Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/22/2008 (Season 37 Opener)  (Read 48412 times)

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/22/2008 (Season 37 Opener)
« on: September 22, 2008, 03:05:34 PM »
The Price is Right - Sept. 22, 2008
"Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends. Come inside, come inside..."

Greetings. Today is Monday, September 22. 43 days until the 2008 Presidential Election (or, for you northerners, 22 days until the 2008 Canadian Federal Election). It's also the autumninuminuminal equinox, and somehow it's appropriate that we fall back to our usual morning routine at the same time. There's been a lot of discussion about changes - real and rumored. Ve got ze new producer, ve got ze green screen, ve got ze last contribution of ze Dob, ve got ze HD (where available), ve got ze splash of paint on ze joint.

In other words, nothing much has happened since Drew and the Crew took a summer siesta. Well, nappy time is over, kiddies. Someone drop the gavel and cue the herald trumpets. It's time to start...

PRICE SEASON 37

(Oh boy.)

Yes, dear friends. Much to ponder. Can Fingers keep the ship afloat now that Roger's gone? Can Syd actually implement something without us hitting him in the face? Can the models show off something that isn't really there? Will Pricing Game #103 live up to its promise? Can the show break .500 for the first time in quite a spell? Will they find someone even more foolish than Joseph? Have we left anything out? Most importantly, will you still love Price tomorrow? And (dramatic organ chord) ... what about Naomi?

The answers to these and other questions are about to be revealed. So, if you're all prepared, Mills Lane, do your duty...

"Any questions from the left side...any questions from the right side...

LET'S GET IT ON!!!!"

Production #4431K - Taped July 28, 2008

Drew: stage entrance
First Four lineup: right to left  
Handoff: Rachel

Models of the Day: Tamiko Nash, Rachel Reynolds and Brandi Sherwood
Wearing: Scala

1   Kawasaki KX100 Offroad Motorcycle (T)
DANIEL 4500 YVETTE 2000 NATHAN 3500 JASMINE *2999 ($3349)

Jasmine from San Bernardino, CA plays MOST EXPENSIVE for three cars...

Mercury Milan I4 (Std., 2.3l, Mirror, Lights, Stereo)(B)$20,285
Chevy Impala LS (Std., ALB, BlkHtr)(T)23,075
Pontiac G6 (Std., Prot)(R)PICK21,491   LOSS

...and her first insict was toward the Impala - her dream car. She didn't follow it, and now she'll never live it down. Lesson: Go with your gut.

2   Bowflex Series 7 treadmill (R)
+Daniel 1295 +Yvette 1300 +Nathan *1400 CHANELL 1200 ($1499)

Nathan, prepare thyself. IT'S THE $50,000 PL!NKO! MONDAY!!!

Free Chip(3)0R
Buffet Range8/7782
TPiR Video Game1/0020*(5)500L
Soccer Ball humidifier1/5535*(6)500LTotal
Libman Wonder Mop4/0810*(7)0R$1000LOSS

3   MacBook Air Laptop Computer (R&T)
+Daniel *1700 +Yvette 1200 CATHY 1300 Channell 1350 ($1799)

*** WORLD PREMIERE PRICING GAME ***

Daniel, a student at BYU Idaho, is the first person on the face of the planet to play GAS MONEY for a Pontiac Solstice (Std.)(B) and $10,000

THE GAME: Think of this as "5 Pricetags" meets "Deal or No Deal." There are five pricetags - one is the price of the car (denoted by a Pink Slip), the others are attached to logically-assigned money amounts from $1000 to $4000. The player initially picks out the one they believe is the price of the car. That is set aside. Then, a second pricetag is selected. If a dollar amount is revealed all is well. If the Pink Slip comes up, it's instant defeat. After each successful pick the player can stop the game and take the gas money they've revealed, but to win the car and all of the gas money all four dollar amounts must be revealed without seeing the Pink Slip.

Setup:     $23,160   $25,350   $29,675   $21,445   $19,480

1st Pick(2) $25,350
2nd Pick(5) $19,480+$3000
3rd Pick(4) $21,445+$2000
4th Pick(1) $23,160+$4000
5th Pick:(3) $29,675+$1000   WIN!

SHOWDOWN #1 (Bonus spins now worth $10,000/$25,000)
$2,564Nathan  5 + 60.65Through to Showcase Round
3,349Jasmine25 + 30.55
37,149Daniel10 + 20.30

4   Broyhill Plaza del Sol Queen Size Bed/Bemco Posture Fairfax (B)
KELLY 799 +Yvette *2495 Cathy 3000 Chanell 3050 ($2689)

Yvette, the last of the "First Four", plays SQUEEZE PLAY for a Beachcomber Hot Tub (R&T)

Setup8 5 2 7 9
Pick:$ 8 5 7 9
Price:$ 8 5 7 9   WIN!

5   Murray Amador Pool Table (B&R)
Kelly *2001 MARK 1800 Cathy 2000 Chanell 1000 ($3399)

Kelly from Barrie, Ontario plays MONEY GAME for a Dodge Journey (Std., V6, AT, Seats, Sunroof, Wheels, Conv #2, Prot)(T)

265137-590
2485-424-272
852940-526-1
$175$29 2 ––   LOSS

6   (Yard-Man) 20HP Riding Lawn Mower (T)
MARY *1200 Mark 700 Cathy 1000 Chanell 1 ($1450)

Mary, who was on the show 34 years ago, returns to play PICK A PAIR for a Magnussen Seven Oaks Dining Group and Noritake Aria Dinnerware & Paris Stemware (B)($6151)

(6) Garlique Supplement (60)$13.99
(2) Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away13.99   WIN!
(1) Hot Pockets (2 pk)
(3) (Blink) Trash Tossers
(4) (Clorox Ultimate) Bleach
(5) (Pillsbury) Toaster Streudel (4 pk)

SHOWDOWN #2
$3,574Kelly70 stay.70
7,601Mary55 + 451.00*$1000*   Bonus 10   Through to Showcase Round
11,268Yvette60 + 65OV

SHOWCASE ROUND
Mary has the honor.

SC1-Mary THE NUMBERS '3' AND '7'
Trip to San Antonio (6n)(B&R)
Trip to London (NWA Vacations; 6n)
2 Chevy Malibus LSs (Std., 2.4l, AT, Lamps, Mats)(All)
BID$50,000
PRICE52,791
DIFF–2,791
TOTAL$61,392
SC2-Nathan THE NUMBER '37'
(Sony) 37" LCD HDTV (R)
Trip to Monte Carlo (via Nice; 6n)(B)
Jayco Designeer 37" Travel Trailer (R-outside TVC)
BID$65,000
PRICE82,285
DIFF–17,285

Today's Pricing Games: 3 for 6
Total Winnings: $119,296

...and then, there were 174...or 189...or whatever.

THIS IS THE ONLY OFFICIAL GOLDEN-ROAD.net SHOW RECAP.
REPRODUCTION PROHIBITED WITHOUT AUTHOR PERMISSION.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:03:23 AM by Joe_Capitano »

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/22/2008 (Season 37 Opener)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »
My local affiliate had trouble flipping the switch...they were in SD, then when the opening title NOW IN HIGH-DEFINITION flew in, boom, we're in HD.

Okay, Most Expensive's reveal was the weakest I've seen for a game in a very long time.  Poor music cue with no vigor.

Gas Money = pure coolness.  Revealed like Pass the Buck and styled like gas pumps.  One thing is missing to make it absolutely perfect...old-style dials on the pumps to show how much money the contestant has won.

Wheel looks really good, too.

Holy crap was that a massive trailer.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »
Woo. One of the first responses to season 37.

Most Expensive: Honestly, this confused me a little. Probably because I forgot the order, but I thought she actually picked the Impala from the way the order went. I'm 100% sure I'm wrong, but my mind was just playing stupid tricks on me. Still, I too would have picked the Pontiac and would have failed.

Plinko: I think this is the first time in awhile somebody got confused about Plinko, especially with the fans' love for it now a days. Still, not that surprising they started off with it for the premiere.

Gas Money: I think this will be a good game. I finally got it after a bit of thinking, and it actually works pretty well. I like the new sound effect as well.

Squeeze Play: Nothing to say, and I think it was a pretty easy one.

Money Game: I think that car may have been seriously inflated with features, because we talked about how in the chat that it's base value is only about 20k. And, the 37 seemed especially obscure, even for the obscure numbers.

Pick A Pair: Easy as well. The contestant was a great one as well. Was she the first ever returner to the show?

SCSD 2: We dug pretty early it seemed. Good stuff. :)

SC: Out...door...prizes. That's amazing. Plus nobody had a freakin' clue on it in chat, so that made it fun for a lot of us.

Great first episode, I say. :)
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:20:12 PM »
Well, after the Dob was discharged in July, this season is one to be cautiously optimistic about.  We know that a green screen and purple wheel are coming, but other changes we don't know about may still be lurking in the shadows.

It's nice to see Drew again on first-run shows.  I loved how Rich and Drew acknowledged the fact that the daytime show is not broadcast in HD.  The MDS set looks pretty good in daytime, but I was disappointed to see the GPT still have the hypocycloids, and I preferred the TPIR logo on the turntable wall instead of just the silver dollar sign.  Also, it is kind of a letdown that the showcase podiums were not updated.  Does anyone know if the Clam still has hypocycloids or not?

When I didn't see one of the Most Expensive pylons behind the Mercury Milan, I thought they changed Triple Play's reveal and were playing for some budget-busting cars for that game.  When Drew said "pick out the most expensive car", I was kind of let down, but it's nice to see Most Expensive get played for three cars again.

It really stinks that Jasmine didn't pick her dream car, the Chevrolet Impala, and lost.

I don't say this often, but I found it refreshing to see Plinko first-run again. :-)

Gas Money is awesome, the gameplay is fun to watch.  It really sets in temptation, with the choice of taking a sure $9,000 or trying to win a car and $10,000.  I also like the challenge it presents. I like that they stage the game a la Pass the Buck, with the car behind the Race Game curtain.  I love the bell sound effects, how they sound like when a car pulled into a gas station in the old days. 

The big wheel looks pretty nice, updated for the first time in 20 years.  Although, I don't really like how the Pricedown dollar sign is affixed to the wall instead of it being painted over the orange checkerboard squares.  Also, it just feels like something's not right when the post holding up the scoreboard is MIA.

I do like how Bart is directing the split-screen nowadays, it kind of stays up there like Breslow and Alter used to do it.

I totally fell out of my chair when 37 was revealed to be the last two numbers of the car in Money Game, it stinks, that after the Roger lineups run out, that probably won't happen again.  By that, I mean 37 up in the "Rose Marie" spot and/or it being the correct choice for the last two numbers a low number of times.

Kelly was fun to watch, and it was a darn shame she lost Money Game.

Speaking of Money Game, it looks like they changed the SUV graphic from a Ford Explorer to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

It's cool that Mary was a contestant 34 years ago and came back on, and won $1,000 as well as some other prizes.  I should also note, this was the first time she was at the show and actually got to spin the Big Wheel! 

Well, for the first time since Season 35, more than one car was offered in a single showcase.  Also, it marks the debut of the new Chevrolet Malibu being offered on the show, and that car is pretty good-looking.

I wonder if Roger was still in the producer's chair, if the trailer would have been staged in the studio instead of outside Television City.  For me, the jury's out on staging large prizes outside the studio.  On one hand, the backstage crew doesn't have to take the time to haul in large prizes, requiring a potential stop-down, and more costs to the production of the show.  On the other, it seems so empty to have the door open, but no prize there and it requires the audience to look at the monitors to see what's offered.

Overall, it was a pretty good premiere, and I can't wait to see what unfurls later in the season!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:23:00 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 03:27:24 PM »
My thoughts about the new season:

The minor changes to the turntable, big doors, and the SCSD wheel are okay with me.

The increased money values for the bonus spin are okay as well.

Gas Money is a pricing game that should have a long run.

Was the big travel trailer in the 2nd showcase the first time a prize had to be shown outside?

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 03:38:10 PM »
What a great season premeire.

Tough losses on Most Expensive, Plinko, and Money Game.

Gas Money looked impressive and the game play was great. This game will last a long time. He won it easily.

Good wins on Squeeze Play and Pick-a-Pair, too.

I loved the new wheel set-up. The concept of giving away $10,000 for the green sections and $25,000 for the dollar during the bonus spin is a good concept also.

Offline mikebev25

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »
Nice start with 3 cars on the first game of the year. And I really liked Gas Money. Similar to 5PT, a great and long-lived game.

I must say the 2nd half lineup could've been better. Money game for a 29,000 car?

Those showcases were awesome. Didn't expect them to be that big.

Great to be back. I think I will warm up to Drew more this year.
Retired Games that should be brought back:
Barker's Bargain Bar, Buy or Sell, Superball!, Super Saver, Split Decision, Give or Keep, Hurdles, Penny Ante, Walk of Fame

Offline szsTPIRFOREVER

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 03:51:02 PM »
Wow! The show looks great in HD!

I was impressed with the flow of the show. Seemed a lot less abrupt and choppy in a way. Maybe, that doesn't make a lot a sense. Too bad we had to kick it off with a painful dream car loss.

Gas Money--I loved it. The game should have a long life, I will say I hope they keep the spread of the 5 prices close It should be about a 7.5/10 on the difficulty scale since there will be around $28-$30,000 up for grabs. Glad to see it won. I wasn't quite sure on the price myself.

Congrats, to Mary. If CBS could post clips of her on the show 34 years ago so we could compare, that'd be great. Will it happen...probably not. But cool idea. I guess she would be right on the cusp of contestants who didn't experience the big wheel pending when in 1974-1975 she came on down.

Offline UpsDriverMan

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »
the trailer outside TVC was quite a shock but it was great how they pulled it off, i'd like to see more of this (in the showcases only of course) in the future

Offline Heidi

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 04:01:42 PM »
Great show indeed!  

I wonder why the Most Expensive podiums weren't used, they looked fine behind the cars in the season 35 premiere.

I like Gas Money, the rules don't sound too complicated, plus it's got a cool set.

The new big wheel looks awesome, it was due for a change.  It matches the rest of the set.  I'll be waiting to see what the purple wheel looked like.

Nice shot of the travel trailer in Television City's parking lot.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »
About what I said about me being on the fence about the trailer presentation today, I guess if it has to be done, for whatever reason, then it should.  I do have to admit we probably have never seen prizes shot from outside the studio, but it looked good and was a nice surprise.  I think this should only be used for very large prizes like motorhomes and cabin cruisers.

I forgot to say this, but I was not expecting that trailer showcase to fetch over $82,000.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:06:57 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline PaladinTornado

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »
Great premiere.  Gas Money is not too bad.

Did anyone else notice the slate in front of Drew during the handoff that spoiled the first game?  I know this is the replacement of the old slate that stood by the producers' table, but it really stunk to have the first game spoiled!

Offline 3StrikesFan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »
37th YEAR!!! 37th YEAR!!! 37th YEAR!!!

I was surprised about Most Expensive today. At first, I thought it was Triple Play with a new intro. I think if they do this again, that the Most Expensive podiums need to be up. It just looks bare without them.

Gas Money was a lot of fun. I liked the game, it's vintage design, and how it was played. I really see no threat to 5 Price Tags either. The only thing I don't like is that the car should be behind Door #3. Eitherwise, the set up looks too much like Pass The Buck. Also, I see no point in the model helping out in this game. Drew can easily put the price the contestant chooses on top and move over the other ones so they line up together. This will be cool to see with more expensive cars in MDS or in special shows.

Money Game surprised me, only because I had no clue about the price of the Dodge Journey. Who'd have thought the price ended in 37? Last year when the 36 was in that place all season, it was hardly the last two digits for the car.

The showcases were fun. I enjoyed the first more than the second. I thought the shot of the trailer outside was interesting but I hope that doesn't become too permanent.

The set looks 10 times better with the MDS set than last years. I loved the new wheel and carpet... very shiny and sparkly.

The only things I disliked was that there should have been more decorations up around the set. Something on the turntable, like balloons or another 37 Years sign would have worked. Also, I know the contestants are now in the hole where they would normally have had a 37 Years sign in the audience, that's fine. Instead something hanging behind them attached to the curtains would have worked too. Also, how come no cake? A 37 Year cake would have just worked with the closing.

I hope this season continues strongly, without too many changes that would make the show unrecognizable. We'll have to wait and see.

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
Was the big travel trailer in the 2nd showcase the first time a prize had to be shown outside?

No. I remember one time long ago when they had Anitra go outside to present a (check me on this) cabin cruiser which Johnny O's script said was too big for the studio. I don't remember if this was on the daytime show, but it did happen. It's probably happened a time or two since.

Quote from: goldenroadfanatic
I wonder if Roger was still in the producer's chair, if the trailer would have been staged in the studio instead of outside Television City.

Undoubtedly, it would have. There obviously are size limits. I mean, this was a fancy 37-footer with slide-outs and everything.

Just for fun, I'd like to have seen ol" Drew snoozing away on the bed.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »
Most Expensive: She would've went with her dream car there. Why oh why Jasmine?  :evil:

Plinko: That last Plinko chip was such a tease there. On the brink of landing $10,000 and ended up landing on 0 instead.  :evil: At least Nathan got a $1,000.

Gas Money: I gotta say that this game is rather interesting. It's rather cool for a contestant to have a shot of not only the car but a maximum of $10,000 of gas money as well. I had a feeling Daniel had it there which he did.

SCSD #1: It looks like they grabbed the wheel from the Vegas shows there. By the way I wanted Jasmine or Daniel to win here.

Squeeze Play: It was either $8579 or $8529 for the hot tub. My first instinct was the same as Yvette's by taking out the 2. So we're both winners here.

Money Game: I knew 37 were the last 2 for the price of the car. A Dodge to be exact. The same amount of years that TPIR has been on now. Lol.

IUFB #6: I wanted Mark out of contestant's row there.  :evil:

Pick-A-Pair: The supplement and the wart remover were my picks as well. Pretty easy.

On a side note it's great to have another returnee on the show today. On the part of Mary.

SCSD #2: It took a $1,000 winner here to explain more on the new amounts when it comes to a bonus spin.

Showcases: That was rather neat seeing Rachel model the big huge 37" travel trailer outside TVC there. Yet it was Mary winning 2 cars today that was the big moment of this start of this new season of TPIR.

Well all I gotta say is so far so good.