Poll

Read my initial post below, then vote which format you'd like for GRECO 4.

The first format.
6 (37.5%)
The second format.
8 (50%)
Surprise me.
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: July 10, 2008, 12:06:03 PM

Author Topic: GRECO 4: Format Question [Closed]  (Read 2994 times)

Offline apeminkie

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GRECO
GRECO 4: Format Question [Closed]
« on: March 03, 2008, 01:24:43 AM »
I've been scavenging within the GRECO Forums for the past three Seasons-worth of Rulesheets in an effort to create and finalize the Rulesheet for GRECO 4 and I've become burdened with a problem.

For the first two Seasons, eliminations were basically based on the number of GRECOS (and in some cases, PATTERNS or QUESTIONS) you successfully got.
Season 1 Rulesheet:  http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=1108.0
Season 2 Rulesheet:  http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=2169.0

But for my most recent Season, a whole scoring system was created to rate you based on your successes.
Season 3 Rulesheet:  http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=4508.0

As much as I want to stick with the back-to-basics of Option A, I cannot seem to abandon my scoring system in Option B.  So, I now specifically ask the opinions of my players:

For GRECO 4, which method shall I implement for eliminating players?

Your opinions on this issue are strongly desired, and any time you spend on making your decision is appreciated...so much so that I'm willing to give out a gift to any player or reader who expresses their issue on this issue.

Ahh, don't we love a surprise?  For this future Season, GRECO T-Shirts will be especially made and awarded as prizes to my players or fans for completing certain tasks, this being one of them.  If you make a vote to the poll I posed in this Thread and supply reason for your vote in a reply post (within 120 days), then your name will be entered into the large pool formed from this and other contests.  If I randomly select your name from the pool described, you win one of those GRECO T-Shirts I described earlier!  How fun!

I don't mean to bribe anyone, but I love my contest and I love my players.  I guess I also love spending money on random causes, come to think of it.  ;-)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:48:33 AM by apeminkie »

Offline Chad1787

• In the Audience
Re: GRECO 4: Format Question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »
The double-elimination format was ok, but the first format was a lot better IMO.  The problem with the match play brackets was that every player didnt have to submit a card every week. 

The first format was more live-or-die, the strongest survives.

Offline apeminkie

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GRECO
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 01:06:03 AM »
The double-elimination format was ok, but the first format was a lot better IMO.  The problem with the match play brackets was that every player didnt have to submit a card every week. 

The first format was more live-or-die, the strongest survives.

Actually, I want to know whether you think I should keep the scoring system (1 point per space; 5 points for GRECO; 5 points for PATTERNS) or go back to the system of GRECO POINTS (each GRECO, PATTERN, or QUESTION earned a player one GRECO POINT).  ;)

The Brackets and Tournament format has been put to rest.

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:13:08 AM »
I prefer the scoring system - it actually puts some weight on picking games, whereas GRECO points were only based on completing the pattern... getting four in a row doesn't net you anything in the first format.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 07:27:07 AM »
Having only played GRECO 3, and not any other seasons, I don't have too much to say.  However, after reading the Rulesheets from the first two seasons, I think I like the current scoring system better.  I feel it really does work, and, as Volty already said, it does make the actual games picked worth something.  However, I do like the old elimination format better, which I see is making a return.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Chad1787

• In the Audience
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:18:42 AM »
Glad elimination is coming back.

As far as scoring, making the patterns worth 5 puts a whole new spin on the game and makes it more challenging. It puts more emphasis on game placement.

Offline bigwheel1991

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 11:06:54 PM »
I personaly like the first format. It makes it harder then format 2.
CSS Stats - Games Played: 3 - Points:???.?? - DSW: 1 - WSD: 0 - DOB: 0 - Lowest Score: $?????

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
Re: GRECO 4: Format Question (One Raffle Entry)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 03:46:41 PM »
I liked the second format.  Seems more game show-y. :-D
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 12:17:37 PM »
Second scoring system.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Online FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »
I prefer the second format, aka the double-elimination tournament.  It was very exciting
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 01:47:39 AM »
I prefer the most recent format used.  I like to see points given for actually picking the games correctly.  Obviously, slotting still matters, but I like the fact that someone can earn points if they screw up how they fit them onto the card.  I also like how a perfect card adds up to 100 points.  Maybe I've been in school too long, but 100 just says perfection.

Offline BuddyTom

• Double Showcase Winner
  • It says what it means.
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
I didn't play under the second format, but with the lineups the way they've been, I prefer the first format, and I have voted as such. :biggrin:
BuddyTom
CSS Host emeritus (served 2006-10)

-- Freude!

Offline Enzo Aquarius

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 05:02:17 PM »
Put me up for the second format!  :-D
CSS 2008/2009 Note-Worthy Stats - 1 QSW - 5 DSW - 23 Top-5 Wins - Top One-Day Winnings: $204,648
CSS 2007/2008 Note-Worthy Stats - 9 DSW - 37 Top-5 Wins - 3 EXACTAS! - Top One-Day Winnings: $83,874. 

A Proud Member of Team GRRR!