Author Topic: Today's the Day!  (Read 7762 times)

Offline Crockett

• In the Audience
Re: Today's the Day!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 12:32:50 PM »
Well, after seeing the first show of Drew Carey as the host, I will have to say there is ALOT of work that needs to be done with him.  He needs ALOT of tweaking and grooming.  I don't think I have ever watched a show, where I felt nothing from the host.  He does better on the Power of 10, then he did on the show today.  I know he may get better, but I felt like it was a race against time.  I thought he was very impersonal to us viewers.  When he was taking us to a commercial, I don't think he actually looked at the camera for more than 2 seconds.  It made me feel like he was just doing the show for the studio audience, and not for the viewers too.  I am not expecting him to be like Bob, but SURELY he has watched some of the shows Bob has done, and sees that he needs to address the viewers, the audience more.  I felt like Rich was the host of the show.  He said..."Rich, show us the next item up for bids" about 3 or 4 times.  Well, isn't that your job Drew?  Don't tell the contestant about a car ahead of time, let them be surprised as the doors open.  The closing statement about helping to control the pet population was a slap in the face to Bob, IMO.  Bob ALWAYS made that statement in a very sincere and meaningful way, Drew acted like he couldn't say it fast enough, and to top it all off, it was so jumbled, if I wasn't an avid watcher, I would have had no idea what he was trying to say.  I am in no way bashing Drew, and I respect this board, and the opinions of others, so don't take me the wrong way.  I know there are millions who have watched this show for years.  Me personally, I have watched it for about 30 years, so this is just how I personally viewed his debut.  I know he should get better, only time will tell.        

Offline some734guy

• In the Audience
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 12:36:23 PM »
Bob never would have described Philips as "caplets for constipation and stuff". But I can't say I see that as a real problem, either.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »
he needs to lose a little bit of his "everyman" persona and be a little more cordial. After all, he's still a game show host, not a party host. His explanations of the games today really needed to be slower, and his commercial/prize reveal pitches more varied.
Yes, that's exactly how I feel.  I don't think he really explained on the Bonus Spin that you only get one spin, and if it doesn't go all the way around you don't get to try again.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Marc

• Executive Producer
    • Golden Road
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 12:41:06 PM »
Just a little bit of housekeeping...

I know today's a special day, so we're going to allow a little more discussion that normal.  With that though, please remember that this area of the site is to be kept spoiler-free for those who want to read but don't want to know.  Specific discussion related to today's show should be put in the recap thread later today.  General discussion about some of the changes we saw today is perfectly fine.

My thoughts later on, when I get home to see the show!   8-)

Marc

Offline Crockett

• In the Audience
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 12:43:14 PM »
Well, he's got about one the BEST jobs in the world.  It's a party place, it's always fun at TPIR.  BUT, he needs to take control of that show, in a SERIOUS manner and let everyone know that HE is in charge.  I don't mean like a stick in the mud, but laugh and cut up with the contestants and audience to a certain point.  I really don't think when he taped that show, just exactly what job he really has.  I would like to see a more business like attitude, from him, in the future shows.

Offline Shredder

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 01:00:24 PM »
That's almost what I don't want too see.  I Love the fact that as a comedian, Drew has the chance too liven things up a bit more and break the mold.  The first game played today was a perfect example too expect something different..

But I won't say more than that for fear of getting the post deleted, heh

Offline some734guy

• In the Audience
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »
I'm not crazy about his patter in the Showcase Showdown, when he tries to console the contestants before they've even lost yet. ("Well, you did already get a Jeep", etc.)

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 01:07:55 PM »
I have not seen the show yet, but I think it should be noted that this was one of the very first shows in the can. Don't bash him too bad yall.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Crockett

• In the Audience
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2007, 01:09:56 PM »
I would like to see him to take the "job" part of the show more serious.  That's what I am trying to say.  I understand that he's a comedian, and I can appreciate he's enthusiam, but you can do all of that in a professional manner.  I hope he keeps his sense of humor, but do it with style, and more people will appreciate and respect him in the future.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:13:21 PM by Crockett »

Offline smbryant

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »
First, I have not yet seen the premiere epsiode of Season 36, so as a courtesy to everyone here who hasn't seen it (be it safely ensconced in our VHS or DVR machines), I agree with Marc about keeping the spoilers to a minimum despite CBS's YouTube post and the various news reports showing video.

Second, as someone who is familiar with working with crowds as a local emcee, DJ, and actor, it is extremely nerve-wracking to perform in front of a group for the first time. The first few times, until you find your groove, you are going to talk fast, explain things (somewhat) incorrectly. This goes for even the seasoned pros. Give Drew a chance.

I'm looking forward to seeing it after I get home tonight from my own rehearsal. If I don't fall asleep first.

Offline RatGnawedCheez

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2007, 01:16:02 PM »
Well, I for one REALLY enjoyed Drew's hosting.   He was having so much fun with the show and it rubbed off on everyone in the studio.  He really knows how to make everyone feel at home.  Loved his little one-liners here and there, especially the "Ezekiel" one, which made me feel better about the non-name change for Barker's Bargain Bar.  Yes, he could stand to be a bit smoother with the formalities of the show, but that'll come over time.  Besides, people used to complain about Bob rushing the contestants too much in recent years.

The new set looks so great on TV.  The music is going to take a bit of getting used to, but they've done a good job of updating it without making it sound drastically different, and the harps are a nice touch.

The removal of MGP is a bit of a disappointment, but I guess its time had come, and at least Rich still gets to do his signoff.  Though if they're going to put the FM logo in the credit roll, they shouldn't also show the animated logo afterwards.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2007, 01:30:15 PM »
I have enjoyed Drew's hosting very much.  I feel that he interacted well with the contestants and I like how he calls the models by their first names instead of using a collective term.  The new music and set are awesome, and those elements bring a fresh new feel for the show.  Carey also introduced some great remarks and "Careyisms" that I thought were hilarious.  I am going to enjoy Price season 36 very much, and I hope that Drew does a good job hosting it.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2007, 01:32:23 PM »
Let me make this short and simple. 

Drew as host - not too bad.  He'll get better with time.
The new set - I still don't like it, but it does look a little better on TV.
The new music - not bad.  I can live with it.
The removal of Mark Goodson Productions - a sign of the end times for humanity... maybe.

Once Drew can find his groove and come up with his own standard way of explaining things, he'll be just fine.  He kind of botched the spay/neuter line at the end, but at least he said it.  I couldn't help but laugh at the Ezekiel Barker joke.  It was funny, but I just hope Bob doesn't hear it and take it the wrong way. ;-)

Offline johnnyrifle

• In the Audience
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »
A few thoughts...

The direction left a lot to be desired. The jib camera is cool, but it seemed like it couldn't find the contestant in time. If names are drawn before taping begins and seating is roughty assigned, why can't the camera at least find the contestant after his/her name is called. Drew was walking off camera, considering he has a much faster pace than Bob.

Drew is clearly having fun, and it's too bad that some slow contestants forced the second half of the show to run quicker. Bob would have had a stroke with a certain contestant, while Drew was a bit more patient and a lot more polite about it. For a bit they actually showed a contestant for more than half a second after the reveal, and hopefully that will happen more often as Drew gets a bit faster with the games.

When is the last time Bob said "Hello" to a contestant in contestant's row? Or even give them more than a nanosecond to bid?

The music sounded great, true to the original but more fun. As much as I miss the contestants appearing on stage cue. the new cue wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The part I appreciated best is that the show seemed fresh yet not afraid to poke fun at itself. Calling out the sound effects director makes me think Drew appreciates the crew, and referring to a certain Ezekial was funny. I just hope these one-liners are mixed up, and Drew's background as a comedian will come in handy here.

Was it as good as 1984-era Barker. Not yet, but it was light years better than 2007 Barker.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2007, 01:57:19 PM »
Not sure what was wrong with 2007 Barker, but we are all entitled to our own opinion........

I think the opening/closing needs to be spiced up a bit.  No excuse for flubbing up the final line.  I think this will work out, though.  Remember, PRICE has been on air for 35 years.  They aren't going to drop it at the first sign of trouble.  This show has a long legacy, and with good people in charge that know what they are doing.  Every effort will be put into place to ensure the success of the show.........