Author Topic: Wanna see TPIR in Widescreen?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Wanna see TPIR in Widescreen?
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:30:17 AM »
Hey gang, since CBS proper isn't showing TPIR in 16:9 (widescreen) format for you folks would can only watch in SD (4:3), I have a really neat trick that you can use to watch television most-exciting hour in widescreen (or any HD program for that matter).  This works by picking up the OTA (over-the-air) signal, so if you don't have much luck picking up your local CBS affiliate over the air, you're out of luck.  But if you can...read on!

First, pick up one of those wonderful digital-to-analog converter boxes that everyone is pimping for the DTV transition.  Get a good antenna, too...I have one similar to this one.  Also, pick up a set of red/white/yellow composite cables too if you don't have some laying around.

Next, set it all up based on the instructions in the box for the converter.  It's best to use the composite cables for an easier setup.  Position your antenna in a good place, and turn it on.

Next, turn on the box, and turn your TV to the proper channel where your box is hooked up, and follow the instruction to tune your box.  It'll search for any signals, and take a good long time finding them.  After it's done, look for your CBS affiliate's HD signal.  Some are sending out SD and HD...make sure you get HD.  In my case, this allowed me to watch widescreen HD programming in a letterboxed SD format without any changes. If it still crops it to 4:3, go into the settings for your box and tell it to force letterboxing..that should do the trick.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
Re: Wanna see TPIR in Widescreen?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »
Or just watch the video on www.cbs.com/daytime/price.   ;-)
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 12:27:27 PM »
Or just watch the video on www.cbs.com/daytime/price.   ;-)

hehe.. but you have to admit, its not quite the same as watching it on a 50" LCD flat screen  ;)
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline PriceFan14

• Double Showcase Winner
  • COME ON DOWN!! > Thursday @ 9pm ET!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 12:35:45 PM »
I don't have/need one of those digital box thingies...I have a DVR box (HD capable, but I don't have an HDTV or HD service). Is it possible to make THAT appear in widescreen? The "light bars" as they appear in SD are really annoying....I miss the good ol' lightbox.
-->1600th Post 6/21/09!!!!!<--
**Join the party > TPiR '09 - www.pricenetwork.proboards.com!**
~ Season Finale June 25th!~

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 01:30:54 PM »
What I do is a little simpler. Although not HD, my TV does pick up digital OTA and is able to be switched between 4:3 and 16:9. So all's I need to do is disconnect my cable [truth be told, the show looks rather "dark" when I watch on cable--I might need to do this more often], hook up the rabbit ears, tune to the local affil's digital channel, switch to 16:9, and bada-boom.

If you have a newer TV that can pick up digital OTA AND can be switched between 4:3 and 16:9, this should work.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:32:44 PM by Chief-O »

Offline tpir08

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 02:07:19 PM »
Just wondering with the HD, in the showcase when they offered the "37" inch hd tv, the light border was on the top and bottom, so is it still shown on all tv's that way because the border is full online.  I don't have hd so I wouldn't know
<-- Click here to begin!

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 02:10:14 PM »
Just wondering with the HD, in the showcase when they offered the "37" inch hd tv, the light border was on the top and bottom, so is it still shown on all tv's that way because the border is full online.  I don't have hd so I wouldn't know
No, it looks like this.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Joe_Capitano

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
A proper widescreen picture should have nothing cropped off, nor should it be stretched to fill. Ever. EVER! It appears there was no widescreen feed available where the TV was displayed so they probably set the TV up in some kind of stretched mode.

Offline UpsDriverMan

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »
i cant for the life of me figure out why they arent letterboxing the SD broadcast, it just looks strange during the opening to see "light bars" as someone else put it instead of the full border