Author Topic: DVD episode: 11/28/73  (Read 11349 times)

Offline goodboy16

• In Contestant's Row
DVD episode: 11/28/73
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:08:17 PM »
This is a great episode!

Johnny: A fortune in fabulous prizes may go to these people today if they know when the price is right!

Debbie Gardner, COME ON DOWN!
Adrienne Checkwood, COME ON DOWN!
Parthema Kelly, COME ON DOWN! And...
Vicki Nuto, COME ON DOWN!

You are the first four contestants on TPIR! And now here's the star of TPIR, Bob Barker!

Bob enters in a grayish-blue suit and the Beauties are wearing simple pink dresses.

Bob: Oh! Thank you very much! Welcome to TPIR. I tell ya, you should see that backstage area. I could hardly get out of there. There are so many prizes back there, it is jam-packed with all kinds of goodies. And I'm going to try to give every one of those prizes away beginning with the first item up for bids on TPIR!

1. Sidney sailboat

Adrienne: $250
Vicki: $350
Debbie: $400
Parthema: $401 (following the advice of her friends Ora and Oretha)

Bob: And Parthema, I want to ask you something. What makes you think those two know any more about that boat than you do?
Parthema: (laughing) I don't know. They're my friends! (that's what it sounded like she said anyway. She's kind of hard to understand.)
Bob: What?
Parthema: I need that!
Bob: Ora, do you have a boat?
Ora: No, I don't.
Bob: Then leave Parthema alone up here, Ora!

ARP: $450! Apparently, Ora knew what she was talking about! Bob and Parthema, a stout young black woman in a dark blue pantsuit, go to the right side of door #2. Parthema puts her arms around Bob's neck and kisses him.

Bob: Now, Parthema. I think the first thing both of us had better do is apologize to Ora, don't you?
(Parthema makes a weird squealing noise, which she does throughout the show, and blows Ora a few kisses.)
Bob: Now, Parthema. Now, Parthema, you have a chance to win this prize.

The doors open to reveal A NEW CAR! Parthema squeals and kisses Bob some more.

Johnny: It's the Vega cam-back, the economy wagon that feels good when you drive it and looks good standing still. It's equipped with white-striped tires, wheel-trim rings, bumper guards, tinted glass, custom interior and power steering. It's the Vega by Chevrolet!

Bob: Now, Parthema, you've already won a boat. All you need is a car, right?
Parthema: Oh, I need this car! Oh my!

He then shows her the five price tags, which are still all the way over by door #2. From top to bottom the prices are

$2748
$2763
$2733
$2771
$2717

Prize #1: Broxodent electric toothbrush kit (marked $30)
Parthema, after checking with Ora, says false.

$23 FALSE. She's right!

Prize #2: Bulova plate wall clock (marked $32)
Parthema says false.

$25 FALSE Two choices! She gives Bob another hug!

Prize #3: Northern electric blankets (marked $77)
She sticks with false.

$77 TRUE Wrong!

Prize #4: Maytag food waste disposer (marked $99)
Parthema says true.

$99 TRUE Three choices!

They step back over to the price tags.

Bob: Parthema, you have three choices of the five price tags. Let's win that car to go with all those other prizes.
Parthema: Oh my! I got to win it! Oh!
(Ora and Oretha cheer.)
Parthema: I have three?
Bob: You have three choices. Just pick one of them though. We'll do them one at a time.

The camera gets a close-up of Ora, who is saying "The top one. Start at the top."

Parthema follows her advice and picks $2748, or as she called it "two seventy-four forty-eight". Is she right?

$2748

Bob: You're a winner! You win the car!

Parthema screams! She puts one arm around Bob's shoulder and flails the other one about wildly while bouncing, practically pulling him over! She screams "My husband can go to work!"

Bob: Yes! You've won the car, Parthema....
Parthema: This is for my husband to go to work!
Bob: And I tell ya what, after they way you've roughed me up, you're gonna have to come by to pick me up and take me to work too!

He bye-byes Parthema, who blows random kisses as she leaves.

Bob: There is one winner! Do we have another one coming up? We'll see after this.

(Ora and Oretha are shown applauding as the show goes to commercial.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob: Listen, y'know, after all the hugging that Parthema was doing  up here, I have one question; is there a chiropractor in the house? There is one, then it's safe to go on. Johnny, we need another contestant to go on though.
Johnny: Gonna get you one, Bob. Where is Debbie Marshman? COME ON DOWN, you're the next contestant on TPIR!

Debbie, who's practically in tears, take her spot next to the other Debbie and we're ready for the next item.

2. Gibson freezer

Debbie M.: $325
Adrienne: $230
Vicki: $389
Debbie G.: $350

ARP: $378. Debbie Gardner wins. She hugs Bob as they're making their way up the turntable steps.

Bob: I tell ya, this is the hugginest audience I've had here in a long time!

Debbie will be playing Grocery Game with the following products:

Eskimo Pie (6 pack)
Tootsie Roll midgees (bag)
Reddi-Wip whipped cream
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
Nabisco Dromedary corn muffin mix

Bob: Now we're going to play our Grocery Game here, Debbie. Are you married?
Debbie: No.
Bob: You're not married. Do you work?
Debbie: Yeah.
Bob: What's your job?
Debbie: I'm a medical assistant.
Bob: I'm glad you got here after Parthema. Believe me! I'm glad you did.

He explains the rules to Debbie. If she makes it to $6.75 to $7.00, she will win this fabulous dune buggy from Sand Buggy Supply! It's worth $1495!

Bob: And the way that you began to jump up and down, I know you'd love to win that fine prize, so let's do it. Which one of these things do you want to buy first?
Ora: Eight Eskimo Pies! (everyone laughs)

After trying to decide, Debbie takes Ora's advice and gets eight Eskimo Pies.

Bob: I tell ya what! I want everyone at home to know that Ora is running this whole thing now!

Each box is $0.69, eight is $5.52.

Debbie's eyes widen when she sees the total. She starts getting nervous. She picks one Worcestershire sauce at $0.43. She's up to $5.95.

She picks two bags of Tootsie Rolls. One is $0.59, two is $1.18, for a total of $7.13! OVER

Bob: Now listen, Debbie. Ora, you didn't say that, did you?
Ora: I told her to get one!
Bob: You told her to get only one. I thought so. Thank you, Debbie. (to us) If we've proved nothing else, we've proved that this audience and these contestants had better listen to Ora! After this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob: Johnny Olson, someone in this studio audience is going to end up right down here. Who is it?
Johnny: It's gonna be Kathryn Meyer! COME ON DOWN, you're the next contestant on TPIR!

Kathryn runs to contestants' row.

Bob: You came down that aisle like a sprinter. Have you ever been on a track team at any place, Kathryn.
Kathryn: No.
Bob: No. I'll bet you've been running from a lot of boys in your time.
(Kathryn just giggles and says thank you.)
Bob: You've been running after the boys? Well, you've done some running some place.
Kathryn:Umm...school, I guess.

Bob gives up and calls for the next item.

3. Magnus electronic organ

Kathryn: $510
Debbie: $440
Adrienne: $275
Vicki: $470

ARP: $400. Adrienne joins Bob at the Range Game board. The first words out of her mouth are "I hate this game!"

Bob: Adrienne has an announcement to make. What is it?
Adrienne: (embarrassed) Never mind.
Bob: No, I want you to tell me just what you said when you came up here.
Adrienne: I don't care for this game.
Bob: That's not what she said! She saw my beloved Range Game and she said "I hate this game." Now Adrienne, that is a bad attitude to go into this game with. First of all, the moment you win a beautiful prize playing this game, you'll love this game. And it's a game that a bright girl like you should be able to play very well.

She's playing for a Teledyne Packard Bell color TV console.

Our range for today is $600 to $1200.

Bob: Now the reason you say you don't like this game is it's nerve-racking. But what you must have...
Adrienne: I'm going crackers now!
Bob: Now don't go crackers until it's all over. Then you can go crackers over having won the prize.

She steps over to the board and the range finder starts moving. No sooner does it start, Adrienne screams "Now!" Bob tells her to push the button, which she does. It's at $650 to $800.

Bob: I didn't know how crackers you'd gone. You hardly let it go and get started. But you might be right, we don't know yet. What you must do though is watch this area out here and see if that price is between here and here. All right, light up the board!

$850 Not surprisingly, she loses.

Bob: Now we'll have our top winner of the day, and I imagine that's Parthema, and our runner-up back for the showcase after we have this message.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contestants not appearing onstage will the Dip 'n Mold Candle Maker from Skil-Craft!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob: If you were watching our show from the very first, I'm sure you remember Parthema here. Parthema won in our Five Price Tags game, she won that beautiful automobile. Parthema, what do you have to say about how the show is going thus far?
Parthema: Oh, I'm so happy, I'm so proud. Because my husband needs that car to go to work in. So I'm really proud. And I'm just proud to be here.
Bob: Ora says you're going to give her the boat, is that true?
Parthema: She can go fishin' with with me!

As promised, Parthema is the top winner and Adrienne is the runner-up. Here's the first showcase.

*Phone Mate answering machine, "the new appliance that answers your phone when you're home and when you're not home!"
* Trip to Scandinavia (one week trip for two, tours of Denmark, Norway and Sweden)
* five-piece American Tourister luggage ensemble
* Argus super eight movie camera and projector
* Hart his/her ski equipment
"...and this showcase can be yours if the price is right"

Parthema passes to Adrienne, who bids $2250. Here is showcase number two.

EQUESTRIENNE SHOWCASE
* 10 free riding lessons ffrom Livingston Stables
* English riding habit from Nudie's Rodeo Tailors Inc., includes riding crop
* AMC Gremlin ("...the next thing you'll need is horse power, so how 'bout this new car?')

"This showcase can be yours if the price is right!"

Parthema bids $2900.
--------------------------------------------
The Climax

Adrienne has bid $2250 and the actual retail price of her showcase is...$2928. A difference of $678.

Parthema bid $2900 on her showcase and the actual retail price is...$2796. She's over, but she starts clapping and squealing briefly until Bob clarifies that she lost. Adrienne wins!

Adrienne wins $3328!

"Bob Barker saying goodbye, everybody!"

Parthema gives Bob one last kiss before he takes Adrienne down to see her merchandise. As the credit rolls, the camera gets a shot of Ora and Oretha waving.

Thus bringing this fun show to a close. Any other DVD episodes you want me to recap?

Offline dave dorazi

• Outside in Line
Re: DVD episode: 11/28/73
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:59:31 AM »
My Name is Dave, I won the big showcase on the Bob Barker Srained Ankle episode March 23rd, 1976.
Does anyone have a cd of the entire show or a video of the show?
It would sure be great to see the show.
,My e-mail is h20david@aol.com

Offline JokerFan

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:08:38 AM »
First of all, welcome to golden-road.net.  I hope you enjoy your time here.
Second, your question might be better suited for The Talk is Right, since it has nothing to do with the episode being recapped in this thread.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:59:03 AM »
EQUESTRIENNE SHOWCASE
* 10 free riding lessons ffrom Livingston Stables (emphasis mine)
* English riding habit from Nudie's Rodeo Tailors Inc., includes riding crop
* AMC Gremlin ("...the next thing you'll need is horse power, so how 'bout this new car?')

I hope this puts to rest the notion that some seem to have that "(something) lessons" is a "new" idea of a prize. Yes, I'm not a fan of them either, but everything from Arthur Murray dance lessons to scuba lessons (in more recent years) have been offered.

Brian

Offline kassilynn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »
This was a fun episode, Parthema was a funny contestant and Ora was down right
HILAROUS !!! I jumped out of my chair, cheering right along with her when Parthema won the car in Five Price Tags, I pretended like I was in that studio audience along with all the action.  I thought Adrienne was an ungreatful contestant and I wasn't rooting for her at all, " Oh, I HATE this game ! ".  I LOVE the Range Game !  I also love the Range Game music and I didn't even get a chance to hear it because Adrienne quickly pushed this button and everyone in the audience knew she lost and I think I saw a
frown when she looking at the color tv and I saw an expression of " I don't want that
crap " on her face.  Eventhough Parthema lost the showcase round, I still found this episode to be enjoyable and I enjoyed seeing the full credit roll at the end.  I miss seeing those.
"Say whatever you want to about me, my artwork, etc, I don't really care.
If you don't want me or even like me, then I'm DAMN sure am not gonna let myself want OR
like YOU !"

^ That's my message to all you haters and people who are negative when it comes to me.