Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/29/2008  (Read 38821 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/29/2008
« on: May 29, 2008, 03:04:19 PM »
The Price is Right - May 29, 2008
Production #4354K - Taped May 12, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left
Handoff: Rachel

Models of the Day: Amber Lancaster, Tamiko Nash and Rachel Reynolds
Wearing: Stop Staring

1   Sunlite 5 pc Drum Set (A)
RONALD 2000 SARAH 5000 JEFFERY 2001 APRIL *1 ($1464)

April from Seattle, WA plays SWITCHEROO

1st Try2nd TryPrices
Honda Accord LXS (Std.,190HP, AT, Wheels, Mats, WheelLock )(T)$2 3 4[5]2$2 3 4[5]2($23,492)
(Lingo) Electronic Translator[7]9[7]9WIN
Laptop Tool Set[9]0[9]0(50)
Soccer Ball Humidifier[3]5[4]5(35)
Dessert Topping Carousel[4]0[3]0(40)
3 RIGHT1 RIGHTLOSS

2   Howard Miller Cocoa Floor Clock (T)
+Ronald 999 +Sarah 1050 +Jeffery *1401 AGASTINA 1400 ($2715)

Jeffery plays BALANCE GAME '06 for a trip to Cancun (6n @ Omni)(A)

[  46  ][1000[3000] [2000] 
[3046]LOSS

3   Park & Sun 3-in-1 Game Table (A&R)
+Ronald 400 +Sarah 401 MICHAEL 575 Agastina *580 ($587)

Agastina plays BUY OR SELL

MCF Wallace Silverplate Tea Set (R)$2025BUY$1425–600
Dimplex Carlisle Electric Fireplace (T)2099BUY1899–200–800
Diamondback 160EF Elliptical Trainer (A)3199SELL2599–600–200LOSS

SHOWDOWN #1
$587Agostina80 stay.80
1,464April  5 + 80.85Through to Showcase Round
2,785Jeffery30 + 95OV

4   2 (Infinity) Surfboards/Gold Bond Cream (R)
+Ronald 1500 +Sarah *1200 Michael 1 THERESA 9000 ($1330)
STUPID BID

Sarah plays DOUBLE PRICES for a Yamaha Upright Piano (A&T)

$4895PICK
($4895)WIN!
$3985

5   Progress Palais Chandelier (A)
+Ronald 1090 TIFFANY 599 Michael *1000 Theresa 1300 ($1042)

Michael plays CARD GAME for a Honda Civic LX (Std., 140HP, Cruise)(R)

Margin: $2000

Starting Bid:$15,000
1.5♣50015,500
2.9♦90016,400
3.K♦100017,400
PRICE$18,395
DIFF–995WIN!

Drew's price reveal was rather odd. All he said as "You win the car" as he showed the pricetag to America - which probably couldn't make it out unless the show were shot in HD (and it isn't, yet). Not one of his better reveals. You've got to read that price, Drew.

Meanwhile, this is not one of Ronald's better days. He's stuck in the Row and just moments away from banishment to the "First Four" Breakfast Club. With Mimi breathing down his neck can he make a huge comeback?

6   Mikaelian & Sons Diamond/Gold Wedding Ring (T)
+Ronald *2020 Tiffany 2520 JACOB 2000 Theresa 2400 ($2100)

Ronald escapes! He plays PICK A PAIR for an Ashley Raleigh Creek Living Room Group (R) and a Replogle Statesman Illuminated Glob (A)($5799)

(6) (Pompeiian) Olive Oil (1l)$7.99KEEPS
(2) Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away13.99
(4) (Citrucel) Supplement13.99LOSS
(1) (Listerine Whitening) Mouthwash7.99
(3) Hot Pockets (2 pk)
(5) (PIllsbury) Toaster Studel

SHOWDOWN #2
$2,100Ronald55 +    5.60
6,265Sarah30 + 100OV(Puny 2nd Spin)
19,437Michael95 stay.95Through to Showcase Round

SHOWCASE ROUND
Michael has the honor.

SC1-April Aico Tresor Dining Group
Noritake Aria Dinnerware/Stemware
"It's It" Ice Cream Sandwiches (1200)(T)
Beachcomber Hot Tub (A)
BID$15,500
PRICE17,413
DIFF–1,913
TOTAL$18,956
SC2-Michael WHAT TRUDY THE TRUCKER REALLY WANTS OUT OF LIFE (R)
Trip to Shannon, IRE (Aer Lingus; 6n)
30" Stainless Gas Range(T)
Sanibel 18' Sailboat (A)
BID$25,000
PRICE31,851
DIFF–6,851

Today's Pricing Games: 2 for 6
Total Winnings: $50,130

BTW: has it been made clear that Million Dollar Password breaks at 8/7 pm Sunday?

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 02:51:05 PM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/29/2008
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:10:55 PM »
According to voltie in the chat today, after card game was won, jeffery made a victory lap around the audience and stopped to thank voltie again and all that got edited. Also voltie said they were trying their best to keep him off camera but I did spot him a few times. 

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:12:15 PM »
Sorta odd show today, several bizarre moments that's for sure esp. with Card Game.

Switcheroo: Yay!!! Hey, at least it wasn't another wipeout like we've seen the last few times out.

Card Game: That final price reveal was just awful. Drew ya gotta state the ARP and difference rather than just say "you win the car" and hold out the pricetag. In my opinion this was Drew's worst mistake as host thus far.

Pick-a-Pair: Despite the presence of the medicinal products this really should have been won.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:14:09 PM »
Wow, Michael had to be one of the most enthusiastic contestants I've seen since Jaimal Ware! Did anyone see his reaction to winning Card Game? Hilarious! Also, I too noticed that Drew didn't say the price of the car in Card Game as well (he just showed the card), but Bart E. didn't even make an effort to try to get a camera shot of the price tag so the viewers could at least see the price.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »
I'm no expert on SPs, but when I have 3 right on the first time, I'd just leave all of the prices alone. I mean, without getting into all of the things like "The translator couldn't possibly be $39", there's a 3/5 chance you won the car.

Not sure why I'm saying all this, since she didn't switch the car around, but she still didn't win it.  :P

$3,000? I figured he lost, but I was thinking $5,000....I'm booking a trip to Cancun.

When I saw the Buy or Sell tote board, I saw a couple of dashes on it. I was thinking, "Watch him say it's broken". Sure enough....but then, you could see a negative sign on it during the game, so I don't know....

Anyone keeping stats on "Alakazam"'s win/loss record? (If anyone says, "Threeve", I will punch their board.  :P)

That has got to be one of the worst price reveals I've seen in a long time. Maybe Drew was building on the fact that Michael said he didn't want to draw a thousand. Or maybe there was an edit.

Was it just me, or was Pick a Pair set up for a win? (More than usual, I mean.  :P)

Did I hear Michael right when he said, "I can't pass this", when the range was revealed in his showcase. Just kind of seems like sort of an.....I don't know, ungracious thing to say, I guess.

I think he was a little bit upset about not sticking with $30,000.  :P

EDIT:
Pick-a-Pair: Despite the presence of the medicinal products this really should have been won.

But, doesn't that usually make it easier? I know that they can vary in price, but I would have thought that Ronald would have kept the higher price, since usually it's easier to find the higher prices and the lower prices. (Phone Home Game strategy?  :-P)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:20:00 PM by Punchboard91 »

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 03:18:59 PM »
Price reveal or not, it sounds as though Michael's reaction more than made up for the gaffe.

Brian

Offline res0xn12

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 03:19:21 PM »
I think today's show was a little odd myself. 

I found Card Game's playing and reveal odd.... Didn't anyone else catch Drew and Michael on the turntable and then on the floor?  Also, what's up with the odd ARP reveal????  I found that weird.

It was an okay show.  I guess  :clipboard: is probably very happy today.

Online Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:20:34 PM »
Switcheroo: I thought the 3 was the number that belonged to the car.  I was wrong.  I didn't expect the nine to belong there.  Tough loss for April---I thought she had that in the bag.  And today's setup I found rather hard by the way.

Balance Game: I went with Jeffery's hunch and we both blew it.  The NWA package threw me and Jeffrey off, big time.

Buy or Sell: I went SELL/BUY/SELL.  The second prize was tough by the way.  Is this the first time all 3 prizes were all SELLs?

One bid 4: Theresa, $9000 for surfboards?!!!!   :headbang:

Double Prices: Most of us in chat were screaming $4895.

Card Game: I'm happy Michael won the car, I'm not happy how Drew did the reveal of the ARP.  Add some suspense Drew.

Pick A Pair: Oh great another loss.......enough said.

Showcases: Gosh Michael took forever to get his bid in for his showcase.  He thought about $30,000, but went back to $25,000.  I felt that he should've kept with the $30,000.  I really don't want to be bashed here, but his reaction to the ARP I found unacceptable.  He was screaming at some of his peeps in the audience because they had him change his bid. 
April I felt made a decent bid and I was glad she won her showcase to make up from a hard Switcheroo playing earlier.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:26:24 PM by Richie »

Offline Voltron291

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 03:21:09 PM »
My 6th Trip to TPIR Trip report Part 1 – Airs 5/29/08

After 5 trips to Hollywood to see TPIR 18 times in studio, I had finally convinced my mom and my aunt to finally tag along with me on a trip to the show after bribing them with Dancing With the Stars tickets.  I had told them about how much fun TPIR tapings were, and they wanted to see for themselves.

Since we wanted to try to be on camera as much as possible even if none of us did get called, we camped out since 10 the night before to secure priority numbers 1, 2, and 3 – based on the seating arrangement of the studio, we should’ve gotten front row seats on the right aisle.  The next group arrived at midnight, and then Michael’s group and April’s group arrived around 2 AM.  Nobody else arrived until about 3 hours later, so in the mean time, those of us in line had time to acquaint ourselves – and with me being the “know-it-all” of the group, we basically formed one big group, and they all made a pact to look for me in the audience should they need assistance if they should get called as a contestant, and if one of us wins the showcase that we’d go up on stage.  On the lot, I had also taken the opportunity to get to know the first 50 or so people in line as well, including Jeffrey who had recognized me as the guy that ran on stage with the first $1,000,000 winner.

After several hours of waiting on benches, getting contestant cards, and nametags, it’s time for the contestant interviews.  When Stan recognized me as #1 in line, he was kind of surprised to see me there.  I was asked what’s the best part about being in line all night and I mentioned that I enjoyed being in line to meet a bunch of great people that I wouldn’t have otherwise.  After watching everyone else in our “group” get interviewed, I was sure that at least two of us would get called – and sure enough 2 from our group did get called, although they were not the two I had projected would be picked.

The last set of benches yielded a 2 hour wait because we were in the first group.  About 5 minutes before going into the studio, I was told by the head page that my family and I cannot sit in the front.  We questioned why and he couldn’t tell us why because he didn’t know.  This made my mom furious that we waited in line the whole time and only to get seated in the back.  We try to protest to the page that we stayed in line to be #1, 2, and 3 to get the front row seats and we deserve them because of that, but we were told that they could “compromise” and give us seats 5 rows back if I didn’t shout out the answers.  By the time we’re told this, we’re already being whisked into the studio, and being led to a 5th row seat, which angered my mom.  We tried to protest by trying to talk to someone from guest relations or the production staff, but unfortunately they weren’t accommodating us because “They’re in a meeting.”  By this point Roger tells the page (Roger can’t talk to us directly before the show because that could bring up an S&P issue) to offer us seats in front of Rich’s podium which he thinks are better seats, but obviously we’re not going to stand for that.  Eventually it gets to a point where the page tells us Syd Vinnedge said we can’t sit in the front, and at that point I know it’s over and we’re stuck where we are in the 4th row.  My mom is now visibly angry over this turn of events, now claiming the show is fixed because they don’t want me in the front AND they don’t want me to shout out the answers.  Unfortunately, it was either comply with what they told me or get kicked out, so I put on a fake smile for the show and tried to enjoy it, while my mom stewed over it for the entire show, not even getting up when Drew came through the doors at the beginning of the show.

The show however, was actually a fairly good show, despite the losses, but clearly I was in not in the right frame of mind to enjoy the show – I just wanted to help whoever out of our group would get picked win some stuff by using hand signals since they didn’t tell me not to do that.  I also tried to be sneaky about the hand signals because I didn’t want to get moved back like I did on one of the MDS’s a few months ago.

Switcheroo:  Yay! My favorite game and I finally got to see it in studio! I signal to April’s group a “5” should go in the price of the car – I thought she had 5 right on the first try, but unfortunately that wasn’t an easy setup.  They had to re-tape Rachel revealing the prices during the stopdown for some reason.

Balance Game: Jeffrey gets on stage and I signal for $4,046, but unfortunately I didn’t notice that was an NWA vacation, so it was cheaper than I thought it would be.  By this point, both contestants I met in line have gotten on stage and had lost their pricing games.

IUFB 3: Two overbids were edited out – I was hoping to go for the trifecta and get 3 contestants I know in the showcase showdown, but unfortunately he got $5-upped.

Buy or Sell: There was a 20-minute stopdown before this segment because they couldn’t get the readout to work – which is why Drew mentioned the readout didn’t work.  However, during the game the readout actually worked! After this game there was a 15-minute stopdown to decide whether to keep the readout in the show and have Drew mention that he didn’t know the readout actually did work when he was told it didn’t or they would completely edit out the readout working.  I guess they picked that they would completely edit out the readout working. Confused yet? We were all just as confused when Drew mentioned to the audience what they were going to do with that segment.

SCSD 1: April advances and I know I’ll have at least one person in the showcase from our group – and a chance to run on stage again.

IUFB 4: Yeah, I laughed when Theresa bid $9000 too.  Turns out those surfboards were a bit more than I thought.

Double Prices: Easy setup.

IUFB 5: You can see that they tried to keep me out of the camera shot during Tiffany’s come on down – I was just a row in front of Tiffany on the aisle.  I knew this Chandelier was $10xx, so that’s what I signaled to Michael.  He thought he got $1-upped by Ronald though, which is the reason for the delayed reaction because he thought there was no way he could’ve won.

Card Game: I had seriously hoped he wouldn’t draw a $1000 card because I had only seen the car on the show once before this taping – and it was around $18,000 – which is what I signaled to Michael.  You can see when he says $24,000 the next thing he whispers is $18,000 – which meant that he got my hand signal.  By the time he gets to $17,400 I signal to stop, which he does and wins the car which was $18,395. I don’t think Drew actually said what the price of the car was, and I’m SO glad he didn’t draw another card because if it in fact was a 10, he would’ve been over by a painful $5.

After Michael had won the car, he had taken a victory lap around the audience ala Jaimal (jimlange) from the 2/20/08 show.  When he sat down to fill out the paperwork, the reality of wining an $18,395 car really hit home and he bawled like a baby for about a minute.  My mom did the same too – and I explained this is exactly why I go see the show – to see other people’s lives change before my eyes.  Michael talked to Drew during the stopdown about how he was unemployed and was considering joining the military.

Pick A Pair: I thought this was an easy setup because all of the pairs of products had more than a $5 difference between each other ($2.49, $7.99 and $13.99).

SCSD 2: Michael advances and after he wins, April goes up there to congratulate him because they’re both in the showcase!  With 2 people from our extended group in the showcase, it’s now up to me to either cost the show both showcases, or at least make sure there isn’t a Double Overbid. 

Showcases: After I see the furniture, I know Michael is going to pass, and I signal to April’s group to bid $17,200 – she ends up bidding $15,500 which I thought wasn’t too bad.  However, during the 2nd showcase, someone from the producer’s table gets up and blocked my view of the turntable so that I couldn’t see Michael and Michael couldn’t find me in the audience.  Instead, I signal to Michael’s group in the front row to bid $30,000, and at which point my mom tells me that every last person at the producer’s table was looking directly at me while I was trying to signal.  I looked back angrily at them and they all turned away.  Unfortunately, Michael changed his bid to $25,000 at the last second and I knew he wasn’t going to win at that point.  I was bit disappointed when they revealed the ARP's and Michael would've won if he had stuck with $30,000, but I was still happy for April since she had already lost her pricing game and Michael had already won a car.  When April won the showcase, she actually wanted me to run on stage, but with the events of what happened I didn’t want to risk being barred from the studio again so I thought the better of it. 

While this was a fun taping to be a part of and help people I knew to win some great prizes, I walked out of this taping with a bitter taste in my mouth – more so because my family had to be subjected to it.  It really gave them a bad impression of the show and I get mocked on a daily basis for even watching the show because they don’t like that I’m treated this way when I go to the studio.  Unfortunately it doesn’t end here, as the next taping I attended turned out to be even worse than I could’ve expected.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:26:14 PM by Voltron291 »

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
Didn't anyone else catch Drew and Michael on the turntable and then on the floor? 

....I do remember that. And I remember thinking, "What car game is left for the turntable", but I think I was just thinking about how it was another Honda that I didn't even notice them move locations.  :P

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 03:33:18 PM »
Agastina really had no clue what she was doing during Buy Or Sell. I find it hard to "buy" (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun) that she knew how to play, since she seemed to have no clue as to what she was doing.

Theresa reminded me so much of Ila back in the early 90's who bid the exact same price on 2 surfboards. Theresa seemed so sure of her bid too.

Michael was interesting. He played Card Game well, but when it came to the showcases, it seemed like he could care less. It was funny how he said "I have to bid" during the second showcase to whoever he was talking to in the audience. I wonder if the person in the audience he was talking to thought he could pass back.

I have to agree, Drew did handle the price reveal during Card Game pretty badly. The price needs to be read.

Offline phunguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No, Not THAT!?
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »
"Theresa, $9000 for surfboards?!!!!"

:headbang:

Everybody's thoughts, exactly.
Creator of the EVERLASTING DOBSTOPPERTM Award as certified by Yahoo! search.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 03:42:49 PM »
Second time in the history of TPIR that an old lady has bid $9000 on a pair of surfboards.

And what's this Million Dollar Password that you speak of, Joe?  :D
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »
Just plain awful, Volty. I'm torn between reading your recap tomorrow... :(

Glad to hear Michael got to enjoy his car, despite his last-second SC loss. Somehow I figured a laptop kit wouldn't be $90 and 50 sounded much better for a SP, so I won Switcheroo...

B
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Pikachu732001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Big Ones anyone? Anyone?
    • Howard Salwasser's Bracket Watch
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »
SWITCHEROO: I guess leaving the price of the Honda alone was a bad choice.

BALANCE GAME: Cancun ain't that expensive Jeffrey. Even I figured it out.

BUY OR SELL: Sell/Buy/Sell were my choices.

IUFB 4: $9000 for surfboards? A  contestants row to top all contestants row .

DOUBLE PRICES: That was a tricky setup that I(and Sarah) were able to solve.

CARD GAME: That was a....how should I put this? Oh yeah....dreadful reveal there.

PICK-A-PAIR: Should not have been lost.

Showcases:

April's Showcase: (15,000) 2413
:frbs: : (21,000) 10,851

Lucky $even index: 5/7
2015-16 Big One Tracker: 65(3 PRIMETIME & 2 WIPEOUTS)
2016-17 Big One Tracker: 60
2017-18 Big One Tracker: 11

We need more trailers.