Author Topic: Why do games get retired?  (Read 7948 times)

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
Why do games get retired?
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:28:13 AM »
This may be a really stupid question, but with all the discussion of a game being retired... I was just curious WHY games get retired? I know why certain games don't get played much (Time restraints, etc), but is it more of an issue of space in the warehouse? I just never understood why they would say "We're not playing this game anymore" rather then bringing it out every once in a while as like a fresh game that we don't see in a while. Is it because they feel the casual viewer won't get it if they don't see it often? I know certain games are on hiatus because of prop parts, etc... but I would think they could eventually be fixed or redone? I just don't see the point of actually getting rid of a game. I mean I know personally I would get a big smile on my face if out of no where, On the nose was brought out or telephone game or something like that.

Any info would be great, thanks!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Why do games get retired?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »
Hit Me was retired because it was getting too confusing to contestants (basic math failed some people).

SuperBall!! was retired because it took too long and didn't drum up enough crowd reaction.

Penny Ante was just broke.

Some games were retired just because the staff didn't like them.  At least Give or Keep fell into this category.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
Some games were retired just because the staff didn't like them.  At least Give or Keep fell into this category.

Telephone Game also fit in here.  It was retired because "it was lame".
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »
Generally, three reasons.

1) too time-consuming/hard to schedule (Fortune Hunter, Superball!!)
2) lack of popularity (Give or Keep)
3) too confusing/hard to win (Mystery Price, Hit Me)

Popularity by itself doesn't seem to matter too often, but they might consider not retiring a game that is takes up too much airtime if it's a popular game.
On the flipside, Phone Home and Superball!! were both retired after the producers decided that a) they took too long and b) they didn't seem to have a big following.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
Let's not forget the shortest-lived pricing game, Professor Price, that was retired because it had nothing to do with TPIR's main concept and included general knowledge.

Also, I don't get how Give or Keep could be retired because the staff didn't like it when it lasted for nearly 18 years.

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 10:56:07 AM »
SuperBall!! was retired because it took too long and didn't drum up enough crowd reaction.

Phone Home and Superball!! were both retired after the producers decided that a) they took too long and b) they didn't seem to have a big following.

That surprises me that people didn't find Superball!! and Phone Home not having a big following...they were two of my favorites...

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 02:12:38 PM »
Quote from: actual_retail_tice
3) too confusing/hard to win (Mystery Price, Hit Me)

Kinda makes you wonder how Check Game has survived all these years... 8-)

DISCLAIMER:  Don't flame me about my comment about Check Game.  I know how to play it, and I know that G-R.net members know how to play it.  I'm just pointing out that MANY contestants get confused by playing this game.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline mikeyg33

• 11/2/2007
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • An amazing day at The Price is Right
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
Kinda makes you wonder how Check Game has survived all these years... 8-)

DISCLAIMER:  Don't flame me about my comment about Check Game.  I know how to play it, and I know that G-R.net members know how to play it.  I'm just pointing out that MANY contestants get confused by playing this game.

Good post.. There was many an episode that I saw where Bob tried to explain it to the contestant, only to have them standing there looking completely dumbfounded...

As memory serves, he explained the rules in a few different ways (early on), but in the later episodes, he pretty much stuck with the same "explanation":

You'll write a check, for an amount, which added to the price of the prize, totals $5000 to $6000....

This seemed like the most "crystal clear" explanation

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 02:22:07 PM »
Another reason why games are retired are because of mechanical reasons.  Why Penny Ante is gone and why Hurdles was retired as well.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 02:36:59 PM »
Another reason why games are retired are because of mechanical reasons.  Why Penny Ante is gone and why Hurdles was retired as well.

Add Finish Line to that list as well.

They've really retired some games this decade I really liked.  Ah well.

Quick question:  Why did Gallery Game get retired?  I haven't found an explanation for why that game got retire.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:39:18 PM by UltraPrice »

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »
That surprises me that people didn't find Superball!! and Phone Home not having a big following...they were two of my favorites...

Don't confuse the Phone Home Game with Telephone Game... they are two separate pricing games
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline PlinkoChip

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »
I don't see any reason for retiring Gallery Game; it's better than Pick-a-Number.

It's Optional never had any official reason for being retired either, but my guess is that inflation could be difficult with the options.

Some games like Range Game and Squeeze Play live on after their mechanical systems failed. I feel Finish Line and/or Hurdles could have easily been adapted to become manually operated.

And, if forgetting to mention rules could retire $uper $aver and set problems could retire those mentioned above, I'm really amazed Flip Flop still exists.  :lol: The panels have gotten stuck, the reveal has gotten stuck, the button has fallen off, and at least three times Bob forgot to mention the ability to flip and flop and/or say that flipping and flopping is wrong and each time it's been right. And that's when you don't include the cheaters.
Insert signature here.

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 03:28:51 PM »
The "mechanical failure" excuse seems like a cop out to me.  Someone had to build those props, I highly doubt they left for NASA, & there wasn't another single person in the entire state of California smart enough to fix them.  :-x The Give or Keep excuse is also highly unsatisfactory.  It had been around for a very long time, was fairly popular by the fans, had a good win percentage, was only about 5x7 foot by 1 foot-so it didn't take up too much room in the warehouse....I mean, "We just don't like it any more" :evil: :evil:  Taking too long to play--I totally understand,  maybe they could try to find a way to speed them up before trashing them.   I know that some games just dont work like Double Digits, but the gameplay was recycled into Temptation.  They need to look to these old ideas when creating new games.  Super Saver could easily be reintroduced as some sort of coupon clipper type game--use your coupons to save $1 on purchases of 4 of these products etc...

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 03:43:43 PM »
Don't confuse the Phone Home Game with Telephone Game... they are two separate pricing games

Whoops...confused I must have been...and now ashamed.... lol

What was the difference?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
Go here to see the rules for The Phone Home Game and here for Telephone Game.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:03:02 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."