clueless about the whole interviewing process

Offline pbarrett

• 6/15/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: "What did you tell Stan" thread
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 08:28:48 PM »
When Stan asked me.....

"Hi  Philip! Where are your from and what do you do?"....

I said: "I'm from Sunny Tampa, FL & I am a TV director & full time fan of the Price is Right" ...
everyone then cheared me on and then Stan asked....

"Do you still have a job? (in refrance to me being in line 5 days)

I said, "Yes sir"
- we are all loaded with excitment that day, at that point I could not read him at all, but considering all I had a great feeling.

Phil Barrett

Online mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 08:30:48 PM »
First time - a Million Dollar Spectacular...
"Hi Tony!"
"Hi Stan!"

"Where are you from?"
Well, nowhere really - I'm an oil brat... but I call home Baton Rouge, Louisiana..

"What do you do in BA-TON-ROOOUGGGE?"
I'm a student majoring in Political Science. Stan, I actually left my fiancee at home today in Baton Rouge, because she didn't want to come, and she has been calling and yelling at me the entire time I've been out here."

I don't remember what he said, but it wasn't a good reaction.

{END INTERVIEW}

Second time - regular show towards the end of Bob's run:
"Hi Tony!!"
"Hi Stan!"

"Where are you from?"
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

"BA-TON-ROOOUUGGEEEE... What do you do?"
I work for Louisiana State University as a Communication Facilitator for deaf and hard of hearing students during the day, go to law school at Southern University at night, and in my spare time, I'm America's Ladies' Man.

:Nice hearty laugh from the other people in line:
"::laughs:: What makes you America's Ladies' Man?"
(this is where I screw up; rather than brushing the comment off by saying, "oh just look at all these ladies - they all know me and love me, so I must be..." I said...) "I was on a reality show a few years back and made from a geek into a ladies man... it seems to have worked because I have all these women crawling all over me.

"When do you get the time to watch our show?"
Tivo, Stan...

{END INTERVIEW}

Didn't get on either time.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:32:19 PM »
With a response from Philip, I feel like I'm talking to a celebrity! *lol*

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »
I've never been to a taping (and so it follows, I've never had an interview with Stan ;-) ), however, in general, I think it's not just what you say.  Nonverbal communication is stronger than verbal communication -- which is hard to capture in an internet forum.

Offline pbarrett

• 6/15/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 10:38:49 PM »
you're the best!  :)

Phil

Offline adampyl

• 5/16/07
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 11:43:42 PM »
First time:

Stan:  "Adam, where are YOU from?"
Me:  "I'm from the tiny town of Starke, FL where I'm a dentist there with my father.  I've been watching this show since I was born and I've been wanting to get out here and get on the show for 26 years.  I know all the games, and I've been watching so long, I remember all these games I have on my shirt" (I had all the retired games on the back)
Stan: "Oh, my goodness!  Well, thank you, Adam."
Then he nodded to the dude with the clipboard.

Second time:

Stan: "Hey, Adam!"
Me:  "HEY!"
Stan: "Adam, you've been here before haven't you?"
Me:  "Yep this is my 2nd time."
Stan: "Uh-huh.  When did you come out here before?"
Me:  "Hmm.. January"
Stan: "OK!  Well tell me again what you do."
Me:  "I'm a recent graduate of the Univ. of FL--the same school as Rich Fields."
Stan:  "Realllllly?"
Me:  "Yeah!  I've been waiting 26 years to come out here and......"
Stan:  "Wait.. refresh my memory, what was your major in school?"
Me:  "Dentistry"
Stan:  Whoa.. yeah..  well at least you won't have to deal with people spitting up blood today, Adam.
Me:  "Nope!"
Stan: "Thank you, Adam!"

That was a MUCH better show to be on than the first one anyway.  At 5PM and $18,901 later, I walked out of Bob Barker Studio an extremely happy man :).

Offline dm

• Walking the Golden Road
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 06:31:06 AM »
Here was mine, and you can see how old it is.

"Hi, Phil! My name is Dave and I work in radio."

"I love radio!"

End of conversation. Needless to say I didn't get on that day in 1986.

Offline vozdanoite

• 6/15/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 12:21:24 PM »
the first 2 times i was so nervous, and i barely was able to get out what my job was...

the third time, and the time i got onto the show, i don't remember exactly what i said, but i do remember what my wonderful fiance said...

stan asked him the usual questions and he said
"i'm Patrick, but i don't matter. i'm only here today for my girlfriend Katrina. she gets sad sometimes and the price is right is what makes her happy. i just want her to be happy.."
then pat's eyes started to kinda water...so i burst into tears, and i couldn't even remember what my job was, i think i managed to say something about helping people (i work with developmentally disabled adults)...lol...i think maybe this kinda helped stan to pick me huh?  :)

...i also remember philip's interview, and i also remember cheering him on :)

Offline RobertSearcy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 10:16:06 PM »
Some stuff may not be 100% correct or I may have left out stuff.....I'm just going by what I remember or think I remember.

1st time:

Stan:  Robert, where are you from?
Me:  Talking Rock, GA
Stan:  What do you do?
Me:  I'm the tech support guy for a well known site where all we do is talk about The Price Is Right!
Stan:  Oooooh!  (I don't remember what else he said after that until he asked me)  Which site?
Me:  Golden-Road.net
Stan:  HEY!  I've been there many times!  What's your username?
Me:  I go by my name.
Stan:  Oh ok!  Thanks for coming out here!

2nd time:

Stan:  Hey Robert!
Me:  Hey!
Stan:  Weren't you here yesterday?
Me:  Sure was!
Stan:  Remind me where you're from!
Me:  A small town called Talking Rock, GA.
Stan:  Talking Rock?  Do the rocks really talk?
Me, after taking a few seconds to think about it:  No, contrary to popular believe, they don't!
Stan: [laughs] Oh ok!  What do you do?
Me:  I'm a tech support guy and a college student trying to get a diploma in accounting!
Stan:  Accounting?  Cool!
Me:  I'm doing that as a backup plan in case a career in TV doesn't work out.  Heck, I'd like to host The Price Is Right!
Stan:  You're one among millions who'd kill for that job!
[we both laugh]
Me:  Yeah!
Stan:  Good talking to you again!

Both days....PriceFanArmadillo (who was standing next to me both times) and I (along with a few others) were trying to decode Stan's hand signals.  Everyone that was talking about this decoding the hand signals was in the general consensus (well, except me....as I woulda been biased :lol: ) that he liked me in my interview and gave whatever the hand signal of the day was for that.  I just didn't make the final 9.

(Or at least I think that's how it's done....they take all the people they like, bunch of people gather backstage before the show and discuss which 9 should be called.  If I'm wrong....I apologize.  I can't find anything in the FAQ relating to that, and Marc deleted the old news article about how that stuff's done.)

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:32:29 PM »
Here's my intervies with Stan on March 22nd:

STAN:  Hi John!  How are you?

ME:  I'm doing very good.

STAN:  What do you do for a living?

ME:  I go to Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi

STAN:  What do you study?

ME.  I'm a History major.

STAN:  Really?

ME:  Yes, sir!

STAN:  Well, take care of yourself and keep on studying!

:-D
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
Philip Barrett wrote:
"Hi Philip! Where are your from and what do you do?"....
I said: "I'm from Sunny Tampa, FL & I am a TV director & full time fan of the Price is Right" ...
everyone then cheared me on and then Stan asked....

"Do you still have a job? (in refrance to me being in line 5 days)

I said, "Yes sir"
- we are all loaded with excitment that day, at that point I could not read him at all, but considering all I had a great feeling.

Hmm.. didn't look like you did too much in your interview... The person #1 in line for Drew's first taping (who camped out for 4 and a half days) said pretty much the same thing but didn't get picked.

As for me, I've gone through 8 interviews with Stan and still haven't figured out the formula... maybe because if he recognizes me, he asks me different questions and if he doesn't then I freeze.

As for my interviews (and my place in line each time)
- Interview 1 6/13/06 (#10): Standard what do you do and where are you from - I said I'm from Maryland and I'm a college student that schedules my classes around TPIR
- Interview 2 5/21/07 (#165): Standard what do you and where are you from - I said I'm from Maryland and I'm a pharmacy student. I spoke too fast and slurred my words though.
- Interview 3 5/22/07 (#4): Didn't remember this one well, but he asked me if I enjoyed the show yesterday and moved on.  The person before me was asked the same question and was also asked "Why are you back" and said "Because I didn't get picked" and she got picked in the first 4 of the show.
- Interview 4 5/23/07 (#1): I got asked again why was I here again, but this time at #1.  I don't remember what I said but it was something cliche about how great the line was.
- Interview 5 8/15/07 early (#26): Standard what do you  and where are you from.  The guy who before me opened up his button down shirt to reveal a shirt that said "Drew for President" and the lady behind Stan started profusely writing during my interview.  I said I was a college student and I sell drugs (because I work in a pharmacy).  By the time Stan started to interview the next person, she started text messaging on her phone so I knew it was either the guy before me or me, and it was the guy before me.
- Interview 6 8/15/07 late (#271): Remind me what you do - I think he was trying to sweep the audience in as soon as possible so I couldn't really get a word in.  The person with a sob story about how she totaled her boyfriend's car that was about 4 in front of me got picked.
- Interview 7 8/16/07 early (#41): How many times have you been here? I said this would be Lucky 7, and he comments "Oh that's nothing, you know there's people here that have been 30 or 40 tapings" to which I froze and don't know what to respond with.
- Interview 8 8/16/07 late (#201): After a bit of coaching from Willy and Josh to smile more, Stan asks everyone what do they do for fun.  I respond that I watch the Price is Right and I play poker.  

Despite this, I still haven't been picked yet - and I'll be at tomorrow's tapings so hopefully it will turn out better.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »
When I went, the girl next to me got picked.  If I remember correctly, she smiled a lot and Stan and her got into quite a bit of detail about what she did for a living.  I was extremely nervous because I had been anticipating this interview for MONTHS.  I'm horrible with eye contact, and when I'm nervous, my non-verbal gesturing is non existant.  I remember being somewhat sweaty and clammy, although the people next to me claim I did fine.  Who knows

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 02:08:31 AM »
I was #001 in line to be interviewed for the 5/15/07 taping. After reading online about contestant processing, it sounded like a long, tedious experience. But before I knew it, I had on my nametag and I was being whisked in front of Stan. It really caught me off guard, and I instantly became nervous.

Stan: HEY CODY!
Me: Hey!
Stan: Number one, huh?
Me: Numero uno! (Lame)
Stan: How long have you been waiting?
Me: A couple of days, but it was worth it. (So nervous at this point, I'm not sure exactly what I said here.)
Stan: Where are are you from, Cody?
Me: We're from Middletown, Ohio.
Stan: And what do you do?
Me: Right now I'm a student at Miami University studying broadcasting, and one day I hope to be the next Bob Barker. (Even worse)
Stan: Well, the position is open!
Me: (laughs) I know! I don't think I'm being considered, though. *goofy grin*
Stan: Well nice to have you here today!

This being my first show, and being the first person to interview, I had no idea what exactly happened during the interviewing routine. So I had nothing to base what I was going to say off of, no one to compare my story to. No body language from either of the two interviewers to study.

Kinda OT, but something funny nonetheless, as we sat on the final set of benches before entering the studio, the page standing at the front of the line asked me "How are you holding up?". I was visibly excited. "I'm ready to jump out of my skin! I can't wait to get in that studio!" I told her. "Yeah, that's how most of the #1s are," she said. Made me chuckle.

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 02:24:02 AM »
Stan: "Hi Nate! Can I call you Nate?" (seeing my nametag says Nathaniel)
Me: "Yea, Nate's fine."
Stan: "Where are you from?"
Me: "Kansas City, KS"
Stan: "What do you do?"
Me: "I'm a senior in high school at Bishop Miege in Roeland Park. I tape the show everyday so I can watch it when I get home from school!"
Stan: "Have you looked at any colleges?"
Me: "Yea, either Benedictine in Atchison or Pittsburg State in Pittsburg."
Stan: "What do you want to major in?"
Me: "Communications, though I'm not quite for sure yet."
Stan: "Well, I'm communicating with you fine now, so I think you'll do pretty well."

Stan moves on to the next person, after her saying to me,

Stan: "Are you with them (the family from Spokane I waited in line behind)?"
Me: "No, I'm separate."

Following the interviews, on our way to the holding area outside 33, a woman from the group from Utah told me she thought I'd be picked for sure. What do you know, though, in the next interview group the rest of the Utah group I waited in line in front of, and Shanna Smith, from the group, was called on down! However, she was very kind and I congratulated her after the show, shaking her hand, and she said it was great to have met me. I regret being so worried to get back to LAX, because I never got the addresses or phone numbers, emails, etc. of anyone but the people from Spokane!