Author Topic: Green Screen  (Read 44988 times)

Offline PriceForever

• Walking the Golden Road
Green Screen
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
I am very upset about the new policy of using green screens for trips...I hope it is only temporary.

When one is in the audience, it is thrilling to see the doors open and see a big picture of the trip is there.  What will the contestant and audience see now...a big giant green screen!!!!!  Not very dramatic!!!!  And not very exciting!!!!!

Ti me it seems like a giant step backward...something (like local TV shows do) to save money.  Money doesn't have to be spent on graphics. 

Is this one of Michael Richards "improvements" to the show?????  Yikes!

Offline Season36Fan

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Green Screen
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »
This is not entirely new.  The chromakey effect was used in the past for trips in showcases (although it was over a blue tinted map which was actually shown on tv).
Let's all take a deep breath.
Wise words.

Offline Pushover72

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:00:28 PM »
I guess this horrible idea of using a greenscreen rules out showcases which are made up entirely of trips (like those "around the world"  trips).  What is the winning contestant to do at the end of the show---walk over to a giant green wall.  That will certainly look awful.

Did they think this through?  Is this a Sid V. idea?

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:12:52 PM »
Am I missing something? I don't understand where this is coming from at all....

Edit. Now I see.

Again, I think some people are blowing this out of proportion again. As long as we still see a trip graphic of some sort when the show appears on TV, this shouldn't be a huge deal.

Unless it looks bad.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:16:59 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline jediprice

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:31:12 PM »
i'd imagine this would negate the possibility of doing any kind of camera move like we're used to now, i've tried but you can't match a chroma key image to a practical camera move without movie-sized budgets, and stan's book makes it clear pir doesn't have that kind of cash

odds'll get this is what the video wall was originally meant for
"SHUT UP!  It comes from the Latin phrase 'shut,' meanin' close, and 'up' meanin' 'your mouth you IDIOT!' "
-Mad Max on "The John Boy & Billy Show" ("Mad Max Rides the Bus," heard on "LOVE YA...Mean It")

Offline nbuckler14

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »
lol, ya know I just realized, every show Drew becomes a part of, a Green Screen follows shortly after, lol
This is Nick Buckler speaking for The Price is Right, a MARK GOODSON TELEVISION PRODUCTION!!!!  (catches breath)  Stay tuned for The Old and the Reckless on most of these CBS stations!

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »
What is the winning contestant to do at the end of the show---walk over to a giant green wall.  That will certainly look awful.

So, don't wear green to the show anymore.  Or that'll look weird, not just awful.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline themountainclimber

• 9/29/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • Make it a super stretch!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »
One step closer to a video wall.......

Offline spunker88

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 02:50:51 PM »
One step closer to a video wall.......

A green screen pretty much is a virtual video wall...
Picture: 1978 Showcase Dedicated to the Dob

Offline priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 04:04:04 PM »
So, don't wear green to the show anymore.  Or that'll look weird, not just awful.

Really?  I wanna wear green out of spite and screw everything over.  Then they'll get rid of the damn thing.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 04:13:13 PM »

They're not gonna have chroma key effect on the whole show... unless you are walking in front of the screen at the time they are showing the trip on air, its not going to matter what you wear.
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline MissesJanice

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 04:22:29 PM »
Uh is this not the same effect that has been used on Clock Game since the creation of the game???

Chroma Key is nothing new to this show
"The Price is Right will never be the same, it will always be in an evolving state." - MissesJanice

Offline jediprice

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 05:19:45 PM »
i wonder what prompted this change, it doesn't make sense

is it not cheaper and easier to simply show b-roll clips and imagery like they've done for all the seasons in recent memory?  all respect to dave hallmark's abilities as TD, but i'd think it a little easier on the technical staff as well
"SHUT UP!  It comes from the Latin phrase 'shut,' meanin' close, and 'up' meanin' 'your mouth you IDIOT!' "
-Mad Max on "The John Boy & Billy Show" ("Mad Max Rides the Bus," heard on "LOVE YA...Mean It")

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
I do so enjoy watching people get all in an uproar over a perceived "new" thing that really is a quite "old" thing.... As someone else already mentioned, it's something they did in the early 70s episodes, as shown on the DVD collection. 

Offline priceisrightforever

• Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
IMO big deal. So they use a green screen. The studio has monitors, the contestants can see what they are bidding on by looking at them. As long as they are using the green screen for trips instead of using them to show cars, then I don't see the harm.  Hey maybe they'll use the green screen for prizes such as a sea-doo and the models can pretend they are riding them on the water.
Again, no big problem with it here.