Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/25/2008  (Read 30162 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 09/25/2008
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »
Well, I guess it's just that I will miss those little touches Roger gave to each game that made it interesting, like never having the right price in Pushover be the first possible one or never placing the stopping point in That's Too Much at the first or tenth spot.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline woohookitty

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2008, 10:00:46 PM »
Drew has got to stop it with these "fancy" entrances.  It was part of the reason why I never wanted John O'Hurley as host.  I figured Drew was smart enough to not start ridiculous garbage like that, but since he has, it needs to end now.

It worked for Gene Rayburn. :) I don't have any problems with it actually. It adds a bit of humor to the show. Nothing wrong with that

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2008, 10:20:31 PM »
Alicia struck me as someone who's never seen The Price Is Right before.  Now, that's all well and good as long as the person is interested in learning about the show -- I remember one a couple years ago who turned out to be a wonderful contestant and wound up winning quite a bit -- but Alicia...I'm not really sure.  I can't even say she wanted to make a fool of herself...she just seemed out of it in general.  She made a fool of herself in Contestants' Row and gave us one of the least exciting Golden Road playings in some time.

Yay!  Roger got Coming or Going won with a 5 at the end of one of the prices! :oldlol:

I thought of something today during the Showcase.  You guys saw all that zooming that the camera did with the Greece trip skin, right?  Well, I don't know whether it's going to make a big difference or not, but once we get to the green screen episodes, they're not going to be able to do that anymore; in fact, they won't be able to move the camera at all.

Drew has got to stop it with these "fancy" entrances.

I agree.  Today's wouldn't even have been so bad if he'd just struck that pose while the doors opened and then just walked out -- but he kept doing it!  It made him look like a goof.

When did they change ½ Off's second intro cue?  That tinny piece they use now isn't what I would call an improvement.

Last year's second playing after the repeating lineups ended...and I agree, the original cue was much stronger.

I sometimes find it funny and it shows that he's in a good mood and ready to take the bull by the horns. When he does the little goofy stuff it reminds me of Gene Rayburn really when he would come through the doors on Match Game.

Do we really want the host of The Price Is Right acting like he's hosting Match Game?

GR came out of nowhere with the door entrance.  i guess the audience entrances are already a thing of the past.  how i miss thee :-(

Actually, there's only been one audience entrance (for Golden Road, granted -- but it's been played several times) since Drew took over.

I've said this in chat---I will reveal this information....I managed to talk to 2 people who went to this taping.  They told me that Golden Road was lost in a relatively stupid manner.  And they told me how Drew handled it during commercial break....he apparently let Alicia have it.

...that's another thing he shouldn't be doing.  We've all heard of a few times where Bob was (usually rightly) irked at one contestant or another, but he released his agressions by venting backstage, not by berating the contestant!  Whether it's on or off the air is totally irrelevent -- he shouldn't be doing that.

One question- Did they get rid of the "mini turntables" for the smaller prizes on Golden Road

Whether or not the coves are used generally depends upon whether they can fit the prizes in them.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
One Bid 1: "Huh? Wha? Are you serious? 'Do I pick a number higher or lower?' Whuzza? And she still made it up?!?"

Golden Road: Sure, 287 might be a convenient price for the game table, but DEFINITELY not here. Boy, I feel this segment is a sure wipeout.

Coming or Going: Ya gotta go big on a trip to Hawaii...

½ Off: Shirley's pick of 4 takes me back to that contestant who called for 4 at the start and won the Ten. I'm not saying there's a connection between the two.

One Bid 4: I just KNEW something was odd about Nancy's bid...

Balance Game: I wanted to go for the heaviest price, but was actually thinking 6213.

Pass the Buck: I was more concerned about why Nicholas passed the buck to the Hot Sauce instead of the cookies.

1 Right Price: I just had this feeling the television was going to end in either 95 or 99. I was right.

Showcases: I went with 62000 for Alicia's Showcase.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline rob79

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
-- I remember one a couple years ago who turned out to be a wonderful contestant and wound up winning quite a bit --

I do too Steve, If i'm correct the contestant's name was Brittany and she won Switch? and went on to win her Showcase as well. I also remember Bob making her promise to start watching the show every day and she said she would.

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2008, 11:42:18 PM »
Game #4 (#6,925)

Showcase #1
Bedroom - $10,598
GPS - $800
Motorcycles - $12,598

Showcase #2
Bath Tub - $4,690
Trip to Florence - $8,330
- There were no trips to Florence in Season 36, however, the only previous trip to Florence from letsgocookitalian.com was on May 23, 2007, and that was Drew Carey's 49th birthday.
Chevrolet Corvette - $55,185

Total show prize value:  $244,055 (27 prizes)

Your Modeling Scorecard for September 25, 2008
Daily Records
High:  $67,603 (Nikki Ziering, 2001)
Low:  $16,197 (Gabrielle Tuite, 2006)

Rachel Reynolds
September 25
Total dollars:  $45,282
($21,357 won, $23,925 lost)
Total prizes:  12 (8-4)
Cars, Trips: 1, 1

After 4 shows
Total dollars:  $339,453
($152,627 won, $186,826 lost)
Total prizes:  35 (23-12)
Cars, Trips: 5, 6 (2-3, 4-2)

Brandi Sherwood
September 25
Total dollars:  $28,622
($13,418 won, $15,204 lost)
Total prizes:  7 (4-3)
Cars, Trips: 0, 2

After 4 shows
Total dollars:  $255,085
($117,687 won, $137,398 lost)
Total prizes:  31 (20-11)
Cars, Trips: 5, 6 (3-2, 4-2)

Tamiko Nash
September 25
Total dollars:
$166,698*
***NEW SEPTEMBER 25 RECORD***
***NEW TAMIKO NASH RECORD***
***NEW DREW CAREY RECORD***
($10,366 won, $156,332 lost)
Total prizes:  9 (6-3)
Cars, Trips: 1, 0

After 4 shows
Total dollars:  $429,799
($106,520 won, $323,279 lost)
Total prizes:  33 (23-10)
Cars, Trips: 8, 2 (2-6, 2-0)

That's three shows out of four where the daily record high has been broken.

Offline Eddie

• #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »
Quote from: JohnHolder
Stats keepers: How long has it been since someone had a wipeout on the first prize in GR? $2xx vs. $5xx is a little more challenging than that choice usually is (something like $8xx vs. $1xx), but she still shouldn't have wrecked on the first turn in the road.
I also was taken by surprise on this.  It goes to show that there are no patterns when it coming to choosing what prize is shown.  You could have a first prize where the opening digit is usually the higher number and it's easy to fall into the trap that it will always happen.  The contestant's guess and the way she fared in contestant's row shows how emotionally drained she was after spending hour in line.  

The Price is Right video game is also a good trap, because the retail price varies by platform.  The WII game is $40 but the PC game is only $20.  Unless You know the platform, You'll have to take a wild guess.

The Corvette in showcase round comes as a surprise.  You don't usually see a luxury car after Golden Road, but then again the budget isn't so tight during premiere week.  Otherwise we would've see a boat or trailer instead.
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2008, 11:48:13 PM »
I also was taken by surprise on this.  It goes to show that there are no patterns when it coming to choosing what prize is shown.  You could have a first prize where the opening digit is usually the higher number and it's easy to fall into the trap that it will always happen.

Uh...dude...it was the higher number.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline mlh1981

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 12:01:34 AM »
Why does Rich announce the "10000 dollars in cash!" Differently this year than he has in seasons past?  I like the old way better.  More animated.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2008, 01:17:13 AM »
Alicia: To completely blow on the very first prize in Golden Road that's bad! To not know how the one-bid works that's even worse!  :oldevil: Methinks she never has seen this show before. Correction I KNOW FOR SURE hasn't seen this show before!  :oldevil: It's unbelievable that she made it on stage!  :roll:

Coming Or Going: In my view it was a crapshoot. Luckily Matthew picked out the right one to win the trip to Maui.

1/2 Off: Very well played there by Shirley all ending with her picking out the right box to win the $10,000.

Balance Game: It was either $6213 or $7213. Unfortunately Carina didn't pick any of them and decided on $5213 which sadly wasn't successful.

Pass The Buck: Boy did Nicolas really blew of what could have been an easy GP setup there. Well at least he got $3000. Better than getting a "Lose Everything." I still wished the contestants would be the ones passing the buck instead of Drew. I wished the contestants would ask Drew if they would pass the buck instead. Besides they're the ones who are trying to win the car here or at least some cash.

One Right Price: I went with the tv as well.  :evil:

Showcases: Great bid by Carina today to redeem herself.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:19:15 AM by wpghi5 »

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 01:31:11 AM »
And they told me how Drew handled it during commercial break....he apparently let Alicia have it.  I was like Oh Boy.  He told Alicia during the commercial break "You thought that the game table was $287?"

Hearing this kind of stuff, along with the 3 Strikes insult a few days ago, make me believe that what was being said by a somewhat psychotic user on the IMdb forum was true (long story short: the poster claimed to be an insider to the show, claimed Drew was very rude to cast and crew, and ridiculed contestants in a not-so-very-nice way for their mistakes during the breaks).
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline UpsDriverMan

• In the Audience
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 08:45:18 AM »
steve you said that now that roger's gone we probably will never see drew come through the audience again, why do you say that?  i always thought roger preferred the door entrances but that it was bob's decision to start coming through the back of the house

Offline TPIRfan222

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 09:35:44 AM »
Drew rude to cast and crew? He's a comedian. He might have been making a joke.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »
Alica has to have been one the worst contestants I've ever seen. How did she pass the auditions and get called down if she had no idea what she was doing!?  :-(  The fact that Golden Road was wasted on someone like her ruined the entire show for me.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »
Drew rude to cast and crew? He's a comedian. He might have been making a joke.

That's why I said the poster was psychotic... well that, and the fact that she thought G-R.net was a bunch of evil lemmings, along with a variety of other strange beliefs.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.