Author Topic: Who Wants To Be A millionaire Changes  (Read 8861 times)

Offline ABBA

• Walking the Golden Road
Who Wants To Be A millionaire Changes
« on: August 19, 2008, 11:51:03 PM »
The second story on this website has some Millionaire changes for next season. Thoughts? http://buzzerblog.com/

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
Re: Who Wants To Be A millionaire Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:59:35 PM »
Taking away 50:50 wasn't that good of an idea.  However, taking away Switch the Question and adding Double Dip is a change I don't mind.  I'm not sure what to think of regarding the time limit.  Answering questions doesn't need to be as rushed as, for example, pricing games on The Price is Right.  I guess I'll have to see the show to make my judgment about it.  One question though:  What happens if they take too much time in regards to ending the game?  In other words, do they go back down to either $0/$1,000/$25,000 or is it similar to walking away?

Offline ABBA

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:02:16 AM »
I think if the clock runs out, they take what they won till that point and they don't go down.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »
That is correct.  If time runs out, it's considered the same as "walking away".
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:29:27 AM »
I dunno'.  On one hand, speeding up the actual gameplay seems like it would be good for, well, the actual game.  But on the other hand, the endless chitchat is kinda' what makes Millionaire, well, Millionaire.  It'll definitely have a different feel next season, anyway.

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:07:51 AM »
Another thread on pointless and inadviseable gameshow changes...did Dismantle buy out all the gameshow franchises out there?

On the plus side, new graphics and some new music from Keith & Matthew.  I shot off an email to them this morning about that, so maybe we'll get copies of new cues into circulation before too long.
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »
We'll know how well these changes work out by the ratings. I don't think people are going to like the idea of rushing the contestants....however I LOVE the time banking for the million dollar question.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »
Well, I can see why they got rid of 50:50.  With the addition of Double Dip, it eliminates the possibility of giving the contestant a free answer.  And I really didn't like Switch the Question, so I'm glad to see that gone.

I like that the contestant has time banking for the million dollar question.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline tnpir4000

• Double Showcase Winner
  • BAZINGA!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »
See this is what I don't get...with modern post-production editing capabilities, one would hardly need to trim down WWTBAM by instituting time limits.

Under the old ways they gave players as much time as they wanted to think, which meant the player could think all of their options through very carefully.  We at home got to see this, and in the latter questions it always added to the suspense.  The first five questions, according to producer Michal Davies, weren't meant to be trivia questions as much as they were meant to make a contestant laugh and relax so they wouldn't be so tense going into the second tier; they were meant to be quickies anyway, as evidenced by the fact that a single cue plays for the entire first five questions, so I don't see why time would be necessary there either.  (Then again I can remember times when people would get caught on question #3 and walk away emptyhanded, or worse yet would use a lifeline during the first five--talk about a musical mismatch, the lighthearted first-five-questions music switching over to the suspenseful Ask the Audience or ominous Phone-a-Friend theme, but I digress).

I suppose though that the flip side is that the editors wouldn't always side with the best viewing practices when making their choices for edit points; I can think of times when a player's thinking-out-loud would seem to drag on forever, which for those with lesser attention spans might cause them to tune out--and I can't see ABC being too thrilled at that prospect.  WWTBAM's already tanked once under Regis, so I can see how its status as a once-popular primetime show relegated to daytime syndication might prompt them to be proactive in keeping it fresh.
"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you're right!"

Offline Jnelson09

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »
The time limits and the new music are the only things that bug me a bit. The rest seems okay.
In loving memory of:
Penny Ante, 1979-2002
Buy or Sell, 1992-2008
Barker's Bargain Bar, 1980-2008

Offline hobbitrjw

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 02:03:09 PM »
I don't like it! Time limits on WWTBAM = Big Mistake,the showwas always about people being able to take as long as they needed on any question without being rushed,I can see having a clock for phone a friend and ask the expert but that is as far as it goes for me.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 08:46:38 PM »
Whats this weakest link?

I don't like the idea of a time limit. I'm fine with new music as long its not the dance party music the new uk music.

I also not really a fan of them showing the question topics.

I don't think this will spice up millionaire. I think this may be the last season of millionaire

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »
Truth be told, the show jumped the shark when they got rid of the phone game and went to in-person auditions.  If you look hard enough, you'll notice that every other contestant on WWTBAM since 2002 has been a NYC area resident, a middle-aged white guy in a blue shirt, somebody involved in the entertainment industry (actor, musician, writer, etc.), or some combination of the three.

If Michael Davies wants to spice up this show, he should bring back the phone game so that we can get some real game show contestants in the Hot Seat.  I'm getting sick and tired of watching talk show guests win $1,000.  This show is not called "Who Wants to Be a Thousandaire?"
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline hobbitrjw

• In the Audience
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
I really personally think the show has lost a lot of it's appeal since it moved to syndication. and then after they changed the $32,000 level to $25,000 and added the switch the question lifeline I felt like they were changing something that was not broken to begin with. The thing is this show has everything that makes it a primetime show and not something you stick into daytime syndication,it worked much better as a 60 minute primetime show than it does now in 30 minutes. They even got rid of the Fastest finger questions which sucks too because that was what gave the show it's sense of competition as well.. I just strongly feel like ever since it's move to daytime they have done nothing but try to fix what wasn't broken in the first place.

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 03:48:09 PM »
I smell a cancellation in the future.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."